iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Magnum?

Started by SJK, December 12, 2013, 04:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJK

Hey there, i´m new in the forestryforum, but have been lurking around in the forums. Mind my English spelling, im form denmark and havent really used the English since school, and that´s 17 years ago, time flyes. :D
My question is, what is Magnum stand for, the stihl saws in euro havent got the magnum to it´s models??
Stihl MS260 FB, Stihl 026C Muff.Mod

celliott

I believe that today, it's simply a marketing tool, a name. Do you want to buy a stihl 460, or a Stihl 460 MAGNUM.
Some older models used to have a difference between magnum and other models (the 038 comes to mind).
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

samandothers

SJK
Welcome!  Don't worry about the spelling.  You are communicating and that is great!

CX3

The magnum saws have a larger jet in the carburetor making them humm a little better.  Thats what ive been told???????
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

NCFarmboy

Quote from: celliott on December 12, 2013, 06:07:00 PM
I believe that today, it's simply a marketing tool, a name. Do you want to buy a stihl 460, or a Stihl 460 MAGNUM.
Some older models used to have a difference between magnum and other models (the 038 comes to mind).
celliot is correct after the 038 Magnum is just a marketing tool like XP=Xtra Power is for Husky means nothing.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

nmurph

Quote from: NCFarmboy on December 13, 2013, 02:13:51 PM
Quote from: celliott on December 12, 2013, 06:07:00 PM
celliot is correct after the 038 Magnum is just a marketing tool like XP=Xtra Power is for Husky means nothing.
Shep

This is correct.

HolmenTree

Welcome to the site SJK.
Stihl used the Magnum logo to tell the customer what they were getting. The earliest Magnums I remember being called that were the 056 Magnums back in the early 1980s and the latter Magnum II models were bigger and more powerful making their name tag worthy enough.
Same with the 038 models I bought, my first one was 61 cc then my 038 Super became 67cc, then my last 038 Magnum was a 72cc powerhouse. My 066 Magnum at 92cc had a dual exhaust outlet muffler with enough noise to make it seem twice it's size.
Good marketing. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: SJK on December 12, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
Hey there, i´m new in the forestryforum, but have been lurking around in the forums. Mind my English spelling, im form denmark and havent really used the English since school, and that´s 17 years ago, time flyes. :D
My question is, what is Magnum stand for, the stihl saws in euro havent got the magnum to it´s models??

Basically nothing on the current models (just that they are large pro saws), but it has had different meanings on older models. Often it was about a larger bore than other versions of the same model, but far from always....
Information collector.

joe_indi

Quote from: SJK on December 12, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
....My question is, what is Magnum stand for, the stihl saws in euro havent got the magnum to it´s models??

Here 'Magnum' stands for something more powerful (and maybe louder). It was popularized more by the movie 'Dirty Harry' starring Clint Eastwood, his .44 Magnum (hand gun) and the famous quotes "Go ahead make my day" & "Do you feel lucky punk".
Stihl cashed in on the word and made some of their regular pro saws with the Magnum badge. This was usually done by having dual port mufflers. The result was a louder and more pronounced exhaust note. The increased airflow from the dual ports leaned out the fuel from a standard carburetor. So, a carb with a bigger jet was fitted on the Magnum. Also, the carbs were the fully adjustable types not ones with limiter caps.
The dual port exhaust and more generous jetting, other than producing more noise and burning more fuel, also result in improved mid range torque and cooler running of the engine under load.
The service life of the crankshaft increases by more than 100%.This I can vouch for because I have been converting standard saws to Magnums by changing the necessary hardware.(mufflers, carburetors and sprockets)
Here is Dirty Harry and his Magnum in that still famous scene:
http://youtu.be/8Xjr2hnOHiM

SJK

Thanks everybody for the answers
And the welcome  ;D
And a merry Christmas to everybody  8)
Stihl MS260 FB, Stihl 026C Muff.Mod

Thank You Sponsors!