iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What SFPM for big blades? And what power?

Started by Satamax, August 23, 2011, 11:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i plan to use this type of blade

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/87434806.htm?ca=21_s

Stellite, nearly two inches between teeth, 3 to 3.3/8 wide.

What kind of speed can i run thoses at?

And if anyone can tell me, what kind of power do i need. I have a 7.5kw 10,2 hp electric motor which i planed to use.

Thanks.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sgschwend

Your supplier will have the specification for the saw you purchases, which will also include the strain the saw should be set to.  There should be everything you need to run the saw including the power required.

Give them a call, and have them send you some into too.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Satamax

Thanks a lot for your reply Sgschwend.

Well, i have found some replies. I'm going the diy route i hope.

For the blade, the loglogic autotrek which i'm taking inspiration from runs 36m/s 7086 feet per minute. It has a larger band. and smaller wheels.

On the calculator, they say between 4500 and 5800, but that's for timberwolf blades. i gonna use stellite.

On the power, it uses 27kw turning an hydraulic pump, for the head up and down movement, for the feed and for turning the wheels. Looking at losses in pipes etc. I might get away for a while with my 10hp.

Thanks again.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Larry

Bandsaw Calculator

Not quite what you want, but might be interesting to play with.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Satamax

shelbycharger400

somewhere i recently read through someones sticky'd , it was from the 60's or 70's about sawing lumber

anywho, the happy medium is around 6000 surface feet/min .           then their is the variable with frozen,  wet and dry, along with a few others.

Satamax

Thanks Shelby.

Well, according to larry's link, i gonna be slooooooowwwwww feeding. About 25' per minute. I don't want to go diesel, but i might have to!

sgschwend

The rule of thumb for electric motor power versus gasoline is that your 10 hp electric would produce about the same power as a 20 hp gasoline. 

I would think that a 10 hp electric would certainly work, but the hydraulic mills and the higher production mills are using more power than that.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Log-ic

Hi Max, 2 inches of tooth spacing is really a lot!  You may need a lot of HP and torque for coping with the feedrates...  If there are 000 marks the steel is from Uddeholm.  You should speak with Forezienne for advice, they are the main dealer in Europe. (http://www.forezienne.com/).  It might turn out that the bands you plan to buy are more or less inadequate for the application you have in mind...  Personally I would be rather reluctant to spend my money in second-hand bands. 
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Satamax

Hi guys!

sgschwend, thanks a lot for telling me that it might work.  I need comforting as much as advice  :)

Log-ic, i know Forezienne. Been speaking with a guy from the company about diy and all this.

One stellite blade, brand new from them costs about 200 euros!

What is the throat and gullet depth on your loglogic?

What i know, most of the  CD saws i've seen were in the 30 to 60KW range. Well, getting an electric motor that big, no problem. It's getting electricity to it. 1200 euros a month for a yellow contract from EDF. At least.

Log-ic

You might consider buying a second-hand CD with a diesel engine :

http://www.agriaffaires.com/occasion/scie/938258/brenta-scie-mobile-cd-5-avec-griffage-des-grumes-pneumatique.html

Not even that expensive but not really mobile either..   I have 22mm tooth spacing.  It is important to mainain the gullet depth as close as possible to the original saw design.
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Satamax

Thanks a lot Log-ic.

Yep i know that CD5. The guy has wanted to sell for a year. But i think it's way expensive. I might give him a call. Let say nowadays CD5, with 5 blades and a sharpener go for 10000€ no prob. There's a CD4 which apeared today on Leboncoin. Still it's 15000.  There's 4 or five sawyers within 25 miles of me. And a mobile about 70.  I think i like the chalenge of building my own. Even at 10 thousand i need to cut about 250 cubic meters just to cover the cost.

We'll see how it goes.

Main problem is, power. i can have whatever motor or engine.
Electric motor, i have to supply electricity. That's at least another 1500 or 2500 for a secondhand generator. If i go diesel engine, either i mount to the frame, and everything works itself lose. Or i do remote with hydraulics, and it costs a fortune in tubes distributors etc!

Hey Log-ic, i edit this message. There's this one also! But too far!
http://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_professionnel/220979290.htm?ca=19_s

Thank You Sponsors!