iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scotch Broom

Started by kantuckid, October 07, 2022, 08:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

I saw this newish weed yesterday mowing a meadow. It had shiny, flat, dark black seed pods and maybe 3-4' high. Google tells me it's Scotch Broom and seeds live for 5-60 years and so on. First time I've ever seen it on my place. It's illegal in many places and been around since the late 1800's. Actually edible and can be used for brooms, has pretty yellow flowers. i suppose a bird shat it upon my place?  :D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

Never see it here, but we have another legume (pea-like) that grows in woodlands with a pink flower. Can't recall the name. I see it growing along my woods trail. It's not a vine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Years ago my garden plot in KS was covered with a weed that has similar legume like leaves to Scotch Broom but lacked the same seed heads, but did have yellow flowers and was much smaller , more delicate. This plant had an ominous look to it as I mowed it. 

Tom King

We had a lot of it here at one time, but a really hard freeze one Winter killed all of it, or at least that's what we think took it out.  It all disappeared after one Winter.

clearcut

Getting a Handle on Broom

From California, but much will be relevant 

You can still find it for sale occasionally in the big box retailers. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

kantuckid

Burning bush is the plant besides Privet that seems to be taking over here. In past fews years it's everywhere near me. My neighbor dug up a couple and it's a commercial hedge in nearby Lexington, KY no matter that its illegal many places. 

SwampDonkey

As far as woody plants go, we never seem to have any invaders besides boxelder and that needs open sky, so mainly in the river edge and back yards. Never seems to survive the natural woods. It doesn't get tall enough to get the light. We have a few herbs though that have appeared over the years in wetlands or old unkept fields or woods edges. My woods in the fir trees doesn't let anything grow, it's dark under fir. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!