iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 020AV

Started by ddwilson, October 26, 2015, 03:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddwilson

I just picked up a 020Av from a friend about free starts right up 1-2 pulls and runs and idles great problem is switch does not turn it off
Any suggestions where to start. Also need to pick up a couple of spare chains and not having any luck finding them.
Doug
Doug

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. The switch grounds the ignition, it is either not hooked up (broken wire to coil) or has failed. You need to remove the fuel tank to get at it.
The chain should not be a problem. Take the saw with the bar to a dealer or post the numbers from the bar so we know what length you need.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

If I recall correctly some of the very early 020 models might have used 1/4" chain .During that time period 3/8" low profile chain was not available.

You can find it on flea bay at times or it can be purchased as it's used for carving chain .

HolmenTree

Yup the 020 was introduced in 1971 equipped  with 1/4" chain.
Oregon didn't introduce the 3/8" LoProfile until 1975 and Stihl introduced the 3/8" Picco in 1979.
So the  Stihl 020 was stuck with the 1/4" b/c up until that time as Stihl quit supplying their saws with Oregon chain about the time when the 020 was introduced.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ddwilson

I was guessing it could be a lose connection on the switch will put it on the bench and check it out.  it has a 12" bar will have to measure the chain and see if it is the 1/4 or 3/8 but guessing probably 1/4. Surprised how easy it was to get running sprayed carb with engine tune and adjusted it, tightened the chain was all I did to it runs better than a lot of new saws.
Doug

sablatnic

About the switch; it is most likely to be just dirt. I believe that I saw more switches that didn't than I saw ones that did!

Al_Smith

Some info if it is 1/4" chain .12" takes 54 drive lengths,14"-72 DL  and 16" 80 DL .It's the same bar as an 015 if that helps .

deerslayer

Worked on one of these today that the guy couldn't get to run. I dumped the stale fuel out of it. Pressure checked the fuel line and carb, checked the carb screws for proper settings, fueled it up with fresh mix and it was running fine. Tweaked the tune and it's ready to go.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Al_Smith

I've never seen a rear handled 020AV but I do own an 020AV top handle .It does okay but it is one of the most user unfriendly saws to work on .I put it in the Mini Mac category for that.

The one I own is banished to the shelf needing a carb rebuild if I ever get the patience to work on it again.

The designers actually made a good little saw they just failed miserabley with a design you could work on short of field stripping the little pot licker to even get the carb off or change the sprocket .I sometimes wonder if it was a master plan or just a SNAFU .

exffpm

Stihl 020AV has screws at both ends of the slide, I just pulled it out and sprayed it hard with electric contact cleaner. I think I cleaned the contact surfaces, put a bit of silicone grease (dielectric grease)....works like God and Stihl intended.

Thank You Sponsors!