iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dealers

Started by ehp, December 16, 2022, 12:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

Where I am were loosing a couple chainsaw dealers as they are sick of putting up with the battle and they are closing their doors

barbender

That's sad to hear. We don't really have any dealers of chainsaws exclusively, the last of those guys went away about 20 years ago. Now it is only chainsaws as part of a larger retail store, either Farm and Fleet type that have all types of OPE, or Hardware stores that carry the same. Thankfully both of the local retailers that are set up like that also deal in pro saws.
Too many irons in the fire

chet

Our local Husky and Stihl dealer is now selling and servicing both companies outdoor equipment. Logging is a huge part of our local economy, but saws now only account for 40% of his business.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

ehp

As much as the govt tries to tell everyone how great everything is the business people are saying a total different story.  Couple long time restaurants here closed this month as well .  Couple rental stores as well. 

ehp

The one dealer is fairly big for this area and sold the building and land in 3 days here 

sawguy21

Our local dealers seem to be holding their own even though the logging market is very soft, saws are only one part of their business. One big problem and I am sure many are experiencing this is attracting and keeping good staff especially technicians, so few want to enter the field with relatively low pay and unstable employment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chet

Here and probably most parts, a logger cartin' around a chainsaw is getting to be a rarity. The industry is now for the most part totally mechanized. No need for a guy ta have a half dozen pro saws in his daily arsenal.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom King

Same here.  This is big logging and pulpwood country, but I don't know anyone with just a truck or two and cutting with chainsaws any more.  It used to be that was all there was, but I don't think a single one now.

barbender

Northern MN used to be covered with armies of guys, usually a 3 man crew using a cable skidder. One falling, one skidding, and one man on the landing bucking to length. So there were a lot of chainsaws sold and serviced.

I remember a lot of the old shops, even smaller towns like where I live (population 903) had a saw shop...Gene's Sport Shop iirc. The Husky 266xp owned the woods, with Jonsered 630 and 670 saws putting in a good showing too. 
Too many irons in the fire

Spike60

Well fellas, I'm closing myself one week from today. :)

In my case it's because we are retiring. Been a great 30 year run, with no regrets. But the clock hit 00:00, the ref blew the whistle, and the game's over. Looking forward to the freedom that we have earned and all that I can do when not standing at the counter or at the workbench 6 days a week. I can hardly wait! And all we're gonna do next week is goof off, so it'll be a fun last few days. Only problem is we are going to get fat. Desk is filling up with food, booze and gift certificates for local eateries.

Customers seem to use the word "sad" an awful lot, but for us the feeling is more like crossing the finish line and it's time to celebrate. Funny though, cause once you get to that point, it's over and there's no re-lighting the boiler either. We are very fortunate that we can turn out the lights and walk away. Many folks put the business up for sale and can't leave until they sell it. All we have to do is put up a "for rent" sign.

The business was still profitable, but numbers were down mostly due to no wheeled goods being available. Another couple years of that IMO. Saw biz was very strong, as we are the premier shop in the market for the pros. Not tooting my own horn so much as the other shops in the area are pretty lame for the pro guys.

Pro saws were 1/4 logging, 1/4 firewood cutters, and 1/2 tree companies. Tree companies need a lot of different sized saws in their work. Loggers don't need top handle saws on the truck, right? They also buy the most parts, cause they have the most accidents. "Gravity" being a big factor. Also, the number of employees on a jobsite. Not all on the same page, not all of them experienced, and some of them not all that bright. lol
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

GAB

Spike:
I especially like the wording of your last paragraph.
I wish you a long and enjoyable retirement, after you get used to the loss of oil and fuel aromas associated with saw maintenance.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KEC

Spike 60, Here's to a great retirement. I hope you stay on the forum and share your knowledge; we really appreciate it. I was talking to a grandson recently who hasn't yet found his calling. He likes doing mechanical work. I told him that he could probably have a successful business if he really, really learned chainsaws and set up a repair shop. He isn't very steady in the harness, though. 

Spike60

GAB and KEC ; Thanks for the good wishes. Won't be losing the smell of 2 stroke. Got plenty of my own saws to play with, and I'll have all the time I want to enjoy the collection. Certainly won't be leaving the forum either; it's a great place to hang out with friends. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

thecfarm

Spike60, One week left!!!
We lost a good shop about 15 years ago. Another shop bought them out and closed the shop. 
I could bring in a small problem and they would fix it well I wait. Like a new sprocket.
The place that bought them out only has a mechanic there when I don't need him.  ;D
I just brought my small saw up and had to leave it over night for a sprocket. But he only charged me $10 and the price of the part to change it. 
Just chainsaw shops are far and few now. Spike will correct me, but I heard the companies force them to sell the trimmers, snow blowers, mowers and so on of that brand.
I use to go to a guy that just had a shop. He did not sell anything new. He was only open about 5 years.
Then I found another guy, I bet he was some relation to Spike. A very nice guy that worked on any saw, but sold Johnsereds.
Then he retired.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Guydreads

Quote from: Spike60 on December 17, 2022, 04:52:48 AM
GAB and KEC ; Thanks for the good wishes. Won't be losing the smell of 2 stroke. Got plenty of my own saws to play with, and I'll have all the time I want to enjoy the collection. Certainly won't be leaving the forum either; it's a great place to hang out with friends. :)
I mean who would answer all our Husky and Jonsered questions??? :)

Twowithone

Hope you have many yrs of retirement Spike60 8)

DHansen

Enjoy the last week at the shop Bob.  Just think of how busy you will be once you shut that door on the last day.  Have fun, best of luck and keep in touch.  A big thanks to you for all the excellent replies and knowledge you freely share. 

SwampDonkey

Enjoy your retirement. Cut lots of firewood to work off them donuts and Little Debbies. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Greenhighlander

Spike60 enjoy your retirement. From what I have been able to tell you were the type of dealer I and others have always dreamed of having near us.  
Also glad you are sticking around here. Yours is one of the usernames I have come to trust and am grateful for the knowledge you share. 

Walnut Beast

Congratulations Spike!

donbj

All the best to you! Been pretty quiet for me but always enjoy and value your posts.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Nebraska

Thanks for your contributions here and answering an odd question or two.  I hope you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it!!  :)

Enjoy your retirement.

maple flats

Quote from: chet on December 16, 2022, 03:16:45 PM
Here and probably most parts, a logger cartin' around a chainsaw is getting to be a rarity. The industry is now for the most part totally mechanized. No need for a guy ta have a half dozen pro saws in his daily arsenal.
That may be true, but I have a good friend who logs full time and does it using chainsaws. He has several saws, 3 skidders, different sizes, a bulldozer and he works solo, and he does very well. His big issue seems to be mills that are closing down and his log haulers need to drive farther and farther all of the time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

chet

I didn't say those guys don't exist, but they are the exception. I know some of those guys too, but they are the exception.

weimedog

Quote from: ehp on December 16, 2022, 12:05:31 PM
Where I am were loosing a couple chainsaw dealers as they are sick of putting up with the battle and they are closing their doors
Same. Especially Husqvarna unfortunately. Seems at times they are more interested in selling lawn mowers than chainsaws. ALL the saw shops are already gone. Now places like Tractor Supply & Lowes sell and expect places like CNY Farm supply to support and service. CNY is about LARGE ag equipment sales and support. Saws are a side show along with other hand tools. And they really aren't interested in investing big into lower margin products much less deal with the homeowner saws. Wonder how they will react to the newer Husqvarna moves relative to support & service. Already the contact is no longer a "rep" from the area. But straight to the "mother ship" :)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!