New member getting into cutting my own lumber

Started by Menagerie-Manor, March 09, 2022, 12:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menagerie-Manor

Finally had enough of the lumber prices and ordered myself a new HM126 with one section of trac extension for now. I'll be sawing primarily Doug Fir and Spruce from my property with some Madrone and Oak mixed in. I did not order additional blades with the purchase figuring I would stop here first and look for a popular source. I will be setting the saw up behind my shop with a shed roof coming off the shop wall and I have a spare 3 wall shed I can move in for stacking and drying. Gonna be a while before delivery so I have plenty of prep work to get done.

If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Menagerie-Manor

Thanks, looking forward to learning another skill to keep this old fart busy.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

trimguy

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
Now you need a Logrite cantdog or peavey to turn those logs. Sponsor on the left, nice people, made in the USA.
And you won't have to wait 6 months for it.  ;)
No idea what you will use for a base to put the mill on. Mine is on at least a foot of gravel. My feet are always dry and that mill has never moved.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: thecfarm on March 09, 2022, 07:15:02 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Now you need a Logrite cantdog or peavey to turn those logs. Sponsor on the left, nice people, made in the USA.
And you won't have to wait 6 months for it.  ;)
No idea what you will use for a base to put the mill on. Mine is on at least a foot of gravel. My feet are always dry and that mill has never moved.

I have a flat open area behind my shop so I'm planning a 24x12 shed roof off the back wall and I'm going to pour three  12x36 pads and mount two 4 x 6 doug fir rails under each track. I ordered the additional trac section. I have a decent 3 sided shed I can move for a drying shed and enough space for the tractor to work.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Wlmedley

This is what I put my 126 on .Built shed after I got my mill.So far working out good.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Menagerie-Manor

Wow, ordered last Wednesday and it's already scheduled for delivery tomorrow, location isn't ready yet so I have to play with it in the shop until the weather cooperates.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

trimguy

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Menagerie-Manor

Well instead of 8 weeks it was all of 8 days from placing the order. Got her unloaded and started the unpacking in my shop this afternoon. Will post up some assembly pic's tomorrow.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

thecfarm

Iwawoodwork

welcome to the forum, you will find it a great resource in the future for your sawmilling q questions.
I grew up in Coos Bay an spent some summertime in Brookings at my cousin and her husbands ranch up the Chetco, not far from the park, That was  about 1961. Her husband was also a commercial fisherman and there sure has been a lot of changes down at the Harbor/ basin area since then.  

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on March 18, 2022, 02:24:47 PM
welcome to the forum, you will find it a great resource in the future for your sawmilling q questions.
I grew up in Coos Bay an spent some summertime in Brookings at my cousin and her husbands ranch up the Chetco, not far from the park, That was  about 1961. Her husband was also a commercial fisherman and there sure has been a lot of changes down at the Harbor/ basin area since then.  
Been here going on 6 years now, transplant from the east coast and never looked back. Retired and love the area, it's been growing. My wife is currently the Special Ed director in Coos.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Menagerie-Manor

She's all bolted together and gave the engine a bit of a run to test her out. Just need to prep the location outside and get the rails set.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Walnut Beast

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wlmedley

Head will be tight at first.Recommend spraying slides with silicone spray.It will free up after you run it up and down a few times.Don't cut your log stops  :D
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

jrsloan1

We all know there are two kinds of sawyers, those that have cut their stops, and those that will!!!

Have fun with your new mill!!
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

rusticretreater

If you  have the stop bar set properly you won't cut your backstops.  You can however, cut your log clamp!  I will admit I did that early on.

Oh, by the way. Watch your lube flow.  A few of us have had trouble with the valve on the tank and have had too much lube come out, throwing the blade.  I have put an adjustable line clamp on my tube between the junction block near the engine and the blade guide mounting.  My tank valve is fully open as it would not hold a precise setting for me.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

thecfarm

I see the log stops go straight up and down.
I painted 4-6-8-inch and so on marks on mine. 4 inches is really 3 inches high, and 6 inches is really 5 inches. This way when I am cutting flitches at 8 inches, I know the log stop is set at seven and I have an inch to spare. I can set the log stops at the highest height for better holder power.

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: thecfarm on March 19, 2022, 05:11:17 AM
I see the log stops go straight up and down.
I painted 4-6-8-inch and so on marks on mine. 4 inches is really 3 inches high, and 6 inches is really 5 inches. This way when I am cutting flitches at 8 inches, I know the log stop is set at seven and I have an inch to spare. I can set the log stops at the highest height for better holder power.
Was thinking about paint but like your idea better.

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

doc henderson

on my mill, each bunk has the holes for more log stops.  I will have to see if I could put one closer to the operator station and use a wooden sacrificial stop.  If I hit them, it is because the first one is hidden by the log, and I forget to swing over and check it.  It almost sounds like I have done this more than once!   :o :o :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Blevdog

Enjoy flying sawdust. HM 122 is cutting fir and pine daily. Here's my set up.

Blevdog

Also I use Cook's blades with the blue windshield juice.