iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw mishap

Started by Wlmedley, August 13, 2022, 08:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

I've had my Husqvana 372xp for 21 years.It's cut a lot of wood with no problems except for a carburetor kit I put in a few years ago.Yesterday I miscalculated while cutting a dead white oak and had to abandon saw which was pinched and run.I got lucky and only parts damaged were the handle and chain break.Wondering whether I should buy OEM parts or would aftermarket parts be okay.Saw has been good to me and I hate to short change it but price difference is quite a bit .
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Southside

If it were a plastic side cover I would say but the aftermarket, but the handle and chain brake are safety components. What is the cost of a severe kickback and the handle or brake fails? A leg, shoulder, or face cut? The difference in parts cost won't cover your medical deductable. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wlmedley

You're probably right.I know for a fact that the original handle is tough to be as light as it is.No way of knowing if after market would be as good. I'll probably just buy oem parts and count my blessings that I don't have to buy a new saw. I think the last one I saw at dealer was around $1000.I'm looking at over $100 for both parts.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Also I learned not to trust a hinge on a dead tree 🙂

chet

My local saw shop keeps a fairly good supply of 'basket case saws'. I've gotten some good OEM used parts at a decent savings. Might be worth a check.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

caveman

I bought a used case half for a Husqvarna 359 several years ago from Chainsawr (FF sponsor seen on the banner to the left) at what I felt was a fair price.  That may be an option to get used, OEM parts. 

I could also use a 365/372 parts saw to replace a bunch of parts that were broken or smooshed on our 365 when a log rolled of a stump it was balancing on and landed on the saw. 
Caveman

Spike60

AM brake handle probably not a big deal, but AM top handles are typically inaccurate and often torque the mounts a bit. Plus the OEM handle comes with a new top mount and hardware. I'm assuming your saw is the original 372, and you should be OK with it being available. The taller handle for the new 372XT is backordered till the Fall.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

bluthum

Most of the plastic imported parts I've bought have been junk, imhop. For sure the chain brake part would be advised against. Gas tanks and handles maybe a little better since they are not a safety concern so much.

Used OEM would likely be the best but used 372 parts are probably among the most commonly sought hence harder to source, at least in these parts. 

Al_Smith

You could most likely find good used parts from E-Bay or  one of the forums plus places like Chainsawr .Should not be that difficult to find as it was a popular saw .Now the prices might vary a lot so don't be surprised .

Al_Smith

I'm not an expert on Husqvarna as I only have few but some of these folks are .That said if you get the IPL of that saw which you can on Chainsawr it would help finding what you need .

rusticretreater

You might try viewing craigslist and local parts trading sites for a donor saw.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Wlmedley

I tried chainsawr.No luck.I've got a dealer nearby who I bought saw from 21years ago.He's a pretty good fellow.I guess I should support him.I'll check with him tomorrow.He may even have a parts saw.

Real1shepherd

When a saw gives you that kinda service, it doesn't seem reasonable to me to use AM parts. If you amortize the difference in the cost of parts over the yrs between AM and OE, you're talking pennies or at most, a few dollars.

If you can't get it new, like they said, buy it used. Your 21yr old saw isn't going to know the difference between a good used OE part and a new OE part... :D

Kevin

chet

Then again, ya never know. Yer old saw parts might be insulted if ya attach a shiny new and untested part.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Wlmedley

I bit the bullet and went over to the dealer today.He had to order both pieces.$135 total but I agree that a saw that has given me this good of service deserves good parts.Maybe teach me to be more careful in the future.

Southside

We are discussing the saw needing some spare parts, not you - you did fine.  Gravity always wins.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Wlmedley

Parts came in today.Spike60 you were right,handle came with new mounting hardware.If I get another 21years out of this saw I'll be doing pretty good 😊.

Al_Smith

There's no reason why  you can't get another 21 years out of it .Just don't get stingy with the mix oil and don't run over it with a bull dozer and it will do just fine .I've got some that are 60 years old that do just fine albeit they are a tad bit heavy .

Acem

I'm glad you're OK.

Saws can be replaced.
Peace sells, who's buying?

Wlmedley

Kinda hot today but couldn't wait any longer to try out new handle and chain brake.Saw seems to like new parts.Saw seems a little bit heavier.Must be my imagination  :laugh:

Wlmedley

Also saw got it's revenge against the tree that damaged it  :D

Southside

Did you install one of those spark plugs wires that adds 6 HP while it was apart?  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Wlmedley

Don't need any more power.Wood chips beat me to death the way it is :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Quote from: Wlmedley on August 25, 2022, 09:25:43 PM
Saw seems a little bit heavier.Must be my imagination  :laugh:

Funny how that works .Things get more heavy every year .I've yet to figure out how they stuff 100 pounds in a 40 pound bag of water softener salt

Thank You Sponsors!