iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to charge for split firewood?

Started by Qweaver, May 02, 2012, 02:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've got several cherry, oak and maple trees to clear that are not much good for sawing but would make good firewood.  I've also got a relative that needed new tires and is now trading labor for the tires.  :D  I'm planning to take a trailer load of lumber to the local flea market and I'm considering taking  bundles of firewood too.  How much should I put in a bundle and what is a fair price?  The flea market is in the Eagles Club parking lot so I'll just put my cell phone number on the wood trailer and enjoy a cool beverage and watch the game as I sell lumber.  8)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

woodmills1

depends on where you are

I get $170 a cord cut split delivered

here in NH and I am the lowest cost around
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MHineman

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 02, 2012, 08:17:31 PM
depends on where you are

I get $170 a cord cut split delivered

here in NH and I am the lowest cost around
Location seems to be the biggest difference, next is how well seasoned, next the species of wood.
  In Indianapolis, split, well seasoned, and a mix of hardwood species will bring about $225 per cord, while the same where I live about 30 miles from the closest part of Indy will bring about $165.
  Small bundles like at the gas stations are usually about 1.25 cubic feet.  A cord is 128 cubic feet, so the small bundle is about 1% of a cord.
  That make it $2.25 for your cost to bundle it up and it then generally sells for about 2 to 3 times as much.
  So I'd sell small bundles at $5 each, and 3 cubic foot bundles at $10.
  If you are in a rural area with lots of people selling firewood the prices will probably be a little less.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

bull

Wow those are low prices, Green wood $200 a cord, seasoned  $275 a cord until November 1st then all wood $325  Cord thru April  I prefer not to sell any green wood. Bundles 1 Cu ft  Softwood $5.00 Hardwood $7.50...
I do not sell bulk cordwood June thru August.... Had to many greenwood buyer complaining their " seasoned wood" would not burn in October....  I move between 40 - 80 cords per year !! Many long standing customers 30+ yrs....

missouriboy

In Kansas city they give between 300 and 365 a cord of good hardwood that has been seasoned  ;D. I am going to start selling all my wood there. Cant wait!!!!  ;D

shelbycharger400

i usually sell hardwoods (popple, cottonwood, boxelder, oak, elm ect) as a mix  for 50 a truckload they haul ,  fresh split.   more seasoned its around 85.
so 100 for wet,  170 dry enough.    pine  is 50 a truckload/ 100 a chord dry
their is an over abundance of material here with last years storms.

gunman63

shelby... what do u consider a pickup truck load when someone hauls it for himself, to me theres so many variables, i won't do it. short box, longbox, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, level, heaped, do u load, do they load, just wondering. MIKE

Tony

Well I guess the saying,"location, location, location" is true.  :D ;D  This weekend we sold almost 3 cords of hickory to one of the local BBQ boys and got $125/cord delivered and were glad to get it. 8) 8)

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

shelbycharger400

gunman63

i help load,  a doamed pile in the truck.

even with my 8ft box, just over level, stacked,   you get a row that is 4 ft high, 9 ft long.

i figure with my source either place a  4 minutes away, place b , 20 minutes away, or place c 25 minutes away.  with the 4 saws i bring with, I use only 1 to create a truckload in about an hour or 2. takes me 2 to 3 hrs? to split   im not makin a living on selling it    so if they come and get it, takes less than 1/2 hr to load up,  im still makin atleast 10 to 15/ hr  cash.  It pays for the fuel , and equipment, plus side is i dont have to stack it, flip is its ready for myself for winter.   
normal job i work i make 20 something an hour, after taxes and medical are taken out...its down to 10. .       i dont mind makin 10 / hr cash!

clww

I sold measured cords of seasoned all oak this past season for $200, delivered.
That's for here in Tidewater, VA.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

Cities are usually higher priced, at least here they are. I think it's just because of extra work or hassle they run into at times. Here I get it split and hauled in for around $220 cord. I like wood heat because it actually warms the building up and not just the ambient air.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!