iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Orthographic Drawing Programs

Started by Qweaver, May 14, 2015, 04:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

My old Designer program will not work on Windows 8.  I don't want to learn autocad and I am quite happy with orthographic projection.  I taught drafting for years but never got into Autocad. So is there a 3 view drafting program out there I can use to replace Designer?  I don't mind paying for a reasonable program. I do not need to learn and draw in 3D. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clearcut

A helpful website to find alternative applications is:

http://alternativeto.net

Type in the name of the application that you would like to replace, and it generates a list of available programs. You can filter the list by platform or license.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

JohnM

Q, I was the same way, learned on Autocad and didn't want to switch.  After several tries, I'm a Sketchup convert now though. ;D  I'm not 'good' at it but it does what I need it to which is get an idea 'on paper' and get a cut list.  The program is free and there are soooo many resources online (youtube, etc) that you can learn the basics in a few hours.  (check youtube for 'MasterSketchup' and just start with the beginner vids)

I just spent a couple hours last night drawing up this pig shelter that I may or may not make. :-\ ::) :D  It gave me an idea of what I need for materials at least.

That said, if you really want to stick with ortho I'm sure there must be something out there (fairly cheap) but I'm no help as I see in 3D now. ;D ;) :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Sixacresand

I used AutoCAD for over 20 years when I worked.  For my personal computer, I was not willing to pay the big price for it.  I tried Google Sketchup, but could not ever get the hang of it.  I did find Nanocad, which was a free.  I downloaded and installed it.   It has same commands and behaves just like AutoCAD.  I like it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brucer

Sketchup is a 3-D modeling program. It's not a CAD program. If you're experienced in AutoCad (as I was) there's a lot of stuff you have to put out of your mind before you can get the hang of Sketchup. Once you've got it figured out, though, it is a very powerful program.

You can simulate orthographic drawings in Sketchup by using section planes. Once you've set them up, you can show or hide them at will. Any changes to the model are automatically reflected in the section planes.

There will be a very steep learning curve with Sketchup if you've only worked with Orthographic drawing programs. It will be very frustrating because you have to become familiar with 3D modeling before you can produce orthographic views.

It's not that Sketchup is difficult -- there's just a lot there to master.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Larry

I started with SketchUp when it first came out and think its great.  Completely designed my current house using it.  It was really helpful in getting Kathy to visualize what it would look like, especially the inside. 

I have a couple of metal working projects that I would like to export to a cad program for the cnc guys.  No easy way to do that but Ima studying on the problem. :P
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JohnM

Quote from: Larry on May 16, 2015, 01:43:07 PM
No easy way to do that but Ima studying on the problem. :P
Larry, I assume you'll have to use Layout which means buying the 'full version' of Sketchup (maybe you did all this already if you designed your house).  I know next to nothing about Layout but have heard it's not the greatest. :-\
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Larry

That's the biggest problem, I'm using the free version.  Not planning on buying anything for the little amount I do.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

r.man

Saw a manual drafting machine in a house recently and thought about learning how to properly sharpen a pencil for particular line sizes as well as learning to print and do proper arrowheads. I don't suppose you want to go that far back?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

21incher

I would say keep your old program if you like it and dump windows 8. I also have a old IBM Helix 3D cad program I bought years ago that won't run on new computers because it uses a parallel port dongle for the licensing, but I use it for DXF files for my CNC plasma table. I just keep a old XP computer running for it. Solid modeling is the way to go if you have some time to learn how to use it. I started on the drawing board years ago and still have $1000.00 of plastic drawing templates, triangles, compasses, sharpeners, and much more to prove it. They all work good in my wood shop for laying out projects now. I have been trained in and worked on Micro Cad, IBM Helix 3D, Solid Edge, CATIA, & Solidworks and find that once you learn the basics of solid modeling they are all similar to learn to use. I am getting ready to buy a older version of CorelDraw that has the trace function so I can scan in a photo or sketch and the program will trace the outline and generate a DXF file to allow me to cut parts from photos. You can easily get 2d data from an of the 3D models so I think that is the way to go, but there are few affordable options for home use. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!