iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Drift Wood

Started by MosbyD, October 27, 2019, 11:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MosbyD

Ok I was wondering if anybody ever Mills drift wood? I've not found any information on it and was wondering if it would be worth it for the woodworking community maybe. I live close to the Mississippi River and there are full trees that are some times 20-30 ft long and 36-40 in across big end. I've hit them with my cursing ax and they feel and sound solid. It was just a brain fart and thinking about it. 

JoshNZ

I've never seen his results but I know a guy with a farm that backs onto a decent river here in NZ, who has a field day after some storms.

Worth a go surely, fresh stuff from a river. The dried stuff on the beach, maybe not haha...

redbeard

If the wood has been in water or rolling around on the river banks sand , mud and silt will work its way into the checks on the old logs that have been there along time.
Very abrasive on your blade.
Fresh logs with the bark still on you will have better luck.
The word drift wood in my area is old gray beach logs n stumps from the ocean and full of sand.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

millwright

I've sawed some sinker logs that work their way to the shore. They make nice lumber, but can be hard on blades from mud and sand

alanh

I`ve pulled quite a few from the Ct River and have had no problem milling them, have gotten some nice looking lumber from some, others.. not so much, as mentioned above I imagine it depends on how long they were washed ashore

TKehl

For river logs, I would recommend a pressure washer and and deep opening cuts so you aren't repeatedly sawing through the outer layers.  

Exceptions are out there if they are special logs and worth the blades to get live edge.  But for general lumber, break down to a square cant quickly and don't fret over loosing a few jacket boards.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Stephen1

I just sawed a sinker log for a customer. It was floating in the bay by his cottage for few years. The thinking when he showed up, it would be EWP or Hemlock. His lake was part of a logging operation 100+ years ago. I was hoping for a stamp from a mill on the end. Nothing.
We sawed it, Live Edge, it was grey about 5 " in all around, then after the second cut it was Red Oak. Nice wood no knots, 28" wide. 12' long
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I have sawn many sinker as well as logs that were lassoed and retrieved from the Mississippi River.

Sinker Cypress logs,

Sinker logs bucked and ready for sawing.

And yes, sometime they are clogged with hardened mud/sand.

More "recovered" logs for wall paneling for the new home in the background.

Recovered Black Willow with a river oxbow lake in the background.

More recovered Black Willow.  This customer works the high water, lassos logs, tows them to his property and ties them to trees. 

The rewards are great so just charge your regular sawing rate plus blade sharpening.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MosbyD

Man guys thank you all for the info. Think I will chance it and give it a try when I get a mill up and running. 

donbj

Here's a haul last spring during high water on the lake. Western Red Cedar. It came floating in and I pulled it out. Had to be quick as by 11:00 am or so the wind would change and blow it all out again. Every day a different haul.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

firefighter ontheside

I want to pull some logs out of the the river right down the road, but haven't had the opportunity.  I bought a white oaklog that was pulled out of the Gasconade River here in Missouri.  I am milling it to sell as mantels.
It has really cool texture from being shaped by the current over untold years.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

donbj

More drift wood photos. Cut these slabs 3". 16 to 20 inches wide at the butt ends

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

charles mann

Iv got a locate of a couple logs that looked to be under water for a while, or at least washed down stream and against an embankment or bridge piling/s. 1 log looks to be around 36-40" across and another around 24-30". Species unk, no bark of them but seem to be very solid. Down side is, they have been in a dump site for over a yr and dried out, but checking doesnt seem to bad from what i can tell. Gonna have to get a hoe with a thumb to move the brush and other junk logs off them, plus a couple, what looks to be live oak, with a bee hive living in 1 and trying to embed into the other live oak. I made sure the hoe im gonna rent is cabbed, plus load the logs at night and cold. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

JoshNZ

Build yourself a box and nab the queen =D. If you trap her inside the box inside mesh or whatever and leave it on the ground next to the log for a few days they'll relocate

Hoopty5.0

There is a guy I follow on FB who recovers and mills logs from the beach (he's in Corpus Christi TX) with nice results. Here is an example:

donbj

Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on October 31, 2019, 09:12:55 AM
There is a guy I follow on FB who recovers and mills logs from the beach (he's in Corpus Christi TX) with nice results. Here is an example:

That's a nice piece of wood. I would imagine the sand would have got into much of those bug holes. I have had logs from the lake that I never even got squared up and my blade was toast from all the sand in the checks and defects. Generally though my blade life was about 30-50% of usual cutting beach/lake wood.

charles mann

That is some nice wood. Would make some nice furniture. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

redbeard

Driftwood makes me cringe when customers want too mill it up.
I went and looked at this  big Douglas Fir old growth log.
It was a 500 + year old tree so I figured there would be some nice grain.

It was a success milling this 1/2 log up.
It made some nice clear Doug fir slabs.
Little bit of shake on edges.
Sand and rocks we're not a issue on these beach logs and Iam sure it was bouncing around beach too beach in the Puget sound for many years.
Probably climbed over it when I was a Kid.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Walnut Beast

Very cool!!! I want to see some of that walnut out of the orchards 👍

customsawyer

Quote from: charles mann on October 30, 2019, 05:32:47 PM
Iv got a locate of a couple logs that looked to be under water for a while, or at least washed down stream and against an embankment or bridge piling/s. 1 log looks to be around 36-40" across and another around 24-30". Species unk, no bark of them but seem to be very solid. Down side is, they have been in a dump site for over a yr and dried out, but checking doesnt seem to bad from what i can tell. Gonna have to get a hoe with a thumb to move the brush and other junk logs off them, plus a couple, what looks to be live oak, with a bee hive living in 1 and trying to embed into the other live oak. I made sure the hoe im gonna rent is cabbed, plus load the logs at night and cold.

Don't get a hoe to fetch the logs. Use your helicopter and video it. Let someone else hook up the lines and the bees won't bother you, maybe the other guy but not you.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

High_Water

I've cut driftwood picked up from the TX coast. Not sure what species but if I had to guess I'd say pine. It was full of ship worm holes that all filled with sand and the shells left from the worms. Wood this soft was easy to cut but I can hardly think of an easier way to dull a blade. There's a guy I know who lives close to the beach that picks up driftwood all the time, pretty sure his first cut is always with a blade that's already dull. I think they are definitely worth salvaging, an axe or chainsaw should tell you how solid they are in about 20 seconds, just know that there's always a good chance they are full of sand. I really dig this wormy one but I wouldn't be mad it I came across one that was solid.

KenMac

Quote from: High_Water on May 02, 2022, 09:46:40 AM
I've cut driftwood picked up from the TX coast. Not sure what species but if I had to guess I'd say pine. It was full of ship worm holes that all filled with sand and the shells left from the worms. Wood this soft was easy to cut but I can hardly think of an easier way to dull a blade. There's a guy I know who lives close to the beach that picks up driftwood all the time, pretty sure his first cut is always with a blade that's already dull. I think they are definitely worth salvaging, an axe or chainsaw should tell you how solid they are in about 20 seconds, just know that there's always a good chance they are full of sand. I really dig this wormy one but I wouldn't be mad it I came across one that was solid.

That has to be the weirdest pretty wood I've ever seen.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!