iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Didn't know I needed one....

Started by D6c, January 14, 2022, 04:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Bought a gas powered leaf blower to fan air into some brush piles I was burning.....that worked well.
A few days ago we had some light snow and I blew off the porch, patio and walk.
Then this morning I found that it works really good to blow off the sawmill after a days sawing.
Wonder what else it's good for...besides leaves.

Sometimes you find something you didn't know you needed.

HemlockKing

Yup those get a brush pile cookin good
A1

btulloh

Sweeping the patio and sidewalk, cleaning the workshop and garage, cleaning the tractor after bush hogging, unstopping downspouts, to name a few. Added a battery version just to keep at the house. 
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Yep and wait till you try a battery powered circle saw for trimming boards and cutting up stickers out of your edgings and such. A customer had one and after that I bought one and my only thoughts are how did I get by this long without one.

I bought the battery powered leaf blower after thieves stole my gas one I used to blow the mill off and burn brush piles. I got the same batter system for a couple of cordless drills now the circle saw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I've used my battery powered blower for all of those things.  I've also used it to blow out my garage so I can use it for a paint spraying booth.  I've used it to blow dust off of a project I'm about to paint or finish.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 14, 2022, 05:01:40 PM
  Yep and wait till you try a battery powered circle saw for trimming boards and cutting up stickers out of your edgings and such. A customer had one and after that I bought one and my only thoughts are how did I get by this long without one.
Yep, I have ryobi 18v stuff and I use that little battery circ saw for cutting stickers to length.  I used a battery recip saw before that, but the circ saw is much better.  I also left it out in the rain for a few days.  It's a little noisy but still works fine.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

X2 on the circ saw.

1/2" battery impact wrench is a game changer too.  Got two of em now.
HM126

Tom King

I've had a 13hp Billygoat blower (on wheels) long enough to wear out the first motor on it.  I bought it from a rental place that had rented it twice.  The first lady they rented it to couldn't start it, and the second lady blew some Boxwoods out of the ground that she had just planted.  It'll clear an 8' swath of leaves, rocks, sticks, and mice in one pass.

I keep one Indian pump with water, and one with Kerosene.

On large brush piles with the Billygoat, and some sprayed kerosene, it will not only send the fire all the way under a large pile in a hurry, but you can see up close how effective Kerosene and Oxygen were for rocket fuel, as used in the Saturn V rockets.

WV Sawmiller

I went ahead and got the 4.5" angle grinder that uses the same battery while I was at it. I still use the corded 1/2" impact wrench and its a great tool but one of these days I'll back into a cordless one and add it to the inventory. I'm using 20V Braun stuff from HF right now and getting good service from all of it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

+1 on the above leaf blower uses.

Blow drying the car or truck after a hand washing is an excellent use as is blowing sawdust out of my shop.  I blow leaves out of my boat should they accumulate there. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

D6c

Quote from: Tom King on January 14, 2022, 05:09:33 PM
I've had a 13hp Billygoat blower (on wheels) long enough to wear out the first motor on it.  I bought it from a rental place that had rented it twice.  The first lady they rented it to couldn't start it, and the second lady blew some Boxwoods out of the ground that she had just planted.  It'll clear an 8' swath of leaves, rocks, sticks, and mice in one pass.

I keep one Indian pump with water, and one with Kerosene.

On large brush piles with the Billygoat, and some sprayed kerosene, it will not only send the fire all the way under a large pile in a hurry, but you can see up close how effective Kerosene and Oxygen were for rocket fuel, as used in the Saturn V rockets.
Yea, the other day I was saying I need to build a fire truck..... not to put out fires but to start them.  One with diesel fuel sprayer, blower, and weed burner..... since they won't sell me a flame thrower.

farmfromkansas

I have a plug in version blower, had not thought about getting a battery one.  Better think again.  bet it would work good to blow out a tractor cab.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Tom King

Not cordless, but I have one of these with a 100' cord tied to it.  It's about as strong as any backpack blower.

Amazon.com : Toro PowerJet F700 140 MPH 725 CFM 12 Amp Electric Handheld Leaf Blower : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I bought my Wife a Worx cordless one that is not too bad, but I'm spoiled to the stronger ones.

From Home Depot, I needed a larger battery for the 18v polesaw, and a big battery was cheaper with a free cordless leafblower, than the battery alone.  At first I thought it was pretty pitiful, but it stays in my truck, and I've used it Way more than I thought I would.  It's probably my most used blower.

btulloh

My Milwaukee 18v blower is about the same power as my bg55 stihl blower. 9ah battery lasts pretty long time.

Seems like the more battery tools i add, the more things look like a good idea for battery version.  Got the battery angle grinder, decided that a battery die grinder would be good. Definitely like having battery sawzall in addition to the circ saw. Added a battery grease gun a couple weeks ago.  So my list of ESSENTIAL battery tools keeps getting longer instead of shorter.
HM126

Magicman

My Stihl gas blower is always in my truck to blow the sawmill off at the end of the day.  We all take turns and blow each other off too. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Be careful doing that, they can blow particles into the skin causing inflammation. A trucker friend bought an 18V Milwaukee grease gun, says it is the best 500 bucks he has ever spent. It does NOT get lent out. A job that used to take an hour on logging rigging now takes 20 minutes. My cheapie, yeah I should know better but it was free, electric leaf blower is the cat's meow for blowing out the truck cab.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Back when I was working on the farm, we used the blower to blow the cobwebs and loose flakes of whitewash down before the whitewash truck arrived to spray!

That was a lot faster than a broom!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moodnacreek

In the sawmill they are great for clean up. N.Y. plans to outlaw them along with everything else that goes put-put.

Ljohnsaw

Really, no one is going to admit to it?  Or is it I can get away with it since I don't have a spouse?  I use the DeWalt 20v leaf blower to blow out the accumulation of leaves and dirt that make it in the front or back doors!  Beats sweeping or getting the vacuum out.  Really sends the dog hair flying.
8)
Been collecting 20v tools for 6 or 7 years now?  Got the grease gun a while back.  My son has his first job and he got me the 4.5 inch angle grinder for Christmas.  Now that one is pretty good!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

I've posted this before but a gas or battery leaf blower is great for blowing the dust off/between stickered, air drying lumber and in the warmer months is a safer way to locate any wasps or hornets who may have built a nest in the lumber. You can disturb and locate the wasps from a safe distance with the moving air and can also use it to defend yourself. Once located, you can return with the appropriate pesticide to kill them from a safe distance. 
Howard Green

Crossroads

I also use mine to detail the inside of my pickup 🤓
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dave Shepard

My M18 blower is good at cleaning under the mill. My Stihl BR800C is unbelievable at most anything. Be sure to blow the snow before walking on it. Can you guess where I walked? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYX11jAZEyg
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Doug Wis

How many  battery powered tools does one need?

just one more
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Cruiser_79

I use my Stihl blower for round the sawmill and for cleaning under the edger. Easy to separate the flints and barks from the sawdust. And on the farm for roughly cleaning the combine harvester.  Make sure to park it outside in as much wind as possible and start cleaning upwind  :D  When finished it only takes a little time to clean the small spots with compressed air. 

moodnacreek

Quote from: Doug Wis on January 14, 2022, 09:53:35 PM
    How many  battery powered tools does one need?

just one more
Anyone you will use, it's the batteries that really cost.

Thank You Sponsors!