Forum > Forest Education

Tending your little piece of earth

(1/35) > >>

SwampDonkey:
Ok, here's a couple of pictures of trees I planted in mod- heavy slash piles 3 summers ago (2002). I had this area that wasn't growing anything accept some scattered cedar, fir and balm. It was alot of work getting into the groove and finding a spot for each tree. It's something you could only do on your own land unless someone is paying you by the hour. I was quite pleased with the results and the slash helps deter the weeds. Nothing is impossible I guess, just need determination. ;D

Moderate

Heavy

Did some plantation cleaning this spring (May) with a spacing saw. I cleaned about 10 acres of the plantation and 2.5 acres of natural mixed growth along the edge of the plantation. I have more ground coming online for thinning each year. It's not that bad going and I prefer the coolness of the spring air. When it gets hot out, I'm not as keen to lug around a spacing saw. Try it for a week yourself and find out why.  ;)

Notice I also have a nice nurse crop of aspen that will be harvested before the spruce. There are also hardwood in the plantation that are on a longer rotation than the spruce. In some other areas I have alot of balsam fir that will be thinned out when the aspen is taken. This section was scarified in '95 and planted in '96. My plantations were planted at various stages after that.

This is an area of the plantation taken over by fir. I will be favoring the fir because of size and it's faster growth rate. I'll have to soon thin this before it gets too tall, it's handy to 10 feet tall now. Hoping for my first commercial harvest in 30 years. ;)

Anyone is welcome to post the work they have done with their own hands to improve their land. Even road building is an improvement. Good roads are essential for ongoing tending, nurturing and admiring of your ground. ;)

Part_Timer:
that is neat.  Could you tell me what a spacing saw is??

We have a small tobacco farm in virginia.  We have 9 years and then we are going to move down there.  Just going to slow life down a bit.  This summer one of the neighbors helped us doze a road up to the barn.  We went down and planted about 3 5gal. buckets of red oak,burroak, walnut and osage nuts and seeds.  I won't have any pictures of what comes up till spring but it should be interesting.
    We just purchased a 4 wheeler and a bush hog this week for Christmas so we can mow it down and keep the weekds under control.

This summer we met with a state forester and walked the whole place looking at trees and openings and what we should keep and what should go.  We spent most all day up there and had a ball.  Most of the place is at about a 50 deg slope in the up direction.  I was flat worn out at the end of the day. 

The forester showed us what to mow back and what to let go hence the 4 wheeler.  he even sent us some paperwork on getting in a planting program for some pines also a reason for the 4 wheeler as we need it to keep the weeds back from the pines if we get in.  I think that I'll just move some of the small white pines around instead of thinning them out.  If we get in the program we're going to plant long leaf since we already have pleanty of whites.    He thought that planting the burr oak would be a neat idea since they don't have any to speak of should freak out the loggers in 40 or 50 years to find a stand of them. :D  :D

Well those are the plans for the coming year.  I'll look and see if I can find some good pictures of the place.

good luck with your plantings

Tom

jon12345:
'My little piece' is actually my mom's right now, but some day its gonna be mine   :)

Is a little under 6 acres though so I'll have to obtain another 'little piece' somwheres else to play with too.  Basically this lot used to be a field, there is a hedgerow through the middle of it consisting of ash, hard and soft maple and apple trees.  Most of the old field grew in with ash and sugar maple, with a lot of maple and cherry growing under the ash.  I've transplanted some of the maple to a non-wooded part, that will become the edge of what I hope will some day be a small sugarbush.  Im not sure if I should clear the ash out now or wait til it gets bigger, because right now it is pretty small, you wouldnt even have to split it to use it as firewood.  Regeneration under this part is almost too thick to walk through, so until I decide what to do I'll just keep transplanting maples out into the open.  Since it is such a small area,  I plan on doing a full inventory as soon as time allows.  If worse comes to worse I can at least have a few bonfires  8)

SwampDonkey:

--- Quote from: Part_Timer on December 14, 2005, 06:14:38 PM ---Could you tell me what a spacing saw is??

--- End quote ---
Spacing saw Stihl FS550

Its engine displacement is 52cc and comes in at 22 lbs. It requires a full-torso harness to support it and hearing protection to run it, having a 103-dBA rating at full throttle.

beenthere:
"Clearing" saw is what Stihl calls it, but the 'spacing' tag might be the end result of 'spacing' trees. Never know what these foresters are going to dream up next.  :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap