iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 261 Performance Tuning Kit.

Started by HolmenTree, October 02, 2015, 02:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

I just bought this kit today at my Stihl dealer , 3 Picco 63PS chisel chains, 1 Picco 16"-3003 000 6313 bar and 1 Picco 7 pin rim sprocket. Plus 20% more cutting speed........ $99.95 :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

snowstorm

mine was much cheaper. all from the stihl dealer. sprocket was $10 the bar was $12 chain $18. yes the bar was $12 he bought a lot of them and said he paid $8 each. i put it on a 261

snowstorm

now that i looked at the pic you got 3 chains and with the exchange rate it would be close

woodsdog2015

I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

HolmenTree

Just the bar retail price in my dealers book is $75 CDN :o

woodsdog2015

I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

gspren

I'm going to look for that, I hope they have them in the US, I like my 261 now but 20% faster would be sweet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

49er

PS chain improved my cut times more than 20% on my Redmax3800. If I remember correctly it was approximately 35%. Ya could really feel it.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 02, 2015, 03:53:34 PM
Just the bar retail price in my dealers book is $75 CDN  :o

It appears the bars we get here in Canada are the real McCoy Logosol 16" bars. $75.86

HolmenTree

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on October 02, 2015, 04:02:52 PM
Do they make that for other models?
Yes also fits the MS241 CM, older 024 026, 240 260 and the first series of 034 had the mini 7 spline drum/rim too.
I don't know if the 63PS yellow  chain is available in the U.S. I think you guys can only get the green 63PS3 chain.
The 63PS doesn't have the extra baggage of  extra safety ramps and links. It cuts better then the 63PS3.

clww

That sounds like a really good deal to me, Willard. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

Quote from: clww on October 02, 2015, 07:26:00 PM
That sounds like a really good deal to me, Willard. ;)
Yes I thought so too. At first I thought it was just for the 3 chains and rim sprocket as there was no bar inside the sleeve. But my dealer confessed someone swiped the bar and gave me a bar from his inventory.  I can run that bar on my 066 as I have a Logosol Picco sprocket drum for it for milling.

clww

That should scream! I've never run a bar that short on a saw that large, although when I bought my 090, one of the bars it came with was a 21". Not very balanced.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

How about a 17" I have for my 090. Full skip .404 chisel included  :D

ST Ranch

Thanks HT for this post

Just ordered a kit today from my dealer - he had not heard of it, but called Stihl Canada and they confirmed it was available for the 99.95.

It must be hard for the dealer to stock and sell this kind of kit, when they charge well over 30 bucks just for a loop of said chain - My dealer now sells mostly lawn and garden power tools and weekender powersaws - not many pro saws these days

Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

HolmenTree

You're welcome Tom. I don't think Stihl will keep these kits available for long especially at this price.
For the last year or so they've really been pushing the MS241 CM and the new 63PS chain. Good reminder to know it's available for the 261 also.

DelawhereJoe

Just found this thread, any of you guys switched over to it in the US ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

zach613

tried looking this up at my local dealer and was not available in the us. might have to get a Canadian friend to order this for me.

Ada Shaker

Yeh, don't think we get them down under either. Promotional stuff seems to come out around 6 mths later also. ::)
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

SawTroll

Calling a different from standard cutting attachment a "tuning kit" is quite far fetched anyway, as the option has been there since the model was introduced - and obviously has disadvantages.
Information collector.

ladylake

The 20% faster cutting far outweigh any disadvantage's, I really like that picco chain..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

HolmenTree

I agree Steve.
Plus SawTroll who is very critical about weight should know the chain is lighter too . :D
Here's the back of the package . Says on the bottom Made in Germany.

ehp

How much power will it stand before it breaks , I'm running 3/8's on this ported 261 and it cuts just about the same in hardwood as the stock 372's /461's

HolmenTree

I've milled a few thousand feet of 2"×6" lumber on my Alaskan with this little Picco on my 066 Mag.
Still haven't broke the loop yet.

aSmith

Just picked up a 261 and the dealer had no idea about running Picco on it. Sounds like I'm gonna have to cross the bridge and try to find a tuning kit in Windsor. Any idea on the model number?

Holmen, what size bar are you picco-milling with? And how long would you go? Wondering if I should make that adjustment too. Thanks,
Adam

Thank You Sponsors!