MacBook

Started by Magicman, December 19, 2020, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Lynn hope you get your problem solved
Started in the 80s with a cpm machine and no knowledge of how to run the darned thing and it drove me crazy.
Got along for a while then upgraded to an msdos for a few years.
Heard good things about apple so bought an apple IMAC g5 machine. nothing but trouble right out of the box.
Keyboard went within the first month and a tech was sent and replaced it, next the main board went and I had to make an appointment with a so called mac genius to get it looked at.
Took a few weeks to get this taken care of.
after about 3 years of some other minor issues. the hard drive crashed and I lost EVERYTHING. apple store couldnt retrieve any of it.
My final move with this machine was like the old cartoon hit any key with a guy wielding a sledge hammer.
I literally smashed the thing which was very satisfying.
I know lots of folks have good luck with apple stuff, but this experience was similar to my Ford experience in the early to mid 90s with an explorer and a f100
all pcs here now, and android phone, but wife is an iphone user.
Im still somewhat of a Luddite with electronic stuff
end of rant.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

rusticretreater

One of the misconceptions about virus software is that one solution works. Sometimes two or three don't work.  There are viruses, trojans, sniffers, root kits and other stuff.  I have a whole gamut of software that I have collected that looks for different things.  Most are free in basic form.  I have at least four different programs watching at all times.  Malwarebytes is good base to start with.  

A key component of any security software is one that examines all the browser files for issues.  My PC scans a lot.  I back up a lot.

As for Apple/Mac.  Great products but I detest the proprietary lock down of the devices and the incredibly high prices. A thousand bucks for a phone?  SMH.

The app disappeared?  Maybe you should have paid for it! :D

If you can, disable the trackpad or simply remove the software driver for it.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Magicman

This is not a virus situation.

The app didn't disappear, it was just lost, well from me anyway but I found it.  I did get an invoice for the $2.99 today so I entered a sorta complaint so I can be refunded if the issue is not corrected.  I don't mind 'playing the game'.  I'll get Apple's technical support involved.

Why on earth would I even consider removing/disabling the trackpad ??  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

You can change the trackpad's sensitivity under Apple preferences. I've never had a problem like that on any of the 5 Macbooks I've had and I'm a terrible, clumsy typer. I've also never had to change the trackpad sesitivity....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

I have the sensitivity set to max.  Actually touch is disabled and I have to click which is also set to max.  Apple has issued a case number and given me some steps to take.  I'll mess with it this afternoon.

This is more of a nuisance than anything because I do much more reading than I do typing.  I first mentioned it a year ago and the sky hasn't fallen yet.  The reason for this latest interest is that I was curious and did a search to see if others were experiencing the same issue. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

No issues here with a 10 year old MacBook using touch.

I did have to change the battery recently, it still worked fine but had swelled up a bit and caused the click not to work well.(the battery is under the pad)

rusticretreater

My thumbs apparently have a magnetic halo around them as anytime they get near a trackpad something happens.  So I went with a USB mouse and disabled the trackpad.  Its better to have no movements messing things up than dealing with the inconvenience of a mouse.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SwampDonkey

I hated laptops with that cursor button in the middle of the keyboard. You was always flicking a key. :D I'm on laptop, and have been for over 20 years. I like a mouse a lot better than the pad. I never move the laptop from the desk unless the power is out. I take it to another room that uses generator power, and still use the mouse on a small table. ;D

Trust me, sometimes I am doing some fine detailed mouse dragging that would be a complete mess up using a pad. It's fine for point and click, but when you have to draw/trace with it like a pencil, forget it. :D A stylus is probably better again, but I haven't a touch screen or pad for that, and doing fine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have no idea what fixed what but it appears to be fixed because I have not had an instance of the cursor jumping in about a week.  Actually I am sorta hesitant to make a declaration. 

I did download an App called False Tap Stop, even though I do not have Tap enabled.  I made a complaint to Apple about the situation and also to the App editor.  The MacBook did an update and restarted several times during the update.  Of course I have deleted my History and Cache. 

Before now, I would have had to chase the cursor more than once while typing a reply this long, so maybe.....

