iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covid

Started by Bruno of NH, May 20, 2022, 01:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Update on myself, one week after testing positive and taking Paxlovid for 5 days I tested negative this morning! Wife is also now negative although she stayed sick a little longer than I did, she got it first and she didn't take the Paxlovid so it appeared the Paxlovid helped but no guarantee.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ianab

Quote from: gspren on November 07, 2022, 09:05:16 AMit appeared the Paxlovid helped but no guarantee.

Yeah, sample size of 2 isn't completely conclusive :D  But the drug does appear to help, at least in making symptoms less and keeping folks out of hospital. 

I read that some hospitals in the US are starting to feel the pressure from the "virus season", same as we did here over the past Winter. Not so much Covid, but all the other random cruddy viruses that the Covid shutdowns suppressed. Now they are circulating again, and a lot of people's immunity seems to have worn down over the last couple of years. At one point Lil's Kindy was down 4 staff out of 10, and had no relievers available. Fortunately (?) 1/2 the kids were also away sick so they were able to stay open with the staff / child ratio still OK. 

US hospitals are so overloaded that one ER called 911 on itself | Ars Technica

We got Covid boosters and flu shots earlier in the year as we were booked to travel to the Islands, and didn't want to have to postpone (again) because one of us got sick. Neither is 100% sure, but if it stacks the odds in your favour, then go for it. So take care and do what you can to stay healthy, you don't want to end up in an ER that's down 20% on staff and up 20% on patients. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Take care all. Personally, I've never had it that I know of and won't be getting any more jabs for it until it proves to prevent infection and spread. And don't be surprised if you get rebound COVID from taking Paxlovid. It's a thing, the CDC describes it as 'Paxlovid rebound'. If it happens, it occurs after you are tested negative.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gspren

I have heard of the "Paxlovid Rebound" so while it's possible it isn't likely. I spoke at length with a Pharmacist from our local hospital and like the "Jab" it's not guaranteed or 100% but it nearly always prevents hospitalization or severe illness, just playing the odds.

Ianab

Issue with Paxlovid is that it doesn't boost immunity, it just suppresses the virus while you are taking it. When you stop, you are possibly still vulnerable, but hopefully have built up some part immunity. Virus might make a comeback, but you are better prepared to fight it, So on average 2 mild cases is better that one serious one. (10 days at home is still better than a week in hospital)

Anyway, after dodging the virus this whole time Lil tested positive on Sunday. Only mild cold symptoms, but a positive test is an automatic 7 days at home. Several workmates and Kindy kids tested + last week, so chances are that's where it came from. Rest of us don't have to isolate unless we test + as well.  Got a txt from the school today that a kid in Taylor's class was positive, please monitor symptoms etc. Yeah, we already have a case at home thanks.  ::)

I'm eligible for free Paxlovid if I test +. and will pick up a course if I need it. Otherwise relying on the vaccine, general stubbornness and a medicinal Imperial Stout beer from the beer advent callender  ;) 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gspren

To be really effective the Paxlovid should be started as soon as possible after finding out you have Covid, don't wait to see how bad it gets.

red

I just ordered 4 Covid Tests thru the Post Office tests are still available
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

I just tested Positive

bigblockyeti

That's a bummer, I hope you're able to endure it with minimal symptoms and it goes away quickly.  I had it a year ago, got a hang nail at the same time.  Man, I wish there was a quicker cure for hang nails, that one was brutal!

