iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thriceor and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

g_man

I have the firewood I pulled out early last winter all blocked up now. Who would believe it is to hot to start splitting it in the middle of April.

gg 

jimbarry

barbender

Using the heck out of that scale, love it!

I hope you have your safety arm in place when you are getting out and working around the raised loader arms.

You Canucks' speech sounds pretty well the same as northern MN, except you say "out" and "about" funny and you day "garage" like Red Green😁
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

I'm in stacking mode here while the snow is on and before things get busy. I don't know where I'm going to stick it all, but will figure out something. Never burnt all last year's, will have 2-1/2 cord left over. I cut close to 10 cord last fall but room for 10, not 12-1/2. There's always the barn for the over flow I guess. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Yup Jim, we always used 2.5 metric tonne per cord of hard maple/beech/yellow birch when green and 8 foot lengths.  Obviously doesn't stack as tight as split firewood. ;) Green split maple firewood is probably 2.8 tonne/cord.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PoginyHill

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

rusticretreater

So the lesson here is to build wide feet for the bottom of the racks.  Another gem from the Forestry Forum!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Hilltop366

Perhaps it would have stood up with the firewood if a chain was wrapped around the entire load with a slider hook so it would hold the wood some and squeeze the sides a bit, a few boards on the back in between the chain and the fire wood would help too.

rusticretreater

I was thinking a piece of plywood and some big ratcheting straps.  Probably as much work as just restacking though.  :)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

some uprights along the stack, even a single up the middle of the stack would give the center something to hold onto.  or on the edges of each side.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jimbarry

Quote from: PoginyHill on April 18, 2023, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: PoginyHill on March 31, 2023, 07:28:03 AM
I feel your pain @711ac

Thanks to @beenthere for the reason this happened. Hope my fix will work for next spring!
Addressing some fallen firewood racks - YouTube
Use 1x4 or 1x6 and X-brace the ends of the racks together. Be sure to add fasteners in the middle of the X's. Here's a rough sketch. Using 1x boards will allow for the deflection needed where the two pieces cros over each other.

The white pieces are additional 2x4 or 1x6 you need to place there to secure the ends of the X's.

Or just fasten the ends of the X's to the side of your 2x4 upright pieces.
I'd use screws, easier to take off later without damaging the boards.

upnut

Spent a day moving log length pieces to my brother's log yard, closer to his woodshed. Bucked up the odds and ends left in my yard, where everything was staged due to time and room constraints. Last cuts....

Another load or two of bark and debris to clean up, repair some divots, ready to mow again.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

jeeper9574

Well this past weekend I had to get the last of my large rounds quartered up so I can start getting those split....

and make room for a load of logs. Time to get splitting and stacking  8)

Corley5

The Honda GX670 is retired. Almost ;) ;D. All that's left on the Kubota conversion is plumbing the fuel filters, fuel line from the tank, adding fuel to the tank, filling the hydraulic tank, and adding antifreeze, and engine oil. Should be running wood again tomorrow. Going to be interesting to see the difference in 24hp gas and 35hp diesel :) :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GRANITEstateMP

Corley,

I am watching, waiting for feedback, and envious! Is the raised oil tank for fuel or a big hydro reservoir?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

barbender

That 35hp diesel will have twice the power of the poor Honda. I bought a Kubota V1505 for my Woodmizer, but it's just sitting under the bench. The guy had a second one, I might go buy that and put one on the processor. Nothing wrong with mine, it's a carburated 38hp Kohler and it has plenty of power. It does drink the gas pretty fast though.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

The big tank is for fuel. 275 gallons I think. I was going to look at the tag before we put it on the stand today and forgot. I wanted a big tank as my fuel company has a 150-gallon minimum for delivery. I got it cheap and the big selling point was a working fuel gage 8) I had my help move the tank around in front of the garage one day and he got his wallet chain hooked on it and broke the indicator off. I wasn't happy. He hasn't come to work with that wallet since ;) ;D :)  
  I've worn out fuel cans keeping the Hondas fed. They would average 10 face cord on five gallons of gas. The 5hp on the elevator and the 24hp would run out at just about the same time. My next project is an electric motor to replace the 5hp :) No more gas.
  The GX670's performed well. I never thought they lacked for power and they are durable. This is the third one since the machine was new 12/14/2005. The first had what we figure was a defective cam from the factory. It only lasted 2,400 hours. The second went over 4,500 before a hole appeared in the block ;) I didn't put the hourmeter on this one 2 1/2 years ago when it was installed. It had sawn a couple hundred thousand board feet on Fla Deadheader's bandmill in a previous life.
  I picked up the fittings at HD tonight to plumb the filters. In the morning I need to go to Car Quest for fuel line and filters for the bases. That'll be my third trip there. Two trips to HD and TSC and one to the hydraulic shop. Quite a project. I got the engine, it's a V1505, over a year ago, was going to put it on late last summer but ran into issues sourcing the Centa Flex coupler. I got the parts during the middle of the fall firewood rush and wasn't going to do the job in the dead of winter. Now I'm almost there. I have to hang the radiator puke tank somewhere too :) 
  Got around a hundred face cord on my list.

