iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 359 replacement

Started by Mojo, May 29, 2015, 09:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Hey guys (& gals) I haven't been here in years but log in still worked.
Thanks to this forum I was the happy owner of a stock, used, Husqvarna 359 (never got around to modifying it like I planned) and it along with many of my favorite things were stolen not long ago. Well I'm looking to replace it and I need your recommendations on which saw is closest to giving similar or improved performance in a similar weight saw. It's my only saw so I do everything with it. Then once I decide, we can open a new topic on how to modify that one.
And I would be open to a Stihl if it'll be the closest replacement.
Thanks for all the help

Maine logger88

I believe a 555 Husky would be the replacement
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

shinnlinger

I think the 555 is Huskys's offering, and a very good choice, but look at a Echo 590 Timberwolf just to compare.  Might be enough saw for you and save you $150 bucks...
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

7sleeper

Wouldn't exclude the Dolmar 6100! One of the best buys out there!

celliott

Is the 359 still made as a redmax? Or was that the 353?

I agree, 555 is the direct replacement.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

HolmenTree

For an extra $100 you can get the 562XP and have the Rev Boost........worth every penny. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Mojo

I would prefer to stick with Husky or Stihl since I have dealers close by, but saving $150 or so would be nice.
I did look at the Husqvarna website, and I was leaning toward the 562 over the 550. In my area, we do have a couple good storms annually, and had a big tornado a few years back, and when the road to the nearest hospital is blocked by trees, I'd rather have more power than less, and if the 562 is truly putting out a full horsepower more than a 359 did, it might be my choice. Mostly I cut firewood, and do yard cleanup. I honestly doubt that I will ever have the time to do any mods to a saw, so it will likely stay bone stock its whole life.
What are owners of current 550 and 562 saws reporting? Any previous 359 owners that are running a 550 or 562 now?
Thanks again for all the help.

John Mc

Any reason you are not considering the 555? It's still pro construction, despite the lack of an "XP" behind its name. (Much as the 359 was pro-type construction, but not listed as an XP saw)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Maine logger88

I have 2 562s have ran a 359 and several 357xp and I had a 2159 which is the same thing as a 359 just red. The 562 has quite a lot more power plus as Holmen said the rev boost is nice and it's just an all around nicer saw to run!

Mojo

Are there any reports of issues or disappointments with the 562?
Mainelogger how does the 562 feel for weight compared to the 359? I ran a 20" bar on mine (that's what it came with) and it wasn't as unmanageable as I thought it would be and less bending over when working on the ground. But anything over an hour or so, and I would be pretty sore. At the same time though, I know I would be disappointed with any less power than the 359 had. But then again, if I have too much power How would I know when the chains are getting dull

HolmenTree

No matter how much power your  saw has if the chain is dull it just skims on the log and takes pressure  on the handles to make it cut.
It takes more power to pull a sharp hungry  chain.

I'm  on my 3 rd year now with my 562XP and it's  still cutting like a champ. Only issue I had was restarting on a hot day after making heavy  cuts in a good sized log. Tends to flood as the micro processor is reading a hot condition  and adds more fuel to cool it down.
But just putting the master control switch on fast idle solves that problem  and will start on the first  or 2nd pull.
The 555 also has AutoTune so I'd  imagine  it could have the same issue too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Maine logger88

I have no complaints with my 562s. And I know you wouldn't be disappointed with the power. As far as weight goes I don't think it's any heavier plus the ergonomics are better

Mojo

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be spending more than I anticipated, but it sounds like I will be happy with a 562

Thank You Sponsors!