iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood type?

Started by Arctiva, October 13, 2019, 09:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctiva

So I'm new to burning wood last year and dont know my wood yet anyone know what species this is? I can get a few trailer loads of it. I'm in Wisconsin if that matters

SwampDonkey

Is it light? Or a bit hefty. The stringy fibre could be basswood (light wood). If it is hefty stuff than it could be ash. Lots of soil conservation land planted in ash in North Dakota, maybe down your way to. They don't have the ash borer yet in some parts of ND at least.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

It looks like a hardwood but a few more pics would help me.  other may know just from the bark and fibers.  If it looses its leaves it is by def. a hardwood.  bald cypress is an exception.  you can burn any kind of wood.  some have more density so provide more heat per unit of volume.  the less dense hardwoods (cottonwood)provide about 18 million BTUs per cord where Hedge provides 32 million BTUs per cord.  in the middle is oak, mulberry, and others, are in the range of 25 to 27 million BTUs per cord.  by dry weight, all wood including bark provides the same BTUs per unit weight.  so a less dense wood, including soft woods, will require more volume of wood, therefore more frequent loading of any wood heater.  In the north, softwoods are more plentiful so that is burned and does fine.  shorter summer make the hardwoods not grow much since they are dormant in the winter (loose leaves and have annual growth rings).  when you burn wood, you are boilng the remaining water and burning the carbon in the wood and some other volatile compounds such as pitch.  there are other qualities such as amount of coals produced.  in a good stove the air is regulated to control temp. and potentially extend the burn time.  I always burn and get a good fire and coals going.  for the night, I fill to the brim with wood, let the fire get going well, then shut down the air and have good coals to add wood to in the am.  So,  the answer is, if you need wood and have found a free or inexpensive supply, go for it.  surly someone on the supply side can help you ID the wood so you can look up the qualities of that species.  Others here will chime in and can help.  as you burn wood for years you will become more particular about what you burn, but it is still limited by supply.  In Alaska it is almost all soft wood species.  as it is in Scottsbluff, Ne.  I love burning Catalpa cause it smells good, but it pops, does not burn long, and leaves few coals.  Elm is an underrated wood for woodwork.  for firewood,  It seems to take longer to season and is nearly imposable to split by hand, but has about 25 million BTU per cord. lots of charts for firewood and qualities by species.  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Arctiva

I've kinda learned ash or at least the kind I have on my property as I have some at my place that are dead and picked up 3 loads last week of cut down ash. 

doc henderson

this looks fresh cut, so will need to season (dry) a year, unless standing dead or cut down a few years ago.  congrats on your good fortune

Wood Heating | Forestry | USU
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Arctiva

It is fresh cut working on next years wood. Am taking loads of Ash and there a bunch of this kind. I think its cotton wood but wasnt sure. 

Last summer I passed on some walnut cause it looked like some willow I cut up and someone else took it. Didnt wanna make that mistake again lol

Arctiva

Feels like a soft hardwood but IDK

Arctiva

Probably do 3 loads today on top of the 3  last weekend. Mostly Ash some maple and whatever mystery wood is lol

doc henderson

If you want to be crazy about it, cut a 1 inch cube and oven dry it, and weigh it.  can calculate the BTUs and also get an idea of species based on density.    cottonwood can be very heavy green as it can be over 100% moisture content.  the bark is consistent, any leaves around by chance?  I cut and split a lot of cottonwood for my parents with a fireplace.  My dad loved to put another log on the fire every half and hour.  got him out of the chair.  If they went to bed, fire was out in an hours or so.  As it became known that I had wood, friends would call my wife to see if they could have some.  If for a firepit or fireplace, they got cottonwood, not the seasoned Mulberry.  

SwampDonkey

Could be. I burn anything here. All makes heat. I'm burning lots of aspen and balm this year, besides fir and maple and birch. I thin the woods and cut down the older stuff that is about to die , hard leaners and make sure the ant galleries are left on the ground. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Arctiva

No leaves my city cut it and disposes the leaves and limbs at another location and drops off the big stuff at another location. 

I took a few pieces just because but why bother when a good wood like Ash is available? It doesnt have a tight grain pattern like the Ash does. If I was desperate id take it all

doc henderson

i totally agree with that!!! 8)

Southside

That thick bark makes me say cotton wood over ash. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

lxskllr

How about sassafras? That bark looks really familiar to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

WDH

The wood appears to be diffuse porous.  Sassafras is ring porous.  Willow and cottonwood are diffuse porous.  Could definitely be willow or cottonwood.  Might also be basswood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Willow if light enough, that's my 1st guess- it was used for prosthesis before plastics kicked in. Not cottonwood or basswood IMO.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!