iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have a Kubota Sidekick? Finally Got One

Started by 21incher, March 24, 2021, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have been searching for a side x side for my yard and possibly  trails. I am seriously thinking about the 850 Sidekick.  My dealer  is looking  for one for me now before the rebate is over. Polaris and Kawasaki have been on my list but after  seeing  the Kubota I really  like it. Nice big steel bed with a 1000 pound capacity,  Subaru ( now Kubota) 48 hp engine and a very  heavy  duty  frame similar to the RTV frame. It's  electronically limited  to 42 mph and uses a CVT drive. Not true 4wd but with the differential lock 3 will turn and limited slip in the front. Electric power steering that is speed sensitive.  Weights about 1800 pounds so probably not good in mud. Just wondering  if anyone has one that they could  share their opinion  of. I can't  touch  another  full size for the price quoted.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

snowstorm

polaris ranger would be a better choice. i have a ranger 900 its pretty much gas an go

21incher

Polaris is on my list but the Kubota looks much heavier  duty  to me. Not much information  out there yet because  they have only been around  3 years. This is 850 cc gas and hopefully  would  be gas and go also. Was hoping someone would  have feedback about them. My Kubota  dealer mechanic says they have not seen any problems with them yet. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

snowstorm

it looks like it was made it china and rebranded

snobdds

It's slow, but dependable.   We wanted to like it on the ranch.  We demo'd the model with the HST and that was painful to get around in, then we demo'd the sidekick...faster but still too slow.  

We stuck with Polaris.  I have a Rzr and a ranger.  Once you get use to getting around quickly, it's hard to compromise back.  

Get the XP edition if you get the ranger.  It is a more well built machine than the price point driven plaine 1000 version. 

21incher

Quote from: snowstorm on March 25, 2021, 09:53:45 AM
it looks like it was made it china and rebranded

Made in Georgia with a Subaru engine.

Quote from: snobdds on March 25, 2021, 10:27:38 AM
It's slow, but dependable.   We wanted to like it on the ranch.  We demo'd the model with the HST and that was painful to get around in, then we demo'd the sidekick...faster but still too slow.  

We stuck with Polaris.  I have a Rzr and a ranger.  Once you get use to getting around quickly, it's hard to compromise back.  

Get the XP edition if you get the ranger.  It is a more well built machine than the price point driven plaine 1000 version.
Thanks for the feedback. The Polaris 1000 is 3 to 4 k more right now for a similar machine and I don't  qualify for any incentives they have so that's definitely  out. The 570 Full size is about the same price point with eps I would have to go with and that's not much faster with a cheaper looking frame. I am more interested  in the dependable at my age for dragging  firewood out. Thanks. 

SwampDonkey

I have a Polaris 570, it's just an 1" narrower than the full size version. Mine only has 500 lb load capacity and 1000 lb pull. I didn't want any bigger. 500 is all I need, I bring out firewood in the bed, And I haul 50 gallons of water in tank for garden. Easy on gas, I think I only burnt one and a half tanks all summer gathering firewood and water. My firewood is a short haul out to pickup, not miles, except to get to the woodlot is 3 miles. Seem well built to me. Time will tell. :)

Don't need no eps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snobdds

I bought a turbo rzr on a whim one day, I must say, I don't need it but I sure do like driving it at the ranch.  I also take it up to the cabin in the spring to break the snow drifts into the place.  That is pretty fun too.

I use the Ranger at the cabin for just putzing around.  I put a soft topper on it so I can take the dog places.  It works good for a general work horse up there.  

21incher

The Rangers are nice but I don't  qualify for the rebates and all the extra shipping and dealer prep make them overpriced for me to get an equivalent machine so I just removed them from my list. They don't  use the robbin/ Subaru engine anymore with  parts from Japan. I read the new Ranger engines are assembled  in the USA from mostly Chinese and Mexican parts so I feel the Kubota  may be a better choice. Kubota  is not discriminating with  the rebate if you have cash and from the couple reviews I just watched I guess I will go that way If they can actually get one in stock for me before  6/30. Can't find any issues other then gas pedal angle and it didn't  feel bad to me. UTVs are selling like hotcakes right now, guess everyone knows zero percent interest may soon be a thing of the past. 

