iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Nice photos of the white birds. Never see white birds here, except maybe see a pigeon that may be nearly all white.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

A year or so after we moved here we had a couple of white phase wild turkeys that showed up for a couple of years. I always wondered if a domestic turkey had gotten loose and interbred with the wild stock. The robin amazed me because he came back fro several years. I had a white baby coon born and raised till nearly grown 2 years ago before I quite seeing him. I have lots of pictures of him that season as he hung around my deer feeder and finally started coming here to the house. He was a true albino while the turkeys and robin above are just a white phase. Always neat to see something unusual like that though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Nice pictures.
I remember that white racoon. Seem like he was a little fellow too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=98086.msg1516174#msg1516174

Here is the thread. he was just a few weeks old the first time I saw him and about half grown the last time I saw him 3 months later.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Baltimore orioles are back!! Male and female. They are feeding on Dollar General grape jelly. I won't feed them the jelly/jam Brenda makes.  ;D
I would suspect I need to put the other feeder out too. Last year we had at least a couple pair. For all I know we could of had 6 pairs. Hard to tell, but we only would see 2 males at a time and 2 females too. So we had at least 2 pair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen them here for years. But I did here a rose breast grosbeak at the woodlot on the weekend. First time I ever saw one was up there, then seen them around the house.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

I talked to my sister this morning and she told me she checked one of her Blue bird nest and there were three but two of them were dead and the live one was wet so with our four inches of rain must of drown the two and not sure if the mother bird will return or not . But sad you just wonder how many baby's survive .
Bill

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen the blue birds for 2 days.

Chuck White

We have lots of Bluebirds, Tree Swallows, Hummingbirds, and Orioles!

Haven't seen the Tufted Titmouse in over a week!

Tomorrow I have to get to DG and get some more of their cheap grape jelly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I'd say we have about 8 tree swallows here sitting on the wires. I think there are also some barn swallows around, that just arrived this week. We've never had lots of blue birds, in fact never had any at all here until recent. About 80 miles north of here in Nictau and the neighboring park of mount Carleton, they recorded blue birds years ago and in recent years, not a one. We are at the fringe here of a lot of stuff including tolerant hardwoods and butternut.

Autocar

Mom came back an is taking care of her one surviving baby  ;).
Bill

Chuck White

Well, things have changed a little, now I have a PAIR OF TUFTED TITMOUSE'S, or is it Titmice! ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Well, I see the bluebirds back again and at the other nest box this time. The swallows took over the nest box that bluebirds usually take. Did that come out right? :D

doc henderson

Quarantine must be over, the squirrels and orioles are eating out together!

squirrel in the jar, and the oriole is the yellow spot above the feeder in front of the clump of leaves.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

I really like watching the birds, I believe we have 3 pairs of Orioles, feeding on grape jelly and orange halves out on the deck!

SwampDonkey

This guy has been around all week crowing. Last night, in an approaching thunder storm, he high tailed it across the grain field and across the lawn in front of the porch. Blurry photo because he was on the run. :D

Years ago, I was at an old abandoned farm looking at the woods for a new owner. The field had neck high thick weeds. There was pheasants there and they could run and hide in those thick weeds with ease. A human being would be all tangled up in the first 3 steps. :D

WV Sawmiller

I went out and took the top off the bluebird box 30 yards from the corner of the house and took these pictures. Either one egg did not hatch or has not hatched yet. The mother returned right after I put the top back on. The father swooped at me I guess to chase me off. I guess it will be 3-4 weeks before the babies are old enough to leave the nest. You can just see the "ladder" I built under the hole to help them  climb out. I cut grooves about half an inch apart with my RAS to make the steps. I trust they will work fine. We are enjoying watching them.

Howard Green

SwampDonkey

I find that the blue birds build up the nest to the hole, they put a lot of stuff into their nest boxes. Nice to see the babies there. Mine are setting now, I'm sure they are not hatched yet. :)

WV Sawmiller

My wife heard a "thud" this morning and looked out and saw a pile of feathers falling in the air. Evidently the male bluebird had crashed into a blue jay flying too close to the nest box. We went out on the porch and watched a while and I saw a downy or hairy woodpecker land on a dying ash tree about 10-15 ft from the nest box. The male bluebird immediately swooped at him and chased him off. I never knew they were so territorial and aggressive. We are having a blast watching this pair. The little ones hatched nearly a week ago I guess so we should be able to enjoy them for about another month before they graduate and move on. The next time I am out I will check the other 2 boxes and see if any activity there. I have not seen any but I can hope.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

Oh yes, I've seen the blue birds tag team a tree swallow that laid claim to the box they wanted. :D

WV Sawmiller

We've watched this one send an imprudent fox squirrel who parked his butt on top of the birdbox packing in real short order. I'm not sure he isn't still running. :D This one even swooped at me when I took the top off to take the last picture I posted.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Here are the baby bluebirds a week since the last picture and I see the last egg hatched since then. The parents buzzed me several times in the minute or so I had the top off the box. I really respect their courage and diligence! I guess that would be about like me charging an adult blue whale.

I can see 4 separate beaks but am pretty sure there are 5 babies in there.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!