iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone identify the saw in this picture?

Started by Acem, August 22, 2022, 05:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acem

So what saw is he carrying?

30 years ago I was an engineer for Potlatch, at the time an integrated timber, lumber, paper company. Below is the image that was on the folders we sent paper samples in when I went to work there in 1990. The paper mill I worked at is in the photos. I used to know the papermaker in the photo (a 5th hand). I didn't know the logger but love his look!

The quality control/customer service people were in the Technical department along with us, environmental,etc.

One day they were throwing away these folders because the logger on the cover didn't look environmentally friendly. I disagreed. I figure he cares more for the forest that provides for his family than some environmental whacko in the city that's never spent any quality time in the country. 

I snagged a few folders for myself.

Just thought y'all would enjoy.

Peace sells, who's buying?

Real1shepherd

I can't see the clutch cover well enough to tell anything. Full-wrap of course. That part of the saw looks black, which doesn't make any sense to me. Not a huge bar....maybe 28-32". Not a lot of wedges either and rigged different than I did. No faller I knew wore chaps in my time....just bobbed 'Cant Bust 'ems' and 'Hickory' shirts, zippered or button.The suspenders look like clip-on....no, no, no! We wore much lighter cotton gloves...your hands would sweat to death in those clod hoppers. With the bigger bars, we had a leather piece that the suspenders went through on your carry side, on top of your shoulder. If you didn't, the chain cutters would make short work of your shirt.

Maybe it was supposed to be late 80's, early 90's? The more I look, the more I think this guy was contrived to look like a logger......sorry.

Kevin  

Gary Davis

Real1shepherd

Southside

Those wedges are out of the box, brand spanking new....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Shirt has not seen much wood cutting action either.
Just like in the movies, everything always looks bright.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Southside on August 22, 2022, 09:12:37 PM
Those wedges are out of the box, brand spanking new....
Good point and they're thrown in some kinda makeshift pouch. First few steps into brush and they'll come sailing out.
It's as if someone said, "Hey wait a minute, you gotta have wedges too for the real look!"

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: thecfarm on August 22, 2022, 09:16:16 PM
Shirt has not seen much wood cutting action either.
Just like in the movies, everything always looks bright.
That shirt would not hold up...snag easy and rip. Anyone who ever wore a 'Hickory' shirt knows the difference.

Now, Jonsered(s) had an ad series with 'Denny' who really was a PNW faller. His first ad showed him with a 910e and actually all the ads had him with a 910e, even after the 920e came out. My theory is that they gave him the 100cc 910e and he wouldn't run anything else. Yes, there was a real 100cc 910e that made its way at least to the PNW. Some of them were sent back for casting problems, but Electrolux Group AB killed their production shortly after they started making them.  

Kevin

Southside

Pretty sure that is Edward - he used to run the HR department there at the mill.   ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Spike60

Hard to tell between the blue shirt and the blue sky in the top poster, but the saw looks like it might be Homelite metallic blue. Definitely a horizontal cylinder whatever cause you can see the muffler by the guy's ear.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Guydreads

Did any Partners come with black clutch covers? Almost seems like they did..... Could also be a homelite as Bob said

rusticretreater

Real pro there.  Great way to bend your bar.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Skeans1

Quote from: rusticretreater on August 23, 2022, 10:17:47 AM
Real pro there.  Great way to bend your bar.
Have you ever been on the west coast or seen how we pack in or out? It's real common to pack a saw on your shoulder like that even 60" bars without bending them.

snobdds

sablatnic

Quote from: Guydreads on August 23, 2022, 09:19:05 AM
Did any Partners come with black clutch covers? Almost seems like they did..... Could also be a homelite as Bob said
Some of the farmer saws did, but they didn't look like that one, they were of the small cube and the 5000 types.

Guydreads

That's what I thought. Like the S50 or S55... I've seen em a couple times.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: rusticretreater on August 23, 2022, 10:17:47 AM
Real pro there.  Great way to bend your bar.
I said earlier we packed the long bars like that with a leather shoulder patch our suspender ran through. You're not 'bending' a bar and the best way to pack a long bar/saw outfit.

Kevin

chet

Can't say as I ever bent a bar carrying like that either. But I do remember getting a couple muffler burns.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Real1shepherd

I was always pretty careful about position for that reason, but more concerned that the bar stayed up on that leather patch.

Longer bars have the power head away from ya more. I liked to palm the tip with my gloved hand.

Kevin

chet

I personally found if the weight of the power head was tucked close to my shoulder it greatly improved my balance, and just felt more natural. Longest bars I ever run were 42's though. Only did da muffler burns a couple times, as I learn pretty quick.  :D  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Skeans1

Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 25, 2022, 01:06:27 AM
I was always pretty careful about position for that reason, but more concerned that the bar stayed up on that leather patch.

Longer bars have the power head away from ya more. I liked to palm the tip with my gloved hand.

Kevin
Gripping the tip on the short bars is fine, myself I prefer to wrap my hand around the bar at 90 degrees at my elbow. As far positioning it depends on what powerhead and bar it's running for where it sits best for hiking without moving around too much.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Skeans1 on August 25, 2022, 08:08:57 AM

Gripping the tip on the short bars is fine, myself I prefer to wrap my hand around the bar at 90 degrees at my elbow. As far positioning it depends on what powerhead and bar it’s running for where it sits best for hiking without moving around too much.
It's about balance;where a long bar saw feels most comfortable to walk with. Your brain kinda tells ya where the 'fulcrum' should be.

Kevin  

Guydreads

And here I stand with my 18" bar on a Jonsered 2071. They don't even sell 24's where I live to speak of. Gotta really look to find them 

rusticretreater

Ok, but I'm pretty sure that somehow I would end up on the did something dumb today post trying that.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

Yea, have to remember to shut the saw off first.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!