iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl muffler

Started by uplander, June 15, 2015, 01:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

Saturday when cutting firewood my MS310 Suddenly started running louder. I shut it off and could hear something rattling in the muffler body. When I started it back up I noticed it was running much better with more power.

Should I replace the muffler? It is kind of loud now... I like the aspect of more power but I do not want
The trade off if it means the life of the saw is going to be greatly reduced.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Dixon700

I believe as long as you tune it properly there will be no issues.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

celliott

Sounds like a baffle or something came apart. You should take the muffler off and have a look, you don't want something rattling around in there.
Or, one of the muffler bolts could have come loose. This could be bad on your ms310, it could melt the case (plastic) over the oil reservoir.

If it was just a baffle, get it the rest of the way out, retune the carb, and you have a muffler modded saw  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

uplander

Will it need to tuned richer?
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

CTYank

Quote from: uplander on June 15, 2015, 03:48:09 PM
Will it need to tuned richer?
Probably. Best not to guess, though. If it's right, it'll 2-stroke cleanly under normal load in a cut, but start to 4-stroke as you lift, still @WOT. Lots of vids out there for examples of what that means, if in doubt. Definitely it'd be too lean if it 2-strokes cleanly unloaded @WOT.

Of course, do NOT hold it unloaded @WOT for more than a second or two. Plays hell with piston skirts, etc. Note also that rev-limited ignition can sound just like 4-stroking; in that case richen (H) until it starts to 4-stroke under load, then lean it until it 2-strokes cleanly under load @WOT, then lean it a touch more. Weather conditons will affect adjustment. The 2/4-stroke check, with warm engine, can tell quickly if adjustment is needed. Really quite simple.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Dixon700

I got a tach and just set my h needle so that it reved to about 13,700 rpms unloaded since factory spec is 13,500 +/- 500rpms
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Thank You Sponsors!