iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM sharpener cam motor stall

Started by marcd, August 10, 2019, 07:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcd

Hello everyone i am new to the forum and have a question about an older WM bandsaw sharpener I just bought. I have started using the sharpener and everything works fine but once in a while the blade seams hard to push and the cam motor stops. When it is stopped if i move the speed adjustment the motor starts right back up again and runs fine for another while. So i wanted to know if anyone here had the same problem?
To my knowledge an electric motor usually have a lot of torque and should not have any issues pushing the blade but i dont know about this particular set up. Should i replace the motor or should i be looking somewhere else???

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Sawmill Man

"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

pineywoods

Crud on the back side of the blade where you won't see it. Clean blades before sharpening.
Notch worn in the roll pin on the end of the pusher arm, hangs on the backstroke.
Insufficient lube, water pump cloggs with grinder dust.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

marcd

Thank you very much for the replies i will be looking into this issue this week end as i will have more blades to sharpen. but i think you guys are pointing in the right directions since the blade was hard to install in the blade guide.

Thanks again and ill post this week ends outcome

donbj

You may have the clamp pressure too high. I have the old drag sharpener as well and when it works too hard it quits til it cools for a few minutes. Anyway, two things to consider.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

woodyone.john

Mine does this sometimes.Worse when the oil and machine is hot and the advance speed is slow. I blame the circuitry but have yet to do something about it
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Bandmill Bandit

ALL of the above,  PLUS a set of new brushes in both motors and a good cleaning of the motors helped mine get back to normal.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!