iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheelchair motor controller

Started by TreeStandHunter, January 31, 2019, 09:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

While in the design phase consider the effect of too much power to the saw carriage drive. If something blocks the carriage advance you don't want to damage anything. My head advance is just 1/3 HP and stalls or blows a fuse if the carriage is blocked. My mill is probably smaller than yours so 1/3 HP is ideal for mine so choose accordingly. I have accidently left something on the tracks that stopped the carriage advance with no damage to anything.

Also consider possible effects of humidity on the speed controller if it is not hermetically sealed. Just my 0.02¢ worth. 

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crusarius

I am still asking questions after building mine. its fun keep them coming.

as for wiring the switch that is easy. center poles should be power to the switch from battery. other 4 poles power the motor. You basically connect the 2 opposite corners together then to your motor.

That way depending on witch direction you push the switch depends on which polarity is sent to the motor.

edit: Search for wiring DPDT switch

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on February 01, 2019, 06:11:38 PM
I am still asking questions after building mine. its fun keep them coming.

as for wiring the switch that is easy. center poles should be power to the switch from battery. other 4 poles power the motor. You basically connect the 2 opposite corners together then to your motor.

That way depending on witch direction you push the switch depends on which polarity is sent to the motor.

here is a link to an image
DPDT wiring
wiring page didnt open on my end. give an error message. something about being to long. may just on my end. but fyi in case it isnt. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Crusarius

yea it was a very strange looking link. just search google for wiring DPDT switch.

Woodpecker52

That is a good point about carriage power being to much.  I used kill switches on each end to cut power and have a switch at the handle and also have a handle to disengage the carriage ride sprocket. If the motor of mill starts to bog due to speed I just disengage and push blade then lower speed at the end of cut.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

I also never sit back and send the head down by itself, then you are asking for trouble, I am always walking with the head monitoring the blade, motor speed, water lube, diesel lube, and blade guide and if the log is shifting in the cut etc.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Hilltop366

Quote from: TreeStandHunter on February 01, 2019, 05:42:39 PM
Here is the scooter motor I have been talking about. Obviously it has been removed from the axle and the brake has also been removed. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for how to hook it to 12 volts with a double throw switch for forward and reverse aswell as a speed controller?

Could you get and use the controller from the scooter?

Vautour

....@ Crusarius  .. The DPDT is a good idea but in my case using 24volts and not sure if those switches can hold that current!!.. i've  got plans to build my own joystick lever that when pushing forward activates a on/off micro switch and as you push the lever forward it turns the speed controller...and pulling backwards does the opposite with it's own on/off switch and speed controller...still haven't figured out the wiring yet with a stationary command post..  :-\ ..
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

TreeStandHunter

I was not able to get the controller from the chair, they tossed the entire thing except this motor. I will be running it on 12 volts with a motor controller. Th joystick is a great idea ^^^ that would be very ergonomic
In the process of building my own mill.

Crusarius

The switch I have is rated for 30 amps. I did not run a relay because of that. My motor only draws about 15.

kelLOGg

Concerning speed controllers - I recommend a Pulse Width Modified controller because it maintains torque at low speeds. Maybe that's standard in the speed controllers mentioned in this thread but I just haven't read mention of torque. Just another 0.02¢
Bob 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!