iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood processor for OWB lengths

Started by AnthonyW, October 09, 2013, 09:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

I'm looking at the possibility of building a firewood processor with and for my father (who is 65 and refuses to give up wood heat) for his OWB. The reason for the DIY project is due to the 36" length requirement. None of the systems that I have found for home use have the ability to cut and split 30-36" long. We already have many of the pieces necessary and can fabricate the others. The exception is the chainsaw section. It would be preferable if the chain was hydraulically driven from the remainder of the system. The cutting action could either be hydraulic or by hand (Wolverine style). Has anyone done this? How did you accomplish it? Would you be willing to post or send photos?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Corley5

Why do you need 36" lengths?  My firebox is 44" long.  I sure don't want to handle wood that long and cut all mine 16-20" long and make two stacks in the firebox.  My door is 20" square but I split anything over 14" in diam.  Why wear yourself out feeding the furnace?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

r.man

I would also suggest that 36 is a bit long but to each his own. A friend of mine has mostly had long wood and it saves time at every stage of the game.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

AnthonyW

The door on the OWB is much smaller than the fire box. The door is about 16" square, but the fire box is closer 24" square and 36" long. The first row/row and half is below the bottom edge of the door. The point is, there really isn't room, elbow room, in order to get the first 16" piece all the way to the back without bumping your arms and hands on the hot door and door frame. It is actually easier to have smaller diameter, longer pieces in order to load this furnace.

The 36" length is a maximum. We usually cut them closer to 30"-32" long.

Any thoughts (and pictures) on how to build a chainsaw drive for a custom firewood processor?

Ivan49

Look into a hydraulic saw like is used on the bucket trucks. I bought one and then added a 24 inch bar on it and use it to cut all my wood on my processor Some of the wood I cut is 18 inches dia and then I cut it 20 to 24 inches long. I am 65 years old and my days of lifting 3 ot 4 foot long wood are over. While I under stand what you are saying about the small door the stove does not care what length wood you put into it. I use my ash rake to shove them to the back if I miss when I throw wood in

AnthonyW

Quote from: Ivan49 on October 09, 2013, 11:46:27 PM
Look into a hydraulic saw like is used on the bucket trucks. I bought one and then added a 24 inch bar on it and use it to cut all my wood on my processor

Where did you score yours?

Ivan49

Quote from: AnthonyW on October 10, 2013, 05:31:59 AM
Quote from: Ivan49 on October 09, 2013, 11:46:27 PM
Look into a hydraulic saw like is used on the bucket trucks. I bought one and then added a 24 inch bar on it and use it to cut all my wood on my processor

Where did you score yours?

E bay

cp881

AnthonyW

cp881: Thank you

Ivan49: What did you search for? I have been googling anything I can think of, but not been able to find anything.

North River Energy

AW:
Try 'hydraulic chain saw' on Craigslistnh.

One presently on offer in Hollis.
Probably too small for your needs though.

One of the Built Rite processors has an adjustable splitting chamber for boiler wood, but don't recall the max length.

AnthonyW

Quote from: North River Energy on October 10, 2013, 09:00:53 AM
AW:
Try 'hydraulic chain saw' on Craigslistnh.

One presently on offer in Hollis.
Probably too small for your needs though.

One of the Built Rite processors has an adjustable splitting chamber for boiler wood, but don't recall the max length.

I'm sure the motor from the pole saw would be too small. I contact built rite, the log length max is 24", the diameter max has an option of 16 (std) or 20 (opt). The height and position of the splitting wedge is adjustable.

Ivan49

You don't want  a pole saw motor you want a hydraulic chain saw as they are bigger. You can also get the motor from Surplus Center similar to the one in the picture

blackfoot griz

Quote from: AnthonyW on October 09, 2013, 09:16:25 AM
I'm looking at the possibility of building a firewood processor with and for my father (who is 65 and refuses to give up wood heat) for his OWB. The reason for the DIY project is due to the 36" length requirement. None of the systems that I have found for home use have the ability to cut and split 30-36" long. We already have many of the pieces necessary and can fabricate the others. The exception is the chainsaw section. It would be preferable if the chain was hydraulically driven from the remainder of the system. The cutting action could either be hydraulic or by hand (Wolverine style). Has anyone done this? How did you accomplish it? Would you be willing to post or send photos?

Do you have any idea of what you have to available for hydraulic flow and psi for the saw function?  It ends up being a balancing act (my opinion). To have a super fast saw ( and the additional $$ invested) is not worth it if you are always waiting for the splitter to return home.  If you have 15 gpm going to a 4" x 36" cylinder, your cycle time would be around 14 seconds.

Do you have any more details about the power plant and hydro options you have to work with?

Thanks!

AnthonyW

Quote from: blackfoot griz on October 10, 2013, 08:17:28 PM
Quote from: AnthonyW on October 09, 2013, 09:16:25 AM

Do you have any idea of what you have to available for hydraulic flow and psi for the saw function?  It ends up being a balancing act (my opinion). To have a super fast saw ( and the additional $$ invested) is not worth it if you are always waiting for the splitter to return home.  If you have 15 gpm going to a 4" x 36" cylinder, your cycle time would be around 14 seconds.

Do you have any more details about the power plant and hydro options you have to work with?

Thanks!

Whatever Surplus Center has available. My brother wants to belt or chain drive two pumps from one engine. Additionally, he also had a similar idea to another gentlemen for a hydraulic drive winch. Only his plan is to buy and electric one and replace the electric motor with a hydraulic motor connected via a clutch dog to allow for freewheeling to pull out the cable.

Along the lines of purchasing the chainsaw drive motor, where would I get the drive sprocket to put on the motor?

Thank You Sponsors!