iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

piston stops and life lessons...

Started by bluthum, October 30, 2022, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluthum

I've used nylon cord as a piston stop for years and always found it humorous reading about people getting the cord stuck. Seems like that would require carelessness or ineptitude I reasoned.

Sure enough I joined the ranks of the inept a couple days ago after locking a piston solid with a piece of the first nylon rope I grabbed, a piece of starter rope. Went right into the exhaust port. The muffler was removed to see the end of the rope but the piston was still above the port, stuck way past moving with the starter.   I finally got it moved down with a soft punch striking on the clutch, rope came right out and now all's well.

A good dope slap from reality seems to be an excellent arrogance reducer at times. It's a plus when the arrogance reduction is cheap too, makes it much easier to laugh at ones self, haha... 

barbender

Ah yes, a good serving of humble pie has done me lots of good over the years.
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

I always use a cut V-belt and never had an issue. Pretty hard to get that down a transfer port, but I guess anything is possible.;D

Kevin

lxskllr

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I remember you mentioning Vbelt before Kevin. That sounds like a great idea to me.

bluthum

Yeah Real1shepard, that v-belt idea is on my list to try next time. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to improve on, I think that one is a score.

Southside

Can you explain what you mean by this ? Trying to understand the reason.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wlmedley

I think they're using this to put down in spark plug hole to lock engine to be able to remove clutch or flywheel.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.I know a screwdriver in the flywheel fins will break them.Don't ask how I know  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

rusticretreater

I have a dedicated rope for doing this. Its a bit thicker than the pull cord.  I made a knot on the end to keep it from going through the cylinder ports.  I try to remember to bring the piston close to TDC before putting the cord in.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

teakwood

Of course if you us a impact gun it's way less abusing in the parts than doing it with a big wrench trying to brake free the nut.
Maybe it even brakes free without jamming the piston 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!