Sponsors:

Escanaba Michigan Paper Mill-Blastomycosis

Started by Ron Scott, April 30, 2023, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andries

Thanks for that link Ron it's a very well written article.
" It's the largest known blastomycosis outbreak in U.S. history, and how it happened is puzzling infectious disease experts who have spent more than a month trying to find the source of the infection." 
The number of cases of 'blasto' in NW Ontario has been rising steadily for a decade. Doctors often mis-diagnose the infection because fewer than one or two cases show up per 100,000 patients per year. But the numbers are shooting up. 
Veterinarians are tuned in however, because dogs in the area are coming up with severe breathing issues after spending a few summer months rooting under the woodshed to get that last chipmunk. Many of those dogs die a slow painful death.
The spores live in cool damp soils and decaying bark. Working in a sawmill, doing foundation work under existing buildings or new projects can all result in exposure.
Hear's a theory from a local ecologist, about the spread of the blastomycosis fungal spores: historically, forest fires have created pulses of high temperatures and sharp pH changes which have kept the fungus in check.
 Controlled burns may be making a come-back if the cases of blasto become a significant threat over here. 
Smokey Bear may have to retire? 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

peakbagger

It sounds a bit like Legionaire's that can crop up in the strangest places. Some folks are fine and never get it, but if someone already has impaired lung function (like long term smokers or folks who had covid) it can kill them quick. I know in the mills I worked there were a lot of smokers and when the mill did pulmonary function testing, many folks failed. 

When I worked in papermills many of them were "incubators' or all sorts of nasties as they are warm and wet with really poorly designed ventilation systems. Folks were real good at putting in huge exhaust fans but they rarely put in air makeup systems to make up for the air they were pumping out. In the winter it was not usual for folks to get digits cut off from outward opening doors slamming inwards on their fingers from the air pressure difference. 

I hope they figure it out and dont use it as an excuse to close the mill for good. 

Jeff

Has anyone seen the series the end of us, based on a very popular video game? The premise is set after the collapse of civilization, caused by a parasitic fungus that turns people into brain-dead, flesh-ripping monsters.

btulloh

Not just scifi Jeff. Happening already. Those affected end up in Washington DC. 
HM126

Jeff

doctorb

I got an education from the link.  Thx for posting.  Regarding the fungus-infected, brain dead people, while DC is certainly the epicenter, i've observed that it's can be a wide-spread affliction. 😂

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

newoodguy78

That's certainly some scary stuff. I commend the company for how they're handling it so far.
Peakbagger are cases of this something that you've run into working on in the mill industry?

peakbagger

Never heard of it in the New England mills I worked in.

Thank You Sponsors!