iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chainsaw help

Started by mtnman, September 07, 2022, 08:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtnman

I am looking to buy a new chainsaw and need some help.  I am not new to chainsaws, I just don't know which saw to buy new?  I am 74 yo and been using saws for 30 plus years here in the Pisgah National Forest where we live in NC.  We harvest firewood every year off the road that has falling down.  I have always bought used chainsaws and took good care of them and they are still good saws.  I have always had Stihls, I have a 117, MS250, MS290 and a Stihl TC.  I also have a Echo tree climber saw that was given to me.  All used and working great.  At 74 the MS290 is getting hard for me to start with just holding it, I have to sit it down and put my foot on it sometimes to pull it.  I can handle the MS250 fine.  I have finally decided that I can finally buy a new saw!  I used a friends Husqvarna recently and I really liked it.  Now, every time I go in to town I end up looking at new saws.  Here is what I think the saw should be: 10 pounds, 50cc, 16 inch bar and cost about $300 and be a Husqvarna.  Which Husqvarna model should I buy?

thecfarm

I bought a Husky 450e a few years ago.
Light weight, easy to start. 
I did have to have the recoil part replaced about a year after I bought it. But was only $45.
That thing starts easy.
No reason to pull hard on it. Just an easy pull will get it going.
But was no $300 dollar saw.
This is a 50cc saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I am with Cfarm. The 450 is a great saw for firewood and general work. Don't get the box store version unless you have no choice, use a dealer and pay a couple extra bucks for the support. I have a straight 450 that I got from our dealer here about 6-8 years ago and it has run like a top with just good chain and bar care, changing filters once in a while and giving it a cleanup a couple of times a year. Not a single issue, in fact, I have yet to take it back to the dealer to get it checked out 'after I run a few tanks through it'. (I gotta do that soon.)
The saw will run a 20" bar, which I have on it now, but I think I am going back to the 18" now that I have a 562. I have cut tons of firewood every year and dropped a lot of trees with it. I also use it at the mill for bucking and trimming, hacking slabs, etc. It doesn't run every day, but it surely gets used every week for a few sessions.
It's a bit over your price point, but shop around, you may find a deal you can live with.
Good luck.
@Spike60 can advise you further when he comes around.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Just checking back. That 450e gets used every week. Most times 3-4-5 days a week. Maybe only 3-4 hours a day, but it gets used.
I have put a lot of hours on that saw.
When I buy something, I use it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Real1shepherd

I don't think $300 is a realistic price threshold like for the aforementioned 450. COVID has driven all prices up including chainsaws.
And good advice to stay away from the box stores. Buy at a dealer so you can bank in service if necessary.

Kevin

Spike60

Which model Husky does your buddy own that you liked? 

450 is pretty much what you want from your post. Over your intended budget, but better to pay $400 for a saw you will enjoy than $300 for a saw you don't like. The chassis below the 445/450, the 435/440 really isn't that good, and we don't even sell them. The Lowes SKU has an 18" bar that quickly over matches the little Oreo cookie size clutch on that saw. Very rare to see a toasted 450. They hold up very well. 

The 450 does NOT have a deco. Husky has gone a different direction with some of these saws regarding ease of starting. First is a spring assist starter. Two is a coil that will fire at lower RPM's. Say, 700 rather than 1300-1400. It's a different experience than some of the rubber band feeling starters that are out there; it has a normal feel to it. And it actually works, as I have some older guys who have bought 550's that can't get them going, but we switch them over to the 545 starter and they can now start the saw with no problem. Thing to keep in mind with a deco is that while it does make a saw easier to pull, at the same time it is dropping the compression 20-25 PSI in order to achieve that. Not a good thing on older saws that are getting tired, or even new saws that haven't broken in yet. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

thecfarm

Has only one bar nut too. 
Which does not matter at all.
Here's the short thread I have on it.
450e

Old Greenhorn

Well now I find myself in an odd position. I am not correcting Bob here by any means, there must have been a change over time in the 450. However, the 450 that spike sold me around 7 years ago does have decomp. Probably they have changed that now, hence Bob's statement. I never knew there was a spring start available, but really I don't need or want it...... yet. I have never had to pull this saw more than 4 times on a cold start.
 I use the decomp on cold start, but usually don't need it after that. It's a great work saw is all I'll say.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

I have no idea on the cost, but have you considered an electric chainsaw.
There is no hard starting involved.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mtnman

Thanks for all the great replys!  The saw my friend has was, I think a 435? I will check the specs on that 450.  I can do $400 if I need the 450.  I just did not know where to start and when I am in the stores I dont have any comparisons. 

Spike60

Tom, there are a lot of confusing variations in the model number differences/combinations on this chassis, such as "e-series", "rancher" and "II", as in Roman numeral number 2. It was a dumb idea when Ford came out with the "Mustang II" in 1974, and still making little to no sense to customers 48 years later.  ::)

The new vs the old 450 can most easily be identified by the lack of a hole in the top cover where the deco had been. There are other changes of course that you need to pay attention to when working on these saws. That low RPM coil is nice, but it is $88 vs the $28 junk coil in the early saws that is shared with the 435/440. Nor can you put it in the early saws, as the flywheels are also different. Carbs are the same though and are only around $40. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mtnman

OK, I did some research on the 450 Husqvarna and I like what I read.  I agree, I think this is the saw I will like.  When I go to buy the Husqvarna 450 chainsaw, are there any numbers or letters that go with the Husqvarna 450 name?  In my search I have seen 450R, 450 Rancher and X-Torq?  It may be all the same saw but I want to make sure I get the right saw?  What do I ask for?  Also, as a Veteran I get 10% off at Lowes or Home Depot?

mtnman

I think Spike just brought up the same issue as far as what do I ask for?

