iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing 2 saws with one?

Started by Owtlaw, August 23, 2022, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owtlaw

Right now I currently have a 572 and a 395 Husky. The 395 only has 1 hr on it. I am thinking about selling both and buying a 500i. How well will the 500 pull a 36 inch bar? My thought is that I can do the work of both my Husky's with the 500i.

DHansen

Just my thoughts, but I'd prefer the two great Husqvarna saws you already own.  And if I was replacing two, I'd have my eyes on four.  But I like over kill and having back up.  More options.  But I understand the one saw makes it more simple.  Friend has a 500i and has no complaints.  Great saw.

Owtlaw

Another dumb question. What tail mount does the 500i use?

Skeans1

Quote from: Owtlaw on August 23, 2022, 02:01:13 PM
Right now I currently have a 572 and a 395 Husky. The 395 only has 1 hr on it. I am thinking about selling both and buying a 500i. How well will the 500 pull a 36 inch bar? My thought is that I can do the work of both my Husky's with the 500i.
I've been running 36's on the 500's for over a year without issues, I did change the springs out on the AV but otherwise they haven't given us any issues. 
https://youtu.be/TNpfSpr0Uk8
The 500 
https://youtu.be/96RzYkOD4M0
Hopped up 395 in the same stand of fir, the only difference is the 395 has semi skip well the 500 is running full comp both are square ground chain.

Spike60

The one ideal saw isn't ideal when it gets stuck or broken. I'd keep one of the other 2 for backup.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Owtlaw

Skeans1, is that saw ported?  Are you running the stock air cleaner and muffler?  What aftermarket suspension did you put in it?  What saw are you using in the second video?

Skeans1

Quote from: Owtlaw on August 23, 2022, 08:47:43 PM
Skeans1, is that saw ported?  Are you running the stock air cleaner and muffler?  What aftermarket suspension did you put in it?
The 500 isn't ported the 395 is ported but setup to run long bar. One the 500 I use a bark box when it's not fire season, suspension came from Westcoast Saws it helps with the floppy nature of the saws.

Owtlaw

would that be the fallers suspension kit?

Skeans1

@Owtlaw 
Yes that's the kit, they were floppy feeling from day one otherwise but all in all it's a hard saw to replace.

Owtlaw

Looks like 1 spring and 3 grommets.  Are they  hard to install? Is there a reason that the oiler is pinned? Will the 500i oil the 36 sufficiently?

Owtlaw

Quote from: Skeans1 on August 23, 2022, 10:19:36 PM
@Owtlaw
Yes that's the kit, they were floppy feeling from day one otherwise but all in all it's a hard saw to replace.

Is that kit a pain to install?
What air filter setup are you running?

Woodfarmer

I'd go with the 500i. I cut all hardwood and have the 20-25-32" bars. 
The filter and av have been a non issue for me. 
I like it so much I bought a second one. Sold off the 066-046-460.
I put an exile muffler cover on one, similar to the bark box but made in Canada.

However it will be a long time before I will part with my ported 2159 & 2171.

Guydreads

@Woodfarmer I will never be able to part with my Jonsered's lol. Best color, and saws, ever made

ehp

I got 5 of the 500i here now . Very good saw with zero problems but I can forsure tell you they like fuel compared to say the 462 and not just abit more .  Best saw plan is to have at least 2 saws incase one saw gives you trouble .  

Thank You Sponsors!