iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak porch flooring

Started by robmelby, March 13, 2016, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robmelby

Hello All,
I'm new at the forum. I am looking for any knowledge on White oak being used as porch flooring. I have two covered porches with a little bit of pitch. At first I wanted to use black locust, but it's been a challenge to find any around here. Mostly what I've found is drops off of fence posts. So I changed direction and now looking at white Oak.
Here is my wish list. I'd like to use 4/4 x 6'' boards. I 'd like them to be rough sawn and square edged. Would the rough sawn produce more splinters? I will lay them with an 1/8'' gap for water drainage, to make up for the lack of pitch. I plan on using stainless steel screws. Lastly, I'm interested in the shou-sugi-ban finish in lieu of painting.
I can get White oak from a local saw mill at a decent price. How about grades of lumber, No.1 vs. STK? This will be a big investment for me, cost and time wise and I want to do it right. I'm not interested in any exotic lumbers. I like native woods. Thanks for any knowledge.

Sincerely,
Rob

Tom King

It should last pretty good under a roof.  I had a deck that lasted about 30 years.  On the ends of the boards put two fasteners in drilled holes but not too close to the edge.  In the field, put no more than one fastener into each joist, alternating sides of the floor boards from one joist to the other.  It's a lot less prone to splitting like that, including with treated wood.

Magicman

Look at the board ends and orient them so that the growth rings "smile" is upward.  Pith side up, bark side down.  This will insure that any cupping will turn the edges downward. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

These days, 4/4 deck boards are not used.  They might be just fine but any appraiser, insurance agent, inspector, code officer, and the banker might not see it that way.  Decks are highly inspected due to collapses followed by big lawsuits in the past.  5/4 on 16" joists would not raise any eyebrows.

My next deck will be with hidden fasteners, but not quite sure what style I'll use.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sandsawmill14

4/4 rough lumber off of a commercial circle mill will be the same or maybe a little thicker than treated 5/4 deck boards :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Bruno of NH

I wouldn't install it with the rough side up . The walking surface .
Jmo
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

robmelby

Quote from: Tom King on March 13, 2016, 02:12:42 PM
It should last pretty good under a roof.  I had a deck that lasted about 30 years.  On the ends of the boards put two fasteners in drilled holes but not too close to the edge.  In the field, put no more than one fastener into each joist, alternating sides of the floor boards from one joist to the other.  It's a lot less prone to splitting like that, including with treated wood.

Tom, What type of finish did you have on your White Oak deck (paint, stain, natural, etc..)?

gww

If you want a small gap for water shed and are putting it down just off the mill.  Leave no gap and you will get your small gap when the boards dry.  I butted them next to each other and did not put a finish on them and I bet I have a larger then one eight inch gap in all the floors I have did so far which adds up to three.
Cheers
gww

Magicman

I do not have a recent picture but this White Oak porch was left just as it came off of the sawmill; no plane, sand, or finish.  It is weathering to a nice grey color.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

we do it as mm said  :) poplar will rot on the ends white oak lasts good( im not old enough to say just how long ;D but the fence boards i put up are 10 yrs old and still sound although they were post oak) and far as putting it down rough this far south shoes are optional after the whooperwills start hollering usually in april so by the first of june aint know white oak splinter hard enough to match the bottom of your feet anyway ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Banjo picker

I like ours pretty good.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

robmelby

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm now confident on using White Oak for my porch flooring. I'm not sure about how I'll finish it, But I'll keep doing research.  If I figure out how to post pics on this forum, I'll do so. Nice looking deck, Banjo.

Thanks again,
Rob M.

Thank You Sponsors!