iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quercus Robur

Started by iain, October 18, 2004, 11:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

i've got my sweaty paws on the sweetest oak to come down in this area for a while
 touching 64"dia at 24" above ground (almost no buttresing) and still 47 at 22' up i need the bottom in one 120" length
 its got LOTS of burr down the back  a slight bend  core samples both good and brown no rot
my workings show about 7.1 tons this sound about right to you all?

iain

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

woodhaven

I get a little closer to 8 tons.
Richard

iain

8) 8) 8) 8)
 thought i was going to half to quarter the log but have found a 10ton hiab to lift the first two sections can now go maybe to 14' each 8) 8) 8) 8)

rebocardo

I do not know what type of oak Quercus Robur is, but, if it is anything like white oak (70+ pounds per c3 ft green) that bottom 120 inches of the tree probably weighes close to 8 tons and not seven.

iain

got it all last thursday no pics of the action during the day as the rain and hail was hard enough to hurt
got the big log in a 14foot length as the crane that turned up was a 26000kg at two meters from the body
pulled to 12 foot out then up and straight on 8)
picked the second butt up at 18 foot out
spent all day picking up timber i've got around derby
now got about 75 tons of burr black poplar, oak, ash at the mill to keep me quite during december still got to build a BIG slabber got two orders for slab table tops from the big butt already  8) not sure how they knew the stuff had arrivedpics to follow when its not raining

iain

rebocardo

Quercus Robur = English Oak = Derby England!

I get it   :D

Doing some Yahooing, it lives 700 years. That is pretty long.

iain

legend is 300 growing up 300 hanging out 300 to die aint counted the rings yeti think i'll ask ginger tom he likes that kind of job :D

iain

ohsoloco

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still waiting for pics of this thing  ;)  Iain seems a little scatterbrained since Jeff dressed him up in pink  :D

Jeff

I never dressed him up, I'm just parading him around. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ohsoloco

Ah, that's right...he dressed up like that himself  :D

iain

I got the pics, just can't get them to stay on the computer long enough to do any thing with them, got lots of pics for posts all over this place, could'nt even load my tutu pic, had to email it to jeff to load for me, the pink bits were his handling charge ;)

Jeff

Whats da problem with the computer there iain?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iain

The prob is when ever i import to an album, the pic's get dumped so nothing is stored >:(.
Going to un/reinstall the lot ::)

iain

Ianab

iain

Do you have an option of using explorer to copy files from the camera to your "my documents" folder manually? Often the camera will appear as an extra drive letter on your machine.
It sounds like the software is creating an album actually in the camera and not transfering the files to your hard disk. When you erase the camera they are gone  :(

Try copying the files manually and see if that works.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodmills1

go to irfanview.com and download their free program.  Once i did that every time I download from my camera the irfanview program picks them up and stores them.  It's free it's good
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!