iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having trouble squaring cant.

Started by John_Haylow, May 16, 2008, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I was milling some hemlock today and things were going good until loaded this log that had a pretty good bow in it. I tried getting it level with the roller toe boards as best I could. I got it down to a 9x9 cant but I can't seem to get it square. It seems to sit on the mill bunks ok but not square against the back stops.I checked the mill and all is well so I unloaded the cant and cut another log, which turned out fine. Could this be just stress in the log or am I missing something?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Dave Shepard

Do you have a four or six foot level, or other straight edge, to check all sides? I keep a six footer near the mill for checking this stuff. I have seen hemlock do some serious contorting before, however I have been sawing for a week and haven't had one even think about moving. If the next log behaved, I would attribute it to log stress.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

If it was just one incident I wouldn't even worry about it. You probably got a piece of bark or something between cant and the back support or under the cant on a turn – likely the second turn - and didn't notice it. 

Once it's out of square there is little you can do but clamp it so it's square with the back support (assuming they are square with the bed) and make an adjustment cut.  Then the next turn should be square again then the next turn should be tight to the bed and to the back support but the "top" will require an adjustment cut.

The only time I get real excited about the cant being square is when I'm making beams for the timber framers. They're an anal bunch.  I'll likely saw using the 180 flip method and check with a speed square when I turn it up to make the third face.

We saw out a lot of 8x8s for a log house company and I know they want them square but they have never rejected one yet so I guess I'm doing ok.   Sometimes a cant will start out a little out of square and if you're sawing grade off it and turning on every cut,  the cant tends to get more square as it get closer to size.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

bibby do you notice if the blade gets dull there is a slight crown on the face of some larger cants?  happened to me once and the timber framer was livid, seems he was getting used to my nice "rough cut" beams and was measuring from an edge rather than a center line
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

You is 'sposed to measure from the edge, at least in square rule. ;) You pick a "best face" and a "best edge" and all joinery is layed out while visualizing a perfect timber in the middle.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Rhoad

If you are getting a crowned cut, that will sometimes make an out of square cant. When you dog or clamp the cant it might roll on the crown and make your cut out of square.

Cedarman

Crowning is usually a sign of not enough blade tension. or poor set on one side of blade.

When checking for squareness of cants, make sure the square you using is truely square. One of my sawyers was squaring up the mill and could not make it saw square.  The cant read square on 3 corners and not the forth. From geometry that is impossible. Instead of 90 degrees it was about 93 degrees.  Ate his lunch so to speak.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 16, 2008, 09:25:19 PM
bibby do you notice if the blade gets dull there is a slight crown on the face of some larger cants?  happened to me once and the timber framer was livid, seems he was getting used to my nice "rough cut" beams and was measuring from an edge rather than a center line

I've really not had a crown problem.  We upgraded to the new, new super guides last summer and we are using Wood-Mizer new or resharp blades and the cuts have been coming out real well. 

That and the new Accuset 2 setworks have our old mill putting out pretty accurate lumber.  If and when we make a bad board, it's pretty much my fault.   :-[
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

John_Haylow

Thanks for your replies everyone. Things went well today with no problems. I'm cutting 6x6 -6x8s for a dock builder. I'm looking forward to having a roof to work under later this summer.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Thank You Sponsors!