iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of Eucalyptus is this

Started by Ernie, March 16, 2005, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I have posted some pix in the Sawmilling threads but I dont know what kind of Eucalyptus we have just milled, Anyone have any ideas?

The sapwood has turned brown from white within one day.

Took this picture yesterday, today all the sapwood has turned brown, it is quite attractive, I should have included a pic.

Thanks for your help

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Hi Ernie

Looks a lot like the one I sawed up a while back.

I believe it's E. globulus, Tasmanian Blue Gum. ( this is only my best guess )  ;) The pink colour has faded on mine as it dried, and it's hard to tell the sapwood from heart on the boards. The wood seems very unstable as it dries, but q-sawn its a lot better. It's very hard and dense but seems to go through the planer OK. I wouldn't like to try and nail up 4x2s of it tho  :D I'm going to try a bit of furniture making with mine.

Aussie Dept of Ag page about it.
http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/environment/trees/publications/Timber_Advisory_Notes/TAN23.HTM
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Thanks  Ian

A few years ago, I cut some with the Chainsaw mill and made this floor

We used two different types of Euc and both have faded badly in the sun  as we can see when we shift a chair.

As for nailing, it's easier to drill first :( :( :(

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!