iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help in identifying this tree

Started by Jarrett, January 30, 2020, 11:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarrett

I have several of these on my fence line in Virginia and I'm not sure what they are. Any clue from the experts? Thanks!

wisconsitom

It's am elm of one type or another, no doubt.  Off the bat, I'd say American elm.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Jarrett

I was guessing elm by the way it splits but wanted to be sure. Here it is cleaned a bit to reveal the grain.

Jarrett

I've read that elm has a distinctive 'manure soaked in urine' smell when cutting, however this has no real odor, definitely not a terrible smell.

Southside

I can't see any wavy lines in the end grain, which is a dead give away for Elm, my vote is Sweet Gum
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jarrett

I might have prematurely ruled out sweet gum...I have a lot of them nearby, but they have the gum balls still hanging on the tree.  This one had none, and it was probably 20 inches at chest height.  I will compare the bark and twigs tomorrow and see if I can definitively rule it out.

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

It is ring porous.  Elm is ring porous.  Sweetgum is diffuse porous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Ok. Are the worms not always there? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

wisconsitom

Jarrett

Does this not so great closeup pic of the end grain help anything?

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jarrett

Thanks. So the 'worms' are the wavy lines in the closeup? Are we still thinking American Elm or is there a way to tell which elm it could be? Thanks so much!

wisconsitom

The species most likely to be confused with American elm is the red, or "slippery" elm.  Both are native trees that can inhabit roughly the same forest types, both have dark reddish-brown rounded buds, but on the slippery, there will be tiny hairs covering most of the bud surface, whereas on American elm, hairs will only be seen at ends of bud scales.

But I don't really use these features to id this tree. The bark, wood, and yes, buds, all say elm, and I think it most likely an American elm.

Used to line streets all over northern half of North America.  Non-fussy tree, able to easily grow through a crack in a sidewalk somewhere, these elms formed canopies over American streets that are all but gone now.  People who never saw this cannot possibly understand how American cities used to look when the elms were still alive.

WDH

Leaves of american elm are smooth.  Leaves of slippery elm are scabrous (like rubbing sandpaper on your cheek).  Bark is a bit different to, at least down here.  Slippery elm is more scaly.

Thank You Sponsors!