iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain saw storage

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, October 18, 2022, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm cleaning out and rearranging my shop and I'm looking for some good storage ideas for my saws and related tools. Right now they are kind of scattered about in various locations taking up floor and or shelf space. TIA!

Guydreads

This is what I did for a while till I had to move. You can have 3 saws with bars, and 3 powerheads, or 3 with fuel, oil, and 1-2 powerheads, so I used this for a while. Now I just keep one saw with a bar on it, and powerheads under the bench.

sawguy21

I don't recommend storing saws with the bars buried in wood slots, a shop I worked in did this with a short birch log stood on end for display purposes. Even though the wood was years old the bars came out with surface rust that consumers didn't find appealing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Store mine with the bar flat, avoids temp changes pumping bar oil out and dripping (maybe on the saw below in the pic).  So caps on top and will burp the fuel and bar oil every once in awhile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I've never been accused of being tidy so I can't add much . :D

DHansen

Beenthere has a great point about bar oil leakage.  I may start doing that.  I have been putting rags under the power heads.  The saws I store and travel in cases always stay looking better longer than the saws I don't Have a case for.  I have chains sorted by gauge and dl count hung on hooks.

Real1shepherd

I second the notion that burying in wood can cause rust problems.

Two summers ago I was building some giant wood gates for a customer. I had bought these giant barn framing chisels to make real mortise joints. One particularly hot day I called it quits and left one of my chisels upright in an unfinished joint. The next morning the chisel looked like I had left it in the ocean. Kiln dried Doug Fir. Had to spend about a half hr bringing the chisel back to spec....Sheffield steel.

Kevin

Skeans1

Old book shelves work pretty good for vertical storage of power heads, for bars I normally have them hang under the correct driver count chains on the wall. This work until you get to long bars 60 plus inches they get hung horizontal on the walls or above doors to help save space.

Guido Salvage

I use Muscle Rack shelving, I have a couple hundred stored that way.

Bostonstrong

Here is my method....two layers of 3/4 plywood (scraps I took from dumpster at construction site)  with slots cut in for bars and cheap brackets from Lowes.  BTW, if I am not using saws for a few days, they get drained.  Just a habit I started years ago.  Even new saws leak oil occasionally

"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."
G.K. Chesterton

Thank You Sponsors!