LeeB

I got it 10 days ago. Still weak as skim milk. Took the Paxlovid. Don't know if it did ny good or just made me feel worse. What a horrible taste it leaves in your mouth. Both Lindy and I had gotten sick just before Christmas and I developed a sinus infection to go along with that one. Just about the time we got over that we got hit with covid. I think the covid is done but now have another sinus infection. On round three of antibiotics to try and get rid of the sinus infection. What we had a Christmas wasn't Covid but was just about as bad. Lindy had that worse than I did and the Covid hit me worse than her. I'm about tired of being sick. Sick or not the animals still have to be tended and home upkeep still goes on. Haven't tested for Covid again but think it's done. Just this stubborn sinus thing. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

I've been sick over 3 weeks. Dont want to know,just want it to go away.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I was close to 4 weeks getting over the sinus stuff, mother was to. RSV virus. It was just sinus and a throat tickle, I wasn't sick otherwise with it. Just a pain in the but blowing through a bunch of Kleenex boxes. :D So far, I've never had the COVID. If I did, it was the most insignificant thing I ever contracted because I never missed a beat. So I doubt very much I ever had it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gspren

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 31, 2023, 02:42:05 PMSo far, I've never had the COVID. If I did, it was the most insignificant thing I ever contracted because I never missed a beat. So I doubt very much I ever had it.
So far as I know I've had Covid twice, the first I didn't know it at all but a test when donating blood said I had it previously. The second time it was about as bad as a mild cold and I only tested myself because my wife had tested positive, I went outside and ran the leaf blower and did other stuff during that.

Patrick NC

It's been the worst year I've ever had for being sick. Covid, pneumonia,  strep throat,  multiple sinus infections, and colds. Never been sick this much before in my life. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ianab

Quote from: Patrick NC on February 01, 2023, 06:58:54 PMIt's been the worst year I've ever had for being sick.

End of last year was like that here. The Docs here figure there had been little sickness during the pandemic because travel was shut down, no new strains of flu got in, and general social distancing etc cut down the other stuff. Means our immune systems might have got lazy, and now travel is a thing again there are new strains of the common viruses. 

It didn't overwhelm the hospitals here, but they were pushed for a while. The random infections of course took out a % of the staff as well. Similar scenario at schools and Lil's Kindy. At one point the Kindy was down to 1/2 staff, but they could stay open as 1/2 the kids were out with various sickness. Some was Covid, some RSV, and lots of who knows what else. 

Mid Summer now and things have settled down a lot. Hopefully that round of infections get everyone's immune system retuned for next Winter 

WV Sawmiller

My wife has it now. We went to an express clinic today and they confirmed it. She was coughing and had bad body aches last night. They did not give her any medication or such. 

Now we will see if I get it or not. We had planned a trip south starting next week to see family and friends and we cancelled and will reschedule that. May combine with the trip to Jakes in April.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

My son has it. So far his family has not shown any signs. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

I went and got tested yesterday and tests confirm I have it too. Typical symptoms. Sore throat, head aches, dry cough, body aches, light headed, and general malaise. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Thankfully so far PatD and I have avoided it. 

I just ordered 4 free test kits from the USPS with extended shelf life and updated expiration dates.  I read that the "free" will expire when the epidemic proclamation expires.  Of course, free was never free because we the taxpayers are paying for them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

I went to the Walmart Pharmacy to ask how much Covid Tests are ? The girl asks for my insurance card then gave me 8 Free Tests 

beenthere

:D :D
Paid by the insurance company, and I don't find that "free".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

They stopped testing patients here, except under certain conditions.

WV Sawmiller

I called my PA's office and she called in an order of Pavloxid Paxlovid for me and my wife. I picked them up and no charge from the pharmacy. I don't know if medicate/insurance covered it or always free, I can't take it within 24 hours of my Cholesterol (Statin) drugs so will be in the morning before I can start it then can take Statin for 5 days after I finish the Pavloxid Paxlovid.
Howard Green

LeeB

Get ready for it to taste like Godzilla took a dump in your mouth. Those things have an awful aftertaste but they did seem to help for me.

Ianab

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 07, 2023, 08:40:04 PMI don't know if medicate/insurance covered it or always free,

Whoever pays, they figure that giving 10 doses away is a good investment, even if it only keep one person out of hospital, they are way ahead on $$.

Thank You Sponsors!