iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This week's project in Alaska!

Started by ADfields, October 28, 2003, 08:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADfields

I am trying to get this done before it snows as it wont fit in my little shop with the boom on.

I have around $900 in it and a lot of work but it is looking like it will out do what I had planed on.   It held over 1000lbs with the boom dead flat and all the way out (17 foot) but had a lot of flex in the Ford F150 axle I used as a pivot.   I only planed on 500lbs or so that far out but at 8 foot it picked my log splitter and me like nothing. 8)   The winch for boom up/down is a 3500lb and I have a 4500lb just like it for the cable off the tip of the boom.   Still a lot of work to do on it but wanted to show it off a bit.
Andy

carhartted

It is coming Andy, it snowed here in Fairbanks a few days ago but now they are calling for rain :( by Thursday.

Is there some type of outrigger on you boom?

Jonathan
Here's to making sawdust.

ADfields

I have not got to building the outriggers yet, just got the boom bolted on the trailer today.   I have snow at 2000 foot on the mountains as of sunday night and we have a bit of rain and fog outside right now.   Looking at a low of 22 hear in the morning. :-/   Ain't it odd what we get for weather now days!
Andy  

carhartted

I hear that, I grew up in Anchorage and I recall it snowing more than a foot on October 15 every other year.  I remember since that is my birthday and the power went out more than once from all the snow.

The last few years in Fairbanks have been downright balmy, it barley got to 40 below.  Not that I or my truck are complaining.

Jonathan
Here's to making sawdust.

UNCLEBUCK

ADFields that is a very neat trailer you have made, you will have to show pictures loading logs and maybe a moose ;D you live in gods country !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ADfields

Thanks Buck.   I will see what I can do for working pix as soon as it's done.   It should pick a moose just fine. ;)   And Alaska is as close to heaven as I want to get for some time!!! :) :)
Andy

ADfields

Alright boys, I put her to work some today! :) 8)
It's not 100% done yet but as you can see it will load some green wet Alaska Birch on a cool wet day.

Drag it over.

Get the tongs in the sweet spot.

And set it on top! ;D

We were after firewood so small logs are 2, 3, or even 4 at a wack.

Harder to find the middle with a wack as you can see. :-/

But it works just the same! ;) :) ;)

We called it a load so we could mud bog our way out with out the truck's front winch helping. :P   We still got mud up hear and I hope it will be ice soon!!

After the R&D load I think it's about what I wanted.    I see a couple things I need to change hear and there but it did a heck of a job for me! ;D   Need a longer wire on the remote, finish all the weiring and the other half of the log bunks and I will be in business!!   I also want to do something to beef up the truck axle it all sits on, that is a bit spooky with a 17 foot by 18" green Birch swinging off it.
Andy

UNCLEBUCK

ADfields ! congratulations on your project , must be a good feeling to see your invention put to the test, I like it ! thanks for the pictures too, its 4 below zero and 4 inches snow here in minnesota , looks like you are in the muddy month  ;)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ADfields

Thanks UNCLEBUCK, It do make a guy proud! ;D   And I could do without the muddy month, around hear it started back in mid September! :(
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!