iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Else at work away from home for New Years?

Started by Piston, December 31, 2010, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I'm stuck at work on the ship away from my family for the holiday and wondering if anyone else is away from home for New Years?  I was fortunate enough to be home for Christmas this year so I can't complain. 
So who is ringing in the New Year with me away from home? 

Happy New Year forum friends..... 8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Tom

Nope, I'm home for New Years.   But, you know what?  I'd rather be on the high seas, preferably somewhere in the Caribbean.  The ocean is downright beautiful this time of year when the water is deep. :)

Gary_C

Just you and me I guess. I am stuck up here in the cold north trying to make some progress on a job that should have been done a month ago. I probably will call it good enough (or be sick of it) by Sunday night and head home for a day and then back to dig the snow out of almost 4 miles of State Forest Road and start a better job that must be done by March 15. It's been a tough winter for logging.

Happy New Year from a borrowed internet connection where the water puddles from yesterday are froze hard today.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jim king

I am home also and outside there is more fireworkd than NY.  Happy New Year. 8)

Banjo picker

I can't feel your pain there buddy   ;D  I'm in the middle of 11 days in a row off.. ;)  Although I did get called in for a few hours of snow detail last Sat...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WildDog

I am with you Banjo towards the end of 11 days off with no callouts as of yet.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Banjo picker

I have been working harder here than at the job...but loving it...I had a man that wanted 150 1x8's  redoak.....I didn't have and redoak on the log yard...so I cut 3 nice oaks and just finiched sawing yesterday evening...they have already picked all them up except 30 boards...Paid for them up front.... 8)  Going to clean up at the mill a little tomorrow and then watch a little football...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Woodchuck53

Back on my normal 14/14 rotation 100 miles in the gulf. Would rather be in the tropics also. The winds are 35 plus right now. Happy New Year all, and stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Ironwood

I am home, but working hard. I had a break in the weather yesterday, 50 degrees, and no rain so was hustling to get my new log bed for my 550, finished some welding and got the Framesaver on it, needs 50 degrees for it to work. Painted it and bolted it on. Been working outside in crazy cold temps to get it all fabricated.

Up early today getting some paperwork in order. So, family is here and my hard working spouse has been doing all the care for the three little ones. I am so lucky she tolerates me.

I used to work A LOT of holidays w/ a troubled teen camp, so I know what your going thru.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

LeeB

I'm home for the first time in years. I even managed to stay uptill midnight. Drank a bottle of champaine with Lindy andthen we went to bed. New Years is just not that big a deal for us. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawdust

I am in my home town, running around picking up drunks doing drunk things. Not much sleep and it will be over for another year real soon.

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Dave Shepard

Funny you should mention the drunks. A friend of mine told me yesterday he never goes out on New Years, "It's amateur night, way too dangerous!" :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kansas

Headed in today to fire up the heat treatment chamber for some more skids. Will spend a few hours doing some year end paperwork. But I will take time off to watch the Chiefs-Raiders game today. Might have to go check the chamber during halftime.

Piston

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 01, 2011, 10:53:05 PM
Funny you should mention the drunks. A friend of mine told me yesterday he never goes out on New Years, "It's amateur night, way too dangerous!" :D

My wife went home early just for that reason.  She didn't want to stay out till midnight because she was worried about a drunk driver hitting her, although not that there weren't any out before midnight, but hopefully better chances I guess. 

It's pretty sad we have to worry about that so much. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

sandhills

My wife was on call this weekend so we got to stay home, I was very happy.  After a few Christmas celebrations and chasing kids all over earlier this week it was time to stay home.  A few good freinds came over last night and played cards, that was fun and a whole lot cheaper than going anywhere.

John R

I worked a double shift, starting at 3:00 PM New Years Eve, and  it ended on New Years Day at 7:00 AM.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Thank You Sponsors!