SwampDonkey

I put steel roof on mine and steel panel and grill protection/push bar.

I needed a buggy, there was no two ways about it. I don't want to build a fortune in roads for firewood. Plus, don't have to tear the ground up, I'm using old winter road and old trails, been there for 30 years. When you build roads, you invite tresspassers. Mines a work and utility buggy. I don't waste gas driving around, I can do that from the truck. ;D

Whatever you get, I'm sure it will do the job. :)

I know they sold a lot of SxS's last year.

I know 4 guys on my road here with Rangers. And bear hunter just over the hill has the 1000. Someone around here has a buggy with tracks, wide as a truck goes on snow like Ski doo.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snobdds

Quote from: 21incher on March 25, 2021, 02:32:39 PM
The Rangers are nice but I don't  qualify for the rebates and all the extra shipping and dealer prep make them overpriced for me to get an equivalent machine so I just removed them from my list. They don't  use the robbin/ Subaru engine anymore with  parts from Japan. I read the new Ranger engines are assembled  in the USA from mostly Chinese and Mexican parts so I feel the Kubota  may be a better choice. Kubota  is not discriminating with  the rebate if you have cash and from the couple reviews I just watched I guess I will go that way If they can actually get one in stock for me before  6/30. Can't find any issues other then gas pedal angle and it didn't  feel bad to me. UTVs are selling like hotcakes right now, guess everyone knows zero percent interest may soon be a thing of the past.
Polaris is notorious for selling a base model and then the owner needing to accessorize it with stuff like windshields mirrors etc.  

That is where they get you.  
The prostar engines Polaris uses seem pretty durable.  I am just glad all these new SxS use FI insted of Carbs.  That alone is a huge difference in driveability...

SwampDonkey

@snobdds , you have one of those snowbikes I see on youtube in the mountians? Wish I was 16 again. :D

We Climbed A Volcano on Snowbikes (& had lunch) - YouTube

snobdds

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2021, 05:41:44 PM
@snobdds , you have one of those snowbikes I see on youtube in the mountians? Wish I was 16 again. :D

We Climbed A Volcano on Snowbikes (& had lunch) - YouTube
I don't.  Heck, I don't even have a snowmobile...Yet. 
I spend most of my winter Snowboarding.  I use to ride the big mountains in Alaska and British Columbia...in my younger days.   :D  I have no time for snowmobiling, even though I have a cabin in the middle of snowmobile mecha. 
I still do one Heli trip a winter in BC, but now for me it's about teaching the next generation a love for the outdoors and skiing.  He took after his mom in that he's a skier.  ::)  He's a little ripper though...

Tom King

This one has all wheel drive, and a Subaru motor too-WRX.
<br
>

gspren

The speed requirements/desires for people out west or anywhere there's open terrain can't be compared to woods work in the east. My Kubota 400 RTV was their smallest sxs at the time and it's done a ton of work for me, almost never goes over 15 mph but handy on my small farm. The only friends that had Polaris ATVs had lots of problems but that was over 20 years ago and I hear they got better.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

Quote from: Tom King on March 25, 2021, 07:10:49 PM
This one has all wheel drive, and a Subaru motor too-WRX.
<br
>

Paint it orange and your all set  ;D. Is that farm plate something you made up? Never seen one before. 
Quote from: gspren on March 25, 2021, 08:58:03 PM
The speed requirements/desires for people out west or anywhere there's open terrain can't be compared to woods work in the east. My Kubota 400 RTV was their smallest sxs at the time and it's done a ton of work for me, almost never goes over 15 mph but handy on my small farm. The only friends that had Polaris ATVs had lots of problems but that was over 20 years ago and I hear they got better.
I think  you nailed it. 40 mph seems fast enough  for me. Probably never get near it in my area. I think  they all are fairly  reliable now. The only brand I am seeing  complaints about are the Deere and it seems to be from them squeezing  to much technology in them.

farmfromkansas

I had a Kawasaki Teryx 750, which would pull a couple 10' hedge posts up out of the creek.  Decided don't really need that much power so got a new Ranger 570.  Only had it a short time, so can not say how well I like it.  Bought the windows, top and hard doors to use it in winter.  Plan to add a heater.  Salesman said when I picked it up, that the 570 is the most trouble free model.  I like that.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Tom King

Farm Use tags came off Amazon.  I really put them on there for a joke.  Supposed to be a "truck".

