iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms 881 magnum drive sprocket

Started by Edwardjohn, October 23, 2022, 03:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwardjohn

Hello all I have a broken ms 881 drive sprocket.404. Never had to change one in all my 51 years of sawing. Is there anything I need to be alarmed about on my saw? Where can I get one tomorrow (Monday)? Thanks for the help

charles mann

If and if your local dealer is like mine, a big IF, your local stihl dealer might have one. Might try amazon if you have prime and the sprocket is available on prime. Might not be an oem but it might get you by till an oem from madsen or bailey's can get you a couple replacements. 

Did you get it in a bind? Was it the clutch housing to sprocket drive teeth, chain drive teeth breakage or did the sprocket break into several pieces? 
Could have just been a bad part out of the box. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Edwardjohn

JThanks for the reply Charles 
I've had the saw for about a year and a half no issues whatsoever, today I was running it and noticed it was clicking pretty good and the chain got loose so I tensioned it but the chain wouldn't free turn. That's when I found the drive broken on the outside rim, about a 3/4 piece that was jamming it. So I put stuff away and got a cup of coffee. And I hear ya about local shops having them on hand, I don't think anyone on the east coast has one lol

charles mann

My 661 spkt is showing signs of decent wear, which caused me to order 2 more. Amazon might be the fastest bet till an oem can arrive. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

doc henderson

make sure the saw is oiling the bar.  it should throw some ahead of it like onto the ground or a log in front.  the is the only time I broke a drive sprocket.  it was not oiling.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Maine372

Ive broken two sprokets. One was worn to the point it split in two circles. The other broke into two c shaped pieces for no know reason. Neither damaged the saw in any way. 

ehp

I had a good running 084 that would break 8 tooth 3/8 gears like they were candy , If the end of the bar touched another log when cutting up with it you were putting a new gear on it 

WV Sawmiller

Another item to remember is, especially with a new chain, if you tighten it when it is hot remember to loosen it a little when done sawing as when it cools it will tighten a little more. (At least that is one note in the instructions I got the last time I bought a new saw.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Real1shepherd

NEVER run a new chain on a well worn rim sprocket.....you're asking for it to grenade. You can however run used chains on a new rim sprocket.

Kevin

Edwardjohn

Thanks for all the info everyone. Very helpful, I took a chance and a local dealer had a sprocket. Got it on and haven't run the saw yet. This brings up a question as to wear see I run this saw primarily as a milling saw and have put probably 2 dozen new chains on it. Should I stock up on drive gears as well ?     My gear split in two down the center

lxskllr

It's sensible to keep at least one spare. It's a cheap part, and you won't cut anything without it. I keep spare rims in my saw bag, though I haven't needed one yet.

doc henderson

you did well.  I figure after 4 new chains, might be time for a drive sprocket.  good times.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Edwardjohn

Thanks doc I have three more coming. I definitely will be more aware from now on

Skeans1

The standard use to be 5 chains to one bar and sprocket or rim.

Real1shepherd

I just used a visual check....they weren't very expensive and good insurance that they weren't worn down too far, so just replaced.

You'll get a feel for what 'too far' looks like. They look pretty nasty as they wear down....especially where the drive links sit. I'm poor with .404 sprockets...I keep finding them. My guess is that I had one get away from me and let go....then I got paranoid and starting buying 'spares'.:D

Kevin

Tom King

Get some spare E-clips too.  They're hard to find if one flies away from you.

Edwardjohn

My spares came in today
With extra e clips
Been raining so I sharpened used loops thanks everyone Ed

Thank You Sponsors!