iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geocaching

Started by Ocklawahaboy, February 02, 2013, 08:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

The search didn't come up with much on geocaching sawyers. 

Just thought I'd throw it out there again to see if there is anyone else who hunts ferrel Tupperware in the woods.  Lots of fun if you