Anyway, it doesn't leave our land, except for a one mile state road running through the middle of it.

21incher

Well looks like I waited to long and they can't find one that's not fully  loaded on the east coast. Turns out Kubota shut down 2021 lines and is switching assembly lines to 2022 so If you can't  find what you want in stock it's over. 2022 won't  have rebates so back to zero. Wish the dealer didn't  get my Hope's up the first visit.

petefrom bearswamp

Dont know about the sidekick, but I have a 2012 RTV 900 that is a real workhorse.
Been problem free so far.
a good number of guys in our hunting property of 3875 acres in the adks have Polaris rangers, a few tracked up for winter.
one guy has that chinese knockoff CF moto and has had a few minor problems.
These guys all ride recreationally and my needs are for work
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

21incher

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 26, 2021, 11:27:06 AM
Dont know about the sidekick, but I have a 2012 RTV 900 that is a real workhorse.
Been problem free so far.
a good number of guys in our hunting property of 3875 acres in the adks have Polaris rangers, a few tracked up for winter.
one guy has that chinese knockoff CF moto and has had a few minor problems.
These guys all ride recreationally and my needs are for work
They have one of the 900s in stock but I don't want a diesel or to spend that much. Never had a salesman call before and say I can find nothing  for you. In the end Kubota  took the other one they had on order and gave it to a higher volume dealer with no others available in the area so I am looking again. Was told 2022s will be out shortly and there's a chance for the same rebate so I will wait a couple weeks to see what's available when ordering opens. Plus may be some upgrades for the new year.  

SwampDonkey

Probably by May, your choices will be available. I got mine May last year and the doors to the place were practically closed because of COVID, by the time I came in with cash in hand it was limited to sales and no one allowed in the lobby kicking tires. I went direct to the salesman's office. Was hard to get replacement rims though, so I decided to wait 3 or 4 years for fancy rims. ;)

Chuck White

Isn't the SideKick a Gas model, vs Diesel?

I know I've seen commercials on tv about the "all new Kubota gas side-by-side"

I think that's what I would get if I was in the market, the diesel SxS really sound like they're going to fly apart when the rev so high!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Quote from: Chuck White on March 26, 2021, 08:39:52 PM
Isn't the SideKick a Gas model, vs Diesel?

I know I've seen commercials on tv about the "all new Kubota gas side-by-side"

I think that's what I would get if I was in the market, the diesel SxS really sound like they're going to fly apart when the rev so high!
Yes it is gas with a CVT belt drive. They started with a Subaru engine, now bought the tooling from Robbin / Subaru and build it under the Kubota name. Not many reviews  that aren't  sponsored by Kubota so I was looking for input. Turns out they loaded many of them with  options and then shut down ordering to switch  model year so there are no affordable ones available now. Looks like they are trying to dump some slow moving inventory left over from the 2021s.  I can wait a couple months.

SwampDonkey

I watch a youtube channel of a young couple that moved up to Alaska. They brought their Ranger 570 along. They soon found out up there, you need more wheels and more clearance. They got the 6 wheeled Polaris, used. :D Then they went on them trails, and it was really hard trails with mud, rocks galore, washed hills, flooded trails. They were on a day trip out there and I think they had to get some parts when they got back home, drive shaft was one. Believe me, those trails up there will trash any machine. :D They was moose hunting, they never got any that year. Next year they were more familiar with the land up there and got a moose. :)

Thank You Sponsors!