iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forcat skidder

Started by VTLogger, March 01, 2020, 10:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTLogger

Just checking to see if anyone else have a forcat skidder on here?  Have a couple questions 

Don P

Don't have one but have used one for a little bit, we're in the mountains, it is a better low impact flatland machine. I used it for a little over a week in exchange for cleaning it up and servicing it. I nearly rolled it and stuck to the flatter places here. I got a call early the next week asking what to do to get it running again after a rollover.

VTLogger

I'm trying to figure out how to start them in cold weather,  had mine for about 4 yrs,   the first couple I didn't need it but the last couple I really could have used it.
  It seams when it gets below 30 it does not want to start

Don P

Is yours a Perkins with glow plugs and a block heater?

VTLogger

No,  it's the older one with the 27hp Kohler motor,  I put a new carb. on it thinking it would help but no luck,, it's fine when at home, I just keep in the shed with a small heater..  it's when I have to leave it in the woods it be comes a problem..  it it gets real cold it just hates to start.

47sawdust

Can you take a gas grill size tank with a small radiant heater on top to the spot in the woods where you leave Forcat.
I use one for a variety of different equipment.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brian_Rhoad

Kohler makes a "cold weather kit" for their engines.

VTLogger

Cold weather kit?   I gotta looking in to that!  I like the propane heater idea 

RealDeal

I have one of the really old Forcats, with a 24hp Onan motor.  Never had problems starting down to zero, and below that I tend to not want to start any machine.  I guess check the basic things like making sure your plugs are good and that the choke actually works, and with mine I have to still give it a little throttle when choked and cold starting.  The fuel pump and vacuum line could also be a place to check, although the vacuum line isn't a fun job when it's sitting out in the woods and freezing.  The cheap little fuel filter that looks like a clear fishing bobber should be full of fuel but if you have a leaking vacuum line or just a weak pump that filter won't have much fuel in it.  Could almost use a primer bulb to make sure it's full on startup.  Maybe try some starting fluid too. 

RealDeal

Now that I think about it, the Kohler engine is probably very different regarding the vacuum line and fuel pump.  In that case, forget what I said and sorry if you wasted your time reading my last post.

Thank You Sponsors!