iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tradtional Timber Framing Workshop with Jack Sobon

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 05, 2013, 12:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

and Dave Carlon.

Recently I saw Dave Carlon who teaches with Jack Sobon at the Hancock Shaker Village in western MA at Heartwood school. And I asked him how many openings did he have for this September's class.

Jack Sobon has just emailed me that they still have 8 opening for this month's class that begins on Wednesday, September the 25th, 2013 and run 5 days to Sunday the 29th when they will raise the frame that the students have cut.

I have taken this course and it is a great way to learn timber framing, by doing all the joinery with hand tools only. NO power tools at all.

Attached is a pdf file which is a flier and registration form about the course including the costs ($480). This is one of the best deals going.

I will be there on Friday morning.

If you sign up be sure to tell them you heard about it here on the Forestry Forum.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

VictorH

Thanks Jim

You mentioned this months class - Do they have a class every month?

Victor

Jim_Rogers

No, only once a year in September. That's it with Jack and Dave. They have been teaching this class every year since 1985 or so.

When I when there I stayed in a camping trailer at a nearby state run campground for $10 a night. Now I think the same campground is up to about $15 per night.
If someone wanted a link to that campground I think I could find it. There are nearby motels as well.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Carpenter

Sounds like fun!  To bad Massachusetts is so far away.   :(

Piston

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 05, 2013, 12:17:53 PM...the costs ($480). This is one of the best deals going.

$480?  That is a very cheap price to pay relative to the amount of knowledge and experience you'd get with those two instructors! 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dave VH

If it was only closer, and my schedule a bit more open, I would love to take that class.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Dave VH

I cut it twice and it's still too short

Piston

Quote from: Dave VH on September 09, 2013, 09:16:27 PM
Do you think they have it on video?

No, however, Jack has a really great book that you may be interested in if you haven't purchased it already.
http://www.amazon.com/Timber-Frame-Construction-Post-Beam/dp/0882663658
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!