iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band saw blades?

Started by WoodChucker, August 06, 2003, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

I'm getting ready to order some blades from WM for my LT-15 and I'm not sure which blades would be the best. I cut mostly red oak, ash, maple and a Little red pine, but I won't be cutting anymore of the pine for a while.

So do I want the: 035 with 10deg hook angle, 042 with 10deg hook angle or the 045 with the 9deg hook angle?

I'm not even sure what blades I've been using, there the ones that I got with my mill when I bought it new last year. Also, are the WM blades the best way to go, or is there another brand thats better?

Oh, and is red oak considered a med hardwood or an extreme hardwood? I'm thinking med but I'm not sure.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I really do appreciate the help. Thanks!

R.T.    
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Jason_WI

WC,

I use Wood-Mizer DoubleHard .045, 9 degree blades on my Norwood Lumbermate. I cut everything with those blades without problems. I also send them to Wood-Mizer Resharp when I have 15 that need to be sharpned.

The thinner the blade the more tendancy it has to wander in the cut when it hits a knot or snarly grain. For poplar, baswood or aspen those thin blades would work fine. In white cedar you will want to use a thicker blade because the knots are hard.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bibbyman

You've got a good opportunity to try Wood-Mizer's blade selection program.  If you order on-line from their website,  they will give you a free grease gun.

I got mine. 8)

Wood-Mizer blade selection program

You can also get to it from one of those flashing buttons on their main page.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WoodChucker

Thanks Jason_WI, I'll give them a try and see how I like um. :)

Bibbyman, heck yeah I can always use a free grease gun...Thanks!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Bibbyman

When I first found the Wood-Mizer blade selection program,  I played with it some to see what blade they recommended for what mill cutting what wood.  I'd always get a couple of choices.  I asked them to include some more info to help decide one blade over the other.  They said it was in the works.  I just noticed they now have that feature.  So they either took my advice or great minds think alike.

BTW,  you can play the blade selection game without going ahead and buying blades.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WoodChucker

Thanks Bibbyman, yeah thats a pretty cool setup they got now. I ordered the 045 blades and I'm gonna try out there re-sharp program also. Hope it works out ok because trying to find someone around here thats good at it may be a problem.

Oh btw, can someone tell me if red oak is med or extreme hardwood? Thanks! :)

whitepe

I just ran their blade selection wizard
and it recommended the .035, the 042, and the 045.
Ever since I got my LT15 I have been using the
.042 which is in the middle.   That's what they (Woodmizer) recommended to me initially anyway.   I have
only purchased 30 extra blades since I got my mill.
10 when I got it new and 20 later.  I bought the
20 (2 boxes of 10) at Woodmizer's 20th anniversary shindig.
However,  I didn't buy their new blades, I bought
their quality control check blades.  Every nth blade
they pull from the assembly line, do a test cut or two,
and then resharpen them and sell them as used blades
for a small discount. (I think it was 10% off)  I will gladly
buy blades at that price.   I notice on their web site
that it appears the minimum blade purchase is now 15 blades
instead of 10 a year ago.  
Another thing,  the LT 15 certainly does not have
an excess of horsepower so the thinner blade is
a little easier to pull.  Especially if you are cutting
a 24 inch red oak.

As soon as I can figure out how to get the 62 hp
CAT diesel into my briefcase and snuck out of the office,
I'm gonna pull the 15 hp gas off my LT 15 and put on the CAT.
 :D

Oh yes, in my opinion red oak is extremely hard,
the only thing I have cut that is harder than red oak is osage orange.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

WoodChucker

whitepe, so in your opinion I ordered the wrong blade for my LT-15? Well I'll try the 042 next time if these don't work out for me. I think the first blades I got with my mill were the 035, but I'm not sure. Figure the best way is to try them all and go from there. To bad they cost so much, they should have a deal where you could get 5 of each blades, hey? Or maybe they do and they just don't have it as an option on there web page, guess I should have called. :(

Oh well, I'll live with the ones I ordered and see what happens. Thanks for your help. :)

R.T.  

D._Frederick

WC,
The ,035 blades will give you at least 50% longer blade life than the thicker blades. The only problem I have found is that they loose set faster than the thicker blades, if you are sawing wood with really hard knots. I would have a few of these blades for sawing soft woods.

WoodChucker

Wow, 50%? Thats a lot of difference, I didn't think the 035 blades I had lasted very long, so theses 045 blades are gonna go dull even faster hey? Boy, this could get expensive. :)

R.T.

Minnesota_boy

Woodchucker,
The .035 blades will run 50% longer before they break.  I'm sure the .042 blades will stay sharp at least as long as the .035.  The thinner blades don't crack as easily from the bending stress going around the wheels, so they last longer in flex life.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

WoodChucker

Minnesota_boy,

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, thats a little different then, I think.  ;D

R.T.

whitepe

Woodchucker...
No you didn't order the wrong blades.... You ordered
what you think is best for you. Bottom line you are the only one that you have to please. Everything has pros and cons.
I do like the idea of a woodmizer blade smorgasbord.
Hey they do it for lunch meat, why not band saw blades?

By the way, yesterday I was typing my response before I saw your post on the blades that you bought. We were only
a few minutes apart.

I think that everyone who has posted on this thread
made great points. That's what makes
this forum such a great place to hang out.  (don't you
love my schmooze Jeff?)   :) :)

Oh yes, I forgot to add.  I use the Noble Barker
resharp program.  I just drop by his house and sell him
my used blades.  That way I don't have to send them
to Woodmizer.  ;D    

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

WoodChucker

Thanks whitepe,

That Noble Baker re-saw program sounds like a pretty deal, tell him he needs to expand a little and setup a place in my neck of the woods.  ;D

R.T.

Minnesota_boy

I gotta find out more about that Noble Barker resharp program.  I just checked and find I have 80 blades that need resharpened.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!