Corley5

I didn't get it fired up today. I sloughed off but everything is ready to run. I decided to let the fuel tank soak overnight and drain a bit more out before I hook the line to it. I rinsed it after I got it and felt it was fairly clean. After putting a 100 gallons of fuel in it today I cracked the valve and moisture and scale came out. I did that a couple times and it's running clean but I'll let it settle and soak overnight and bleed it again in morning. I forgot to take the air filter with me to Car Quest today to match up a replacement. I ordered an electric temperature gage for it while I was there. The true gage's sensor in the three gage kit won't fit in the head. It had an electric one on it before. I need to bleed the air out of the oil pressure gage line when it's running. Almost ;) :)

g_man

Had this firewood all blocked up about 2 weeks ago.

Just started splitting it the Saturday. I split it a bucket full at a time and stack it coming off the splitter. I let it air dry for a couple months before moving it to the wood shed. The stacking job is quick and dirty but it doesn't have to stand long. I have an old Speco/Huskey 22 ton splitter that I bought used 10 years ago when I stopped using a maul and wedges. I put a table and an adjustable return stop on the splitter to make things easier and a little quicker. The blocks are 18" +/-  and I set the return stop at 21".  It's slow work compared to some splitters but fine with me. I can keep up with it working alone. It takes about seven buckets to make a cord of split wood and I can fill, split, and stack a bucket of wood in half an hour. I put the camera out on my second bucket just for fun and in case someone here doesn't know how to split wood.  :o It goes into fast motion after a couple pieces then slows down at about 5 minutes while I straighten the stack up a little then speeds up again.

https://youtu.be/u1tGsMgfeW8

gg

B.C.C. Lapp

Nice work g_man.  I use a similar system.  But what I do is turn my splitter around so i stand, and the splitter, is between the stack and the tractor bucket.  The tractor bucket is facing right at me across the splitter. I use a pulp hook to yank the rounds from the bucket onto the splitter. That way I never have to get far from the splitter. Reach across for rounds, turn and stack with finished pieces.  Never walk anywhere. I move the splitter as the stack gets longer.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Corley5

It's alive and well. No pics. I ran a couple face cords this afternoon and I like it. I quit when the empty five gallon hydraulic oil pail was full of diesel. In the midst of hooking up everything else I neglected to hook up the fuel return line ;D :) That's tomorrow's project along with picking up and installing the new electric temp gage and new air filter. It carries a bit over 50 lbs of oil pressure at operating speed and over 40 at idle. I would like to add a tach but need to research what is needed. I also want to add a throttle cable. Right now there's a flat bar bolted to the throttle lever on the injection pump with a notch to hook over a bracket to hold it at speed. The previous owners solution. Not ideal but functionable. And I ordered a new gage for the fuel tank.

Corley5

The counter fella at Car Quest dropped the ball and didn't complete the order for my electric temp gage on Sunday or the new air filter on Monday  >:( >:( I found out return fuel needs to go back to tank. The engine didn't like it going back into the filter base ;) :D ;D It was worth a try. I'll have to run line to the top of the tank and adapt  :)  I finished the load I started yesterday  8) 8)  I suppose I can take the Honda off now  :( ;D :) 8)

GRANITEstateMP

Corley,

What did that Kubota powerplant come out of?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Corley5

It came off a mower of some sort. That's as close as I can get ;D The last guy put it on his CRD processor when the JD gave up. They tried to use the same pumps which were rated for lower RPM. This engine wouldn't work because it had to run about half throttle to make the machine work. Full throttle and the pumps would cavitate. He sold the machine. The new owner pulled the Kubota and put a 4 cyl. Deutz on it. It works and I got a good deal on the Kubota. That's the back story ;D :)

Thank You Sponsors!