Spike60

Nothing to worry about there, but that's what I meant about it getting confusing. They pared down all the different SKU's a year or 2 ago. It is only orderable 2 ways: In a cardboard box with a 20" or with an 18" in the plastic "power box" carrying case. The word Rancher has moved from the bar to the starter decal. The bars have the "XC force" graphics on them now. So, all you gotta do is say, "I'm looking for a 450"  

As an aside, this saw gained the "Rancher" designation when the price of the 455 went past the $400 price point and Lowes insisted on a 20" saw with that retail price. Over the years, that has become a quasi-model name. Started out on the 50 and 61 white tops, then the 55 Rancher of not long ago. Folks come in and ask for "The Rancher" and are surprised that there are 3 of them.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mtnman

Thanks Spike for clearing that up, just ask for a "husqvarna 450" is easy!

Guydreads

Sounds like the 450 is what you want.... Go for it! The echo 501p would've been another good option for 50 bucks less, but hey, if you want Husky, get Husky. (I'm partial to Jonsered for no particular reason.... just kidding I LOVE the red and black, but Husky is close enough these days for me)

thecfarm

No decomp on my saw. 
I used it this afternoon for a couple tanks full.
Just about to go out and do it again.
I bought the 450e from a dealer. 

scsmith42

Have you considered the Makita XCU03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 14" Chain Saw Kit with, 4 Batteries (5.0Ah).

$389 on Amazon.

No starting issues, no fuel mix required, and very highly rated.  Low noise, four batteries and a fast charger.  

No carb's to replace / rebuild, no worries about ethanol fuel either.

Just something to consider.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Eduardo K

A few years back a good friend of mine bought a huge parcel of wooded land. He bought a 450 rancher as his first saw.  I had an old ms290 and compared the two. The feel and ergonomics of the 450 are hands down better and it's far more comfortable to run.  It does have less displacement/power.  I don't recall the differences in starting. IIRC, neither saw has a decomp. 
I liked the feel of the Husky a lot. Last year, I was eyeing a new Ms 261, but decided to go to a Husky dealer to feel out a 550 for comparison.  I ended up buying the Husky 550 mkII and never looked back.
Husqvarna models and designations are more straight forward that Stihl. A 400 is a farm or ranch saw, whereas a 500 is a pro saw. The digits after the 4xx or 5xx refers to the displacement.  That is, a 450 is a ~50cc farm saw, a 543 would be a ~43cc pro saw.  I'm not sure about the 100 series saws. 
I think echo came out with a 4910 last year.  It's a 50cc saw with a decomp and very lightweight. I've never used one, just something to put out there.  
Battery powered is another option if you're able to accomplish the cutting with the runtime and supported bar length. 

Good luck. 

aigheadish

All the other posters, I'm sure, are much more familiar and knowledgeable about saws but I just wanted to add my 2 cents of loving my Husqvarna 455 Rancher with the 20" bar (though occasionally I think a 24" would be nicer). 

I started with a small Stihl around 6 years ago as my first saw and I didn't have much success getting it started (though it was used) and it was more frustrating than I wanted to deal with. It was on loan so, other than the expense of a $500ish saw I was fine picking up the 455. I've been very pleased. I get some use out of mine but certainly not even monthly and the thing still fires up as easy as when it was brand new. I do notice that the torque on it seems a bit lacking and if I ever step up to a more professional saw it will be to pick up some more power (likely for chainsaw milling, if it happens), but for now it's an excellent saw for my limited needs. 

Uh, remember to mix your fuel and oil. I think I've made noise about this on every post I've talked about this saw on, but my first saw, somehow, even though I had a system, I managed to forget the mix. The saw was so unhappy about that that it froze itself up completely. Therefore, I bought 2 $500+ saws in a year, not ideal. I've forced myself to buy pre-mixed now, but I'm sure one day I'll try again, with my system.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

barbender

If you have that much trouble remembering to mix (it happens) just mix all of your gas. Your 4 strokes won't care and no more burned up 2 strokes.

I must not be very fussy when it comes to saws. I have Huskies (390xp, 562xp, and 346xp) a Jonsered 2171, and a Stihl ms261m. I don't dislike any of them. The Stihl 261 would certainly fill most of your requirements, although it's a lot more money. I don't even know what they go for now, I think I paid $600 for mine 5-6 years ago. It does have a decompression valve, and I find it easy starting but I don't know how it would compare to the Husky 450.
Too many irons in the fire

aigheadish

I never thought to mix all my gas, that's interesting. Thanks!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

barbender

It would probably be a lot cheaper than running the pre-mix bottles, gosh that stuff is spendy. It depends on how much 2 stroke premix fuel you through.
Too many irons in the fire

Guydreads

John Mc

I never have understood the fascination with putting long bars on smaller saws. In my opinion, a 16" bar is a much better match for the power of a 450 (or most 50 cc saws) than an 18 or 20". It also balances better with a 16" bar. I'm cutting mostly hardwoods. I suppose I might use a bit longer bar in softwood, but generally, if I'm going to use a 20" bar, it will be on a 60 cc saw (and even then I'll go with a 16" bar on my 357XP unless I know I'll be doing a lot of cutting where the longer bar is needed. I still haven/t decided what my new 562XP will wear most of the time.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!