iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine fence post

Started by AugustaGA, October 27, 2008, 07:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustaGA

Im on acreage that needs to be perimetered off. My tract has enough young pines that are the right diameter that I could use these as posts for barbed wire. Is this a good idea?

Tom

It's an excellant idea, if you get them treated.

you can cut them to length and stack them untill the bark begins to slip, then take the bark off and take them to a treatment plant.

semologger

I dont know what they will charge you to treat them. I might be easier to just buy some. If they wasnt treated they wouldnt last no time at all.

DanG

Around here, it costs around a buck to a buck and a half to have them treated, depending on the size.  That's a pretty good savings from buying posts at a farm supply place or box store.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

This document lists the natural durability of wood from around the world. Pine is rated at a 4, which is the least durable (as in resistant to decay).

http://msucares.com/forestproducts/topics/documents/natural_durability.pdf

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

semologger

I am putting in a post peeler. For a 3 1/2 X 7 i am only going to get 1.60 a piece. price goes up for bigger ones but not much.

easymoney

the kind of pine that grows around here would have bugs feasting on them as soon as you put them in the ground. you would have to replace them at least once a year.

woodmills1

I saw a post about the plastic socks that slip over the buried ends of a post but can't remember the product name.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!