iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Hand Pruners?

Started by GaTrapper, January 27, 2022, 07:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Anything better than Felco?  

Need something to prune my fruit trees with that's better than the box store cheapos.

Thanks!

btulloh

Stihl dealers have some decent ones. Pruning saws too. I'm sure they're made by someone else and branded for Stihl, kinda like the logrite canthooks they sell. 

There are good ones out there but not in the box stores. Any saw and equipment dealer that serves landscape and lawn pros should have good ones. 
HM126

GaTrapper

I use those exact ones for larger branches.  I'm trying to find good hand pruners now. I previously had Fiskar hand pruners and wasn't impressed. I have some Corona forged pruners that are great in the garden, but hard on the hands when working with my fruits trees, blackberry bushes, and blueberry plants. 

HemlockKing

After using the stihl hand pruning saws I never touch loppers anymore, I've been threw so many sets of loppers they seem to break fast. The hand saws do a clean job and can usually cut branches in a pull or 2
A1

21incher

I have some Okatsune pruners that I like but you have to keep them oiled good so they don't rust. Their pruning scissors are great for the garden.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DMcCoy

Felco #2 has been the standard with us nursery people for over 40 yrs.  My oldest pair is 40+ yrs old.  Expensive but they do last, and the blade and spring parts are available  I snapped up a used pair at an auction once for $23 in a pile of other stuff I didn't want.  I still have those as well.  It's too bad they cost so much but they have been for me a 1 time purchase.  I have a small box of others(single blade bypass) that never get used even though they 'work'.  The #2 has wide comfortable handles and are relatively light.  I used mine today - no joking around.  My kids will inherit and use them too.  Once you get over the price you will never look back imho.

dgdrls

Quote from: GaTrapper on January 27, 2022, 07:19:07 AM
Anything better than Felco?  

Need something to prune my fruit trees with that's better than the box store cheapos.

Thanks!
Nope,
I inherited my Uncles #2,  new spring and a light sharpening, good as new.
And as @DMcCoy posted this set is also over 40 years old.
D

mike_belben

I think the fiskars ultrasharp one hander bypass pruners are pretty good. Theyve got a little rotary gear increaser mechanism thats hard to tell from pics.  The loppers previosly posted are great.  Also gear reduction.  

Is felco affiliated with knipex?  I noticed a felco cable that is identical to my knipex cutters. 
Praise The Lord

21incher

I just picked up another pair of Okatsune pruners to use on my fruit trees. These are the 104 and they are slightly larger then the 103 set I also have . They are extremely well balanced and comfortable in my hand. Japanese steel that holds the edge for a long time and the spring design is much better then my old Felcos. The clip for holding them closed is awesome and very easy to use.  You have to be careful to get the actual Okatsune from Japan models because there many knockoffs. I would never go back to Felco pruners after these. Just have to oil them after use to keep rust at bay.  Guess we all have our favorites that develop over years of use.

These are the smaller ones I use for garden shears that have a couple years on them.   

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

My favorite are the old fashioned steel bypass pruners made in Japan. Last forever. But, Swiss made Felco is probably one of the best brands out there. They have a number of models. That Japanese one is also on this site with Felco's.

Pruners at Leevalley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NS_HuntNFarm

I don't believe there is anything superior than Felcos. Buy once and have them for your lifetime, then hand them down. Our whole apple industry in NS uses them as well as other much larger fruit growing areas. This is what I have observed in pruning demonstration videos and orchard tours. All the parts are available if anything fails. They are also available in left hand models if thats something you are after. 

Felcos are awfully good for cutting rubber hose and water pipe too when you are doing DIY tasks. Just don't cut live 120v wires, apparently the handles melt from my fathers experience.  :D 

Bahco loppers are a bit more affordable then the Felco loppers if you are cutting something a bit larger or want a bit more reach. Hickok loppers are made in the USA and are pretty decent too but seem to develop some slop after years of use. 

Add a silky saw and a pole pruner and you can do a lot of fruit tree pruning the old style. We use a lot of pneumatic and electric pruners for a lot of the work now. I'm sure the Italians will come up with a laser pruner or something wild in the years coming. They are constantly innovating on products for orchardists. 
Orchard farmer & Forest tech (almost), I may like trees......

DMcCoy

Quote from: 21incher on February 06, 2022, 09:53:25 AM
I just picked up another pair of Okatsune pruners to use on my fruit trees. These are the 104 and they are slightly larger then the 103 set I also have . They are extremely well balanced and comfortable in my hand. Japanese steel that holds the edge for a long time and the spring design is much better then my old Felcos. The clip for holding them closed is awesome and very easy to use.  You have to be careful to get the actual Okatsune from Japan models...
I buy the second pictured size as well.  Use them almost daily. They ride in on my TD cart along with my felco's.  Those are nice clippers, and I have worn out a few pairs.

Thank You Sponsors!