JJ

Many laptops now have touch screens, I have to remind my wife who likes to point at things on my screen.  Points can be clicks, even without fully contacting. 

JJ

RetiredTech

Am I the only person on the forum that's not using Mac or Windows? When I was working it was an all Windows environment. We had a fairly large network spanning multiple buildings spread out over several miles on a one campus. We needed a backup system, NAS, and a network monitor system to alert us to outages before the users realized there was a problem. I turned to Linux. It's a free OS that runs on MAC or PC hardware replacing the original operating system. It's fast, stable and free to use and not prone to virus attacks. There are many different distributions of Linux. Each a little different from the other. I personally have always liked the Debian distribution or others based off of it.
  If you have an old computer laying around that you don't use anymore because it's become too slow you might want to try loading it with Linux just to try it out. It installs out of the box with software most people will need. Usually Libre Office, Firefox and Thunderbird are installed by default or available to install through their software manager. There are still a few distributions for the older single core Pentium computers. The computer I'm using now is probably 10 years old. I use it every day and I'm very satisfied with it. I still have to support Windows for my family, But I don't intend to ever use it again.
  After rereading this it kinda sounds like a commercial. Sorry about that. I've been using computers since way before there was a Windows or Apple operating system. I still believe that Linux is the way to go if you just want to get things done.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Ianab

Quote from: RetiredTech on March 10, 2023, 08:02:03 PMAm I the only person on the forum that's not using Mac or Windows?

Nope, my "daily driver" is running Linux Mint. Most of our clients are of course running Windows desktops, but the back end mail and file servers we support generally run Suse Linux. I prefer Mint because it looks more like Windows, making swapping between the 2 systems easier. Like you say, you run can Libre Office / Chrome / GIMP etc that work exactly the same as the Windows version. 

My machine is a franken-puter, with assorted salvage parts, and has 2 old Xeon CPUs from 2012. They aren't fast, but that's still 12 cores / 24 threads. I think the CPUs go for about $10 now, and a "new" Chinese system board (probably with salvaged server support chips), some 2nd hand ECC server RAM and a couple of cheap Snowman CPU coolers. Makes a good machine for a couple of  hundred dollars. 

Ditto on using Linux on older hardware. Especially if you upgrade the old box to a SSD and fit an extra stick of RAM. I do wonder if more folks will try it when Win 10 drops support in a couple of years, and leaves a HEAP of perfectly good PCs unsupported? I've got some "retired" 7 and 8 gen I5 machines here, perfectly good units, 8gb RAM and SSDs, but they don't officially support Win11.  Fantastic Linux machines though. But you can run it on older hardware that would struggle with Win10, like an older Core 2 machine, but you will enjoy it more if it's got an SSD and the RAM maxed out. But hardware like that can be picked up for free, and a new SSD is maybe $30? So there is really no $ excuse not to have a play with it.  

Home - Linux Mint

BTW, The Forum itself runs on a Linux box, along with 95% of the Internet. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Back in the day, Apple and Commodore both had a linux machine in limited markets. Both based on Motorola 68xxxx cpu's. The only Mac one I saw was at the university forestry department running ESRI's Arcview and ArcInfo, which was designed on Linux before it shifted to Windows. The more senior forestry faculty mostly ran Macs, the younger faculty had PC's. Commodore had the Amiga 3000UX but poor marketing. They figured you could put computers in Zellers and Kmart and they'd sell themselves. :D At the university book store they had them on display for sale, but they didn't have a clue what they were selling. If you asked questions, you likely did more research about them already then they ever did. :D It could run all system 6 or 7 software for the Mac as well, with Shape Shifter, but no Mac networking hardware. And could run PC 286 based software with the bridge card. It read Apple and PC disk formats with it's own hardware. We actually used TRS80's for spruce budworm modelling exercises. Not the most reliable computers. Brian Sergeant was always fixing the darn things. :D :D Finally PC's filled the room. :D When I took a mechanical engineering course, it was drafting, and we used CAD software some on an IBM XT, ran CADKEY. They were pricey PC's, but they were also built solid, great keyboards. I think pricing killed the IBM brand PC market share in time. Yet the data centers around here are IBM on the side of the buildings. McCain Foods has one near here, it's a global food processor. And IBM set up shop recently in the nearby city. I use Windows here because that's where all my softer is I need. Some of it isn't even written for Mac machines. I don't know of any GPS software out there for Linux. It has QGIS I think, but that isn't GPS. GPS software allows you to make your own custom map for your GPS and upload there in GPS format. A lot of software can upload a map, but it's GPX not GPS, GPX is a track, and not a custom map. There is a big difference.  You can delete a GPX file in the GPS, but not a custom map. A custom map can be turned off/on. Software installs/deletes custom maps in order to work properly. There is no weave software for Linux either unless it's expensive industrial software costing thousands. Is there much for video editing?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Amiga OS was it's own special brew. It wasn't Linux based as it came out about 10 years before Linux. 

