iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Woodburner

I like the shed too. It will fit 1.8 but he has it loaded at 1.375 now.

When I figure how much is in my wood shed I take the length of wood x the number of rows to get the depth rather than figuring the depth of my shed since I stack with air space between rows. My shed can technically fit 4.5 cord per side at 8x12x6' high each side for 9 cord total (mine is partitioned in the middle so I have the year I am burning and next years under cover). I cut my firewood at 18" and stack 7 rows deep, so I only count the depth dimension as 10.5' even thought he shed is 12' deep. So I figure I really only have 4 cord of firewood on each side and the rest is air space. I burn about 4 cord per year so that works good for me.

I really should have made my shed with 3 bays at 4 cord each as I am typically more than 2 years ahead which means I have at least 4 cord that won't fit in the shed and eventually needs to be re-handled.

SwampDonkey

Well, I was able to drive out the woods trails today with the SxS and picked out 3 cedars that made 7 straight 6' long fence posts. I could drive within a couple hundred feet of the cedar woods. Got them home and am barking and sharpening a point on them. Bark ain't slipping yet on cedar, but has to be barked as they are going in the grape vine garden.  ffwave
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

what problems does bark on cause to grapes?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Peeled cedar will last much much longer then unpeeled. 
I peeled a lot of cedar.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

And the bark naturally falling off when in your grapes looks like a mess. :D

Bark tends to attracts bugs which help decay fungi.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

that's it?  so, the bark on is fine?   ffcheesy ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

cutterboy

I have a firewood customer that wants green wood in March. So, I have been working on that and today I was able to get my tractor into the woods. I cut down a good sized hickory  that was leaning hard over a tractor path. Then the stem was cut into rounds.

I left the stump about 20" high and when I went to cut it off I realized it would be too big and heavy for me to handle. So I took the chainsaw and cut the stump right down the middle from the top to the ground. Then I cut it off leaving two halves.

As I was starting to load the firewood carrier my wife called and said there was a lumber customer there (who came without calling ahead  :veryangry: ) He was willing to wait for me. Since I was loading up and heading home for lunch anyway it was no big deal. I quickly loaded six rounds and headed home.

This is how I handle those big rounds at the wood splitter.

With the rounds in the tractor bucket at a height slightly higher than the wood splitter I can grab a round, turn and place it on the splitter. I'm not lifting it, just holding it and turning. I have the rounds laying down in the tractor bucket, not standing up as shown in the picture. Then split and stack in the box.

Keep on cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

I used to have that same splitter, Cutter. Good machine, they're not fast but they are strong.
Too many irons in the fire

woodroe

Quote from: barbender on March 23, 2024, 01:23:19 AMI used to have that same splitter, Cutter. Good machine, they're not fast but they are strong.
Looks like my troybilt. Strong but not fast describes it pretty good.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Discovered an 18" fir across the road this morning up by the woodlot. Uprooted from wind we just had. Went home for a saw and splitting maul. Was chalk white, no rot except a little bit on the first bolt off the stump with some ant activity. But barely see any at stump height unless you looked close. Bucked and split an oversized buggy load of firewood, some was in on the seat, the back was well rounded up, and tossed off the brush to the side. Made the 3 mile trip back home and added the firewood to next winter's pile.  ffwave

B.C.C. Lapp

Cutter i use almost the same set up exactly.  Rounds are loaded into the tractor bucket. The bucket is positioned on my left side about arms length away.  The other tractor bucket, or a small dump trailer, is across the splitter from me. So all I have to do is turn, grab a round, its already at the splitter height, move it on to the splitter.   Its easy cause I don't have to lift the round. Just support it onto the splitter.  The split wood goes in the other bucket and I either stack it when full or if Mrs Lapp is helping I just dump the buckets right at the pallets and she will stack.   Mrs. Lapp actually likes stacking she says its good for the waist line.  I hope she never changes her mind because if I split 10 or 12 buckets, which is somewheres around a cord if she stacks 4 or 5 of them it really speeds things up.
Loading even big rounds into the bucket is easy as its down on the ground.   Until I get a processor, unlikely at best, its the fastest and easiest set up Ive tried.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

g_man

I like your stacking system BCC.  I don't think I could pay the dues for something like that.

gg

cutterboy

No, my wife is not interested either.

B.C.C. Lapp

Yup, I know how lucky I am she helps.  I don't take it for granted or ever leave her to much because if it turns into to much she might not like to come out and help.  But she's a farm girl and working outside, getting her hands dirty is a way of life.     I doubt I could ever keep her inside when there is work to be done that she can do.

B.C.C. Lapp

In for a warm lunch and a cup of coffee. Pics from this morning in my wood yard.

This is the setup I'm using mostly now.   Tweak it as equipment and time allows.

B.C.C. Lapp

And my stacking system, ffcool   Like everybody else that sells wood I sell the best and burn all the junks for my own stoves.  Like all the shorty end pieces.  We call them chunky's.    .
But Ill tell you what, don't ever lose your head and call your stacker "My little chunky girl."
You might get a chunky up the side of your head.  Just saying. ffcheesy

cutterboy

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on March 25, 2024, 12:37:33 PMLike all the shorty end pieces.  We call them chunky's.    .
But Ill tell you what, don't ever lose your head and call your stacker "My little chunky girl."
You might get a chunky up the side of your head.  Just saying. ffcheesy
ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

btw, nice set up BCC and thanks for all the pictures.

Magicman

I wheelbarrowed all of my unused firewood back to the woodshed Saturday and emptied the ashes from the insert.  
I am officially calling Winter over.  ffwave
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've got at least another month of serious burning left, then tapers off. A cord and a half should keep things warm.  :uhoh:

Wlmedley

Supposed to have snow flurries here in a couple days so I'll leave a little wood on the porch.Last year I quit April 1 and had my largest electric bill in April .
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

doc henderson

running AC today.  humid and was 75o    in the house.

g_man

Winter storm warning for tomorrow night and Thursday here. Heavy snow and high winds with flurries lingering into Friday and Saturday morning.

gg

Breezybrzez

Had to toss another 2 buckets from the tractor into basement today. We've had more snow in past week than all of January, February and most of march.

SwampDonkey

A 3 day blizzard on tap up here, 12-18" possible.  ffcheesy I've got wood to get stacked, but not digging it out of snow and ice. It can wait.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

I'm hoping the steel gets on the shop roof today and the siding. Not a huge shop, so should be no problem.

Thank You Sponsors!