iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STP Bar & Chain oil

Started by bundy, October 12, 2021, 03:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Anyone using STP ? How do you like it?

Tacotodd

It's similar to the Lucas oil. I've been using Lucas occasionally to increase viscosity on some "questionable" oils...
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

When I originally said that Lucas was similar to STP, I was referring to the STP engine oil additive, I was not aware at the time that STP made a b/c oil specifically. Lucas doesn't make a specific b/c oil the las time that I looked at one of the their paper catalogs. Please forgive me for any misunderstandings that I might have caused.
Trying harder everyday.

upnut

Many years ago I would warm up a kettle of the cheapest oil I could find and stir in a can of STP to make homemade bar oil. Don't remember doing it for long......

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

bundy

Quote from: Tacotodd on October 14, 2021, 03:55:16 AM
When I originally said that Lucas was similar to STP, I was referring to the STP engine oil additive, I was not aware at the time that STP made a b/c oil specifically. Lucas doesn't make a specific b/c oil the las time that I looked at one of the their paper catalogs. Please forgive me for any misunderstandings that I might have caused.
No worries. Saw it on Amazon and I am wondering if it's a new product and if anyone has experience using it.

lxskllr

It's probably alright. I buy the cheapest oil I can find. No issues.

Real1shepherd

I wonder when they started making bar oil? I had no idea.......

Kevin

Spike60

Geez, I'd probably buy one just for the bottle. I remember when I was a kid we thought that STP label was the coolest thing. Used to put those stickers on everything. Never knew what it actually stood for, but it was on Petty's Charger and I used it in my 1972 Firebird.

Talk about creating a "brand identity"; Andy Granatelli was definitely ahead of his time. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

No kidding...it was cool! I think they even had Mario Andretti once on one of their TV commercials. Best stickers ever for cool factor!

Would quiet a big engine as soon as you poured it in....didn't last of course, just broke down into your oil."The racers edge"

Scientifically Treated Petroleum. Started out being made in my home state;St.Joseph, MO. This was long before the Teflon-in-a-can engine "rebuilder".:D

Kevin

gspren

Quote from: Spike60 on October 15, 2021, 07:28:03 AMUsed to put those stickers on everything.  :)
I know nothing about that oil but the "sticker statement" brings back memories. My dad was an auto parts salesman so my first car, 1950 willy's wagon, had stickers for Champion plugs, Fram filters, Blue Streak ignition, and several others including STP. That was in 1968.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lxskllr

A Willys wagon was a sweet first car  :^)

gspren

Quote from: lxskllr on October 16, 2021, 06:06:47 PM
A Willys wagon was a sweet first car  :^)
It was one year older than me and 2 wheel drive but it took me to some neat places.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

STP---specially treated petroleum--You had things like "Wynns friction proofing " and what not .Weather they did any good or not depends on who is telling the story I suppose .It was an early example of the oil wars .50-60 years ago the oil wasn't as good as it is today . 

Tom King

I lived near their private airport in South Florida for a while, in the early '70's.  Google can't even find a mention of it now.  It was perpendicular to A1A, in, or near West Palm Beach.

Thank You Sponsors!