iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Shortage!

Started by Outofbounds, July 11, 2021, 04:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Good price. Too bad we don't have any of those here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

smoked

Stihl orange $25 and silver $30 here...  WTH
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Tacotodd

Quote from: smoked on October 12, 2021, 09:08:45 PM
Stihl orange $25 and silver $30 here...  WTH
And I thought that our prices down here from my dealer was "rough" at ~$14 for orange & he only had silver in quarts so I didn't even consider those. WWOWWW
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

silver and blue (winter low visc.)  15 bucks a gallon for each.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

This whole thing has many blind corners they didn't  see .So called "just in time " delivery has caused more problems than the money it saved .So called single source suppliers are another .Transportation problems add up to like cargo ships world wide that sit at anchor because they can't get unloaded in the ports .In not just in North America either .I mean a few people might belly ache about chainsaws but the bigger picture being the production of North American automobiles and trucks being at a stand still  because of an electronic device from some Pacific rim country really tells a much bigger story . 

smoked

It's funny, I first heard of the container, port, cargo ship problem a few weeks back on this exact thread.  Now, it is national news.
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

ehp

ya my chev/gmc dealer is a bare parking lot , not a single new car or truck there , 2 years ago you would never thought this would happen

HemlockKing

Quote from: ehp on October 13, 2021, 10:59:48 PM
ya my chev/gmc dealer is a bare parking lot , not a single new car or truck there , 2 years ago you would never thought this would happen
Our local dealer has had a sign up” 25 new trucks arriving” for 3 months lol the lot is STILL empty. Like not even a single truck
A1

Spike60

Navigating through these shortages at the dealer level is similar to gearing up for a major snowstorm or hurricane, but it's every day. I've managed to not run out of anything important so far, other than the 395's being out for 5 momths. Have to bounce around to multiple suppliers to stay on top of the nar and chain inventory. We are the big saw shop in the region and we simply can NOT tell a customer we don't have a bar or chain for his saw.

I have several industry contacts that keep me informed and a step ahead. And I never vent on anybody about backorders. :) Talked to an Oregon rep yesterday and their overall production is actually up. Demand is kind of off the wall though because Husky and stihl are struggling to provide bars to their dealers. Stihl has been weak all year, and Husky is transitioning to their Swedish made X-tough bars.

Most companies are coming up with some kind of allocation deal on ride on product. Some are quite upfront about it; some are being evasive. Engines will be the major issue. Kohler had told 2 OEM's that I won't name that they will only receive 25% of their pre=covid deliveries. Briggs canceled their deal with Husky and Husky has taken them to court to fill their purchase order contracts.

Hate to say it, but it sure looks like next year will actually be worse than this past year. We're small enough that we can ride out any storm. But how many OEM's, distributors and large dealers can survive 2-3 years selling half or less of their normal volume?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on October 13, 2021, 06:50:49 AM
silver and blue (winter low visc.)  15 bucks a gallon for each.
wow, we pay 18$ for 1 Liter of the blue stihl oil (semi synt 2 stroke oil)
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Al_Smith

Some of the prices on bar oil is amazing .You could buy "vactra " machine way oil cheaper in 5 gallon buckets which works out 26 buck a gallon .

doc henderson

Quote from: teakwood on October 14, 2021, 08:06:06 AM
Quote from: doc henderson on October 13, 2021, 06:50:49 AM
silver and blue (winter low visc.)  15 bucks a gallon for each.
wow, we pay 18$ for 1 Liter of the blue stihl oil (semi synt 2 stroke oil)
I am giving the price on the bar oil.  to be clear.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

sawguy21

A friend ordered a new Pete in the spring, it finally arrived but is waiting for a few more pieces before it is released. The log  market has collapsed, he is now not sure he will have enough work to make the payments on two trucks. The salesman said not to worry, if he wants to cancel it will be gone in minutes but forget getting another one for two years! The old Kenworth his dad drives is well past its best before date so it is a tough decision.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I've transitioned to canola oil almost 100%. Just checked walmart's website, and it's ~$1.50/G more than it was last year. Site says $6.32/G. I need to pick one up this weekend.

Al_Smith

The price of gasoline not too long ago was over $4 a gallon which it did drop eventually .At the same time oil didn't rise too much .However when gas prices dropped oil never has .As far as oil quality  it has improved over the years translating into more miles between oil change on automotive stuff .
Chainsaw bar oil it seems to be about like gasoline and mix oil brand and mix ratio depending on who is telling the story .Nobody seems to agree on it though but it does make for interesting conversation .--My oil is better  than your oil  --tra lah-lah  :D

teakwood

Quote from: doc henderson on October 14, 2021, 10:19:53 AMI am giving the price on the bar oil.  to be clear

Ah ok, i got that mixed up. Bar oil they sell refill motoroil 40 (what ever that means) at 12$ a galon
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HemlockKing

Was just at stihl no bars available and can't even order until dec.15 . They didn't even have 1 20" bar 
A1

lxskllr

Quote from: lxskllr on October 14, 2021, 04:35:42 PM
I've transitioned to canola oil almost 100%. Just checked walmart's website, and it's ~$1.50/G more than it was last year. Site says $6.32/G. I need to pick one up this weekend.
Well, to keep with the shortage theme of the thread... I just got back from walmart, and they didn't have any store branded gallons of canola. I didn't bother getting anything. Wesson was $9.xx/G. I have enough to last awhile, but not the whole season. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out and about. I don't like walmart much anyway, and the one close to me is kinda expensive. I'm thinking someone else's store brand will be about the same price.

kantuckid

Bar oil is a petro product and the oil prices are currently rising. There are alos oil product shortages seen in stores- you can decide whats causing them for your own satisfaction as it's a hot button political discussion. "Just in time" parts are affected by more than transport. Here in KY where that was first developed by the Georgetown, KY Toyota plant we (and other places with production plants) have many small part plants and most all of them have the same "hiring now" signs we see all over from Burger King to you name it. Two of my nephews drive large trucks and were having sporadic employment as parts haulers until lately. At some future date the auto mfg's will begin to force vehicles onto dealers and lots will be flush with vehicles. Thats how they do things in the past and will happen again. WSJ has an article on how dealers have laid off most of sales & business managers, etc. lately as no stuff to sell. Trend toward web sales is going to increase even more than has been seen last few years and those sales related people will not go back ever is one reality.  
Why hate on Walmart?  Is there a grocery chain that's more likeable overall? I'll say this again-in my area it's a decent job that pays enough to compete for workers. Kroger's pays more as unionized but also does much part time employment to keep down pay & benefits. Shop for Less here pays less than Walmart as does IGA. Local businesses here pay state minimum wages of around $8 hrly.   They all compete for the same customers in their own way. I knew a lawyer (our county atty from NJ) who told me he wouldn't go in Walmart as the customers were too "rough"-he lioke Target better. . He left for Louisville where he's maybe happy now? I see scruffy people in every store I go in as many seem to show up in the clothes they  slept in...
I think many prices are a function of when they were produced, especially anything coming from a volatile market like petro products or agriculture related oils. Metals are that way and have been since covid 19 came around. Inflation is real if you actually shop for items. Many people do not shop, they just buy. This is seen often in gasoline where prices vary 30-40 cents a gallon around me. The "Patels" own many gas stations in my rural area and raise prices way beyond others who march in lock step to their suppliers no matter if they've had a recent shipment or it's last weeks gasoline. 
ve
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

JDowns71

The entire market is crazy right now.  Just got back from Cat and a 800hr used 239D3 was selling for more than a 259D3 new, simply due to availability.  Was a tough decision between a new 239D3 with next years 5% price increasing or buying now a 259D3 for slightly more money without the 5% price increase and better financing.  Need to move fast on equipment since the availability is extremely depleted with long wait times.    We were so use to product availability that we could purchase on demand, and now you have to be very proactive looking much further into the future.

Spike60

Well, the 20" .058 Oregon bars I ordered back on April 12th showed up yesterday. I was down to my last 3; talk about "just in time":)  Small victory, but I'll take it.

Would like to see the second half of my snow blower order show up, but that's looking like Thanksgiving at best. Got a list going, but not taking deposits, which surprises some people. Deposits tend to raise everyone's anxiety level and generate pointless "Any word?" phone calls. The ship dates are too unreliable to pass them on to the customer. I'm telling everyone they will be called when the blowers show up, but in the meantime, they are free to jump on something else if they choose.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mudfarmer

Tractor Supply here put out an Oregon bar/chain aisle display a while back (never seen Oregon stuff there before), most common stuff was picked clean from it in a day or two. I bought the last two 16" chains that fit my little saw (they were out of bars already) but missed all the 20" stuff I needed. About two weeks later they got one husqvarna 20" chain and I bought it, and the last 16" and 20" husqvarna bars.. This was all a few weeks ago and they still have not filled any of the empty shelf space.

Al_Smith

:D If you look at this thread or subject you have extremes on both ends .Very few people would need bar oil by the barrel full or chainsaws ordered 10 at a time .
On  the other hand people such as myself who might go through 2 gallons of bar oil in an entire year with enough chains in the form of bulk chain to last me the rest of my life .Not to mention around 40 bars and 50 loops of chains hanging on nails already .---that's what collectors do you know--- ;) 

Thank You Sponsors!