iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baton Strips

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 19, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What are you guys charging for Baton Strips?

I sawed 600 today and charged 75 cents each. 3/4" x 2" x 10 foot.

My Poplar logs.

Just wondering. Thanks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

Every time my eyes scan over the subject line of this thread I see "Bacon Strips" :D.  Hmmm...I wonder what's fer dinner?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

goose63

Do Goats eat bacon? digin_2 musteat_1
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Ga Mtn Man

Goats will eat almost anything but at 75 cents a strip it gets pricey in a hurry.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 19, 2014, 07:40:43 PM
Goats will eat almost anything but at 75 cents a strip it gets pricey in a hurry.

May your clutch smoke and smell like fresh cooked Bacon.  :D

redbeard

Curious when your milling 1x10" or 12" siding out of your popular logs dose the sap wood hold up as well as the heart wood. Reason Iam asking is the Doug fir we mill the sap wood in the bats will get soft years later. So I can't get too many out of the side lumber. So I will saw the (example) 12" can't  down to 1" or so from center then flip it and saw down till I get my bat width then I can get nice flat sawn bats that are all heartwood. I charge same bf price that I sell siding for.  Knots are a problem keeping constant lengths. Its kind of a pain getting the customer quality bats at a low price.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WoodenHead

For pine battens (1" x 2") I charge $0.20/linear foot.  That is my price for green material or re-cut dried boards.  Most people want re-sawn dried battens.  1" x 2.5" and 1" x 3" is $0.25/linear foot and 1"x4" is $0.30/linear foot.  Particularly in pine, knots can be a problem.  There is often a quite a bit of waste.  So far people are happy with the price.

Dave Shepard

3/4"x2"x10' is really 1"x2" x10' which is 1.66 board feet, or about $0.45/foot. That's a lot of work for the money, especially considering the quality of board needed, or conversely, the amount of culls needed to achieve the desired total number.

No sapwood is rot resistant. I always try to use only heartwood in exterior applications.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All my customers know when they get bats from me.....the bats are guaranteed.
What do I mean by this?
I had a 28 diameter Poplar log I sawed to a big cant. Then I sawed 2 inches down from the top to the bottom. Flipped it and sawed down 3/4" bats from top to bottom with the last bats being at least 1 inch. Could not go any lower.
Then I bundled the whole stack and moved it off the mill with the forks and laid it on the trailer in one bundle.

When it comes to Poplar.....if there's a bad spot in the middle, the bats gonna break into.
I always give the customer more bats than he ask for and let him know if ANY bats break due to a bad knot.....I will replace them for free.

I do not inspect every bat......saw the cant, saw extra, bundle and ship......they are mostly heart wood.

Magicman

My prediction is that someone will have a stickering nightmare.   :o

My preference for battens would be to saw and sticker 1" boards. (could be ¾" if that is what the customer wants.  After they dry, then stand them up and drop 2" after each cut.

Strange thing here is that my customers want 1X12's & 1X10's for boards and 1X4's for battens.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

I sold some today, I had been saving some of the egging from cutting lumber that did not have to much wane on them 1x2 [ going on my mill barn]
A customer came today, saw them and wanted some . Sold them for .50 each 8' and 10'
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 19, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 19, 2014, 07:40:43 PM

May your clutch smoke and smell like fresh cooked Bacon.  :D

To smell and yet not to taste, perchance to dream of BACON!
                                                                         --W. Shakespeare

mesquite buckeye

Who is that old goat anyway. ???

;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I do not want any "goat bacon" !!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

What is a baton strip? 

Directing a band or orchestra, or is it a batten for board and batten siding?   Just curious...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Most of the battens i sell are 1x3 hemlock sawed at 1" on my accuset 2.
These come from the shaky boards and i have quite a bit of waste.
I charge .15 per linear foot for these.
Dont know anything about goat bacon.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Magicman,I saw a shed that someone built. I passed it every day to the way to work. Fianlly I saw someone outside. They used 10 inch boards and 4 inch battens. The reason they did that,the sawmill had a specical on 10" and 4" boards.  ;D  I built a horse run in like that. I really like the wide battens. I have seen many board and battens jobs,but the 10" and 4' really caught my attention.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on August 21, 2014, 12:20:13 PM
What is a baton strip? 

Directing a band or orchestra, or is it a batten for board and batten siding?   Just curious...

Kiss my Grits BT.....you nose I cat spell!  :D

beenthere

QuoteKiss my Grits BT...

Only if you will correct it..  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Pay no attention, that's just noise from an old goat that didn't get his morning bacon.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ernie

Quote from: Magicman on August 21, 2014, 12:07:59 PM
I do not want any "goat bacon" !!!   :o

Mutton ham is quite nice and is a good use for old cull ewes but I have never tried it as bacon.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on August 21, 2014, 03:15:36 PM
Pay no attention, that's just noise from an old goat that didn't get his morning bacon.

:D :D :D

thecfarm

Quote from: Larry on August 21, 2014, 03:15:36 PM
Pay no attention, that's just noise from an old goat,with a skirt on, pretending he knows how to play golf,that didn't get his morning grits.

I fixed it!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Well, if a goat will eat grits, then I guess it's true that they will eat anything.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ely

I used random width boards on my house and after they have dried I will need 3 or 4 inch to cover some of the gaps. 2" would get most of them but not all.
if a goat had bacon I would eat it.

Thank You Sponsors!