It's one of the "Could have been" stories. Amiga machines were ahead of their time, compared to the other PCs in the late 80s. But they lost their way, and IBM compatibles won the race, with Mac coming in 2nd place, but still in the game. 

I actually have an Amiga 2500 under my desk. I should see if it still works... If I remember right it's got 2.5mb of RAM and a 40 mb hard disk. Probably about the computing power of a modern toaster.  :D  

Meanwhile the last computer I bought has a 4 core CPU, 4 gb of RAM, and 32gb of storage. Runs off a USB wall wart and cost ~$100. It's also not much bigger than a credit credit card, and runs Linux just fine. 

Modern equivalent of the old C64 computer might be this. Except it's running Linux on an ARM cpu, and is all open source. But it's about 1000X the compute power and storage...  
https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-400-unit/
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

They had a unix/linux machine which was a full port of AT&T Unix System V Release 4 , the Amiga 3000UX had a 25 mhz 68030. The neat thing about the A3000 was you could boot to different OS's from a startup screen. The base model booted to just Amiga OS and had no Unix installed, but you can boot to 1.3 or 2.1, currently there is 3.5 but that needed a ROM and maybe one of the co-processors upgraded for video and it does have the chip slot for it.  The reason for both is that V2.1 broke some older software and games. The A3000 was the only Amiga that didn't have flicker on the screen, it had a de-interlacer. I owned a none unix version in the day. I've had commodore machines for 40 years. :D The Amiga 3000UX or base model had the AmigaOS as well. I've got a A4000 with a 50 mhz 68040 and has 24 bit graphics with a 16.8M pallette. It's got 16 MB of fast ram and 4 MB of chip ram. I believe 4 MB of chip ram is the limit anyway. Back in the era, it blew other machines with the same CPU out of the water and it was multi-tasking, not just window flipping.

SwampDonkey

You can build a new C64's now based on the MOS 6502 and the SID chips. There is a board from evo64 and new cases are available. There are modern chips being made for the board. I think it's a bit spendy, but doable. :D

RetiredTech

I owned several of the Commodore computers back in the day. The first the Vic20, the C64 and the last was the C128. I think I still have a c64 upstairs along with a Timex Sinclair. Those were fun days.
  Back on the Linux side, I haven't bought a new computer for myself in many years. I have several single board computers running OMV for my home NAS boxes. An old Chromebox running linux to drive a couple ZFS drive arrays that run my backups. A couple old laptops sitting in a corner running Linux that watch a network share where I send my TV recordings to be re-encoded to mp4s. My wife's old laptop now running Debian serves as our Jellyfin media server. My upgrades for many years have been other peoples Windows machines they don't want repaired. You're right though, an SSD and maybe a little ram make excellent  upgrades. Many  times the old spinning hard drive is the problem to start with.
  I'm glad I'm not alone sitting here surrounded by Linux. Windows made a good living for me, but I don't miss it in the least.

RetiredTech

Quote from: Ianab on March 10, 2023, 09:07:51 PMNope, my "daily driver" is running Linux Mint.
I forgot to mention that the LMDE version of Linux Mint has matured into a pretty good system itself. Plus it's based straight off of Debian instead of Ubuntu. It used to break a lot when it was based on the bleeding edge Debian. Now they've dialed it back to the current stable version and it seems pretty solid.

Southside

This kinda turned into a chainsaw thread for techies, and I have no idea what y'all are talking about.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows