iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tie strap kit help for 404 chain

Started by blackhawk, July 15, 2022, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a 404 chain tie strap kit for repairing the Woodland Pro 46RPS ripping chains?  The preset tie strap needs to have a boss that will fit into a .190" diameter hole.

I use these on my Lucas slabber.  Here is a link to the chain:  https://www.baileysonline.com/woodlandpro-60-ripping-chain-loop-46rps-190-drive-links-for-lucas-mill-wpl-46rps190.html

Bailey's does not sell the tie strap kits for the Woodland Pro chains.  The hole in the Woodland Pro chain is .190" diameter, as I mentioned above.  I have some Oregon tie straps for their 27RX chain that I also use sometimes.  The Oregon straps have a boss that is .204" diameter.  So, they don't work together.

Just as a test, I took a short piece of Woodland Pro chain that I had and drilled the hole out with a #4 (.209 diameter) drill.  That makes the Oregon tie straps fit and rotate freely.  Any problem with drilling the hole larger if no one knows of a tie strap that will fit otherwise?
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

Al_Smith

I may be mistaken but I think Wood Land pro was Baileys special made by Carlton .If  so I have a short roll of the last .404-.058 chisel skip Baileys ever sold when Gregg Grande was in marketing before Baileys was sold .Since that time I have not ordered a thing from them .If I think about it I'll get a measurement if that would help .However also if it is Carlton I'm not certain if they are still in business so it's finding somebody with a stash of it or E-Bay.
As to the question it's probably not going to hurt anything by drilling the hole out .

blackhawk

Al - Thanks.  If you can get a measurement of that diameter, it would be appreciated.

I did find Carlton's website so it looks like they are still in business.  I'm not sure if Bailey's gets it from Carlton.  Baileys did tell me that the Woodland Pro came from Taiwan.  I did notice on Carlton's website that they were bought out by Blount International in 2008.  So, Blount could have a factory in Taiwan.

Al_Smith

You can get a package of .404 tie straps on E-bay . I think  a dozen presets and ties for around 25 bucks which I think is high . However like everything else the prices have risen .Now then  regarding most chains I like Stihl Rapid Super as opposed to the same driver count on the bay they are only about 2-3 more bucks for a chain that lasts twice as long .So saying that some times cheaper is not actually better .

Al_Smith

Well not much help .The plump size of the rivet is .203" on the Carlton chisel skip .

blackhawk

I appreciate you checking the size.  Woodland Pro must be an oddball.  I'll just drill the holes larger.

blackhawk

Finally found some Stihl tie straps that work perfectly for the Woodland Pro chain.  They are Stihl part number 3812-660-6020 and you get 8 sets.

Thank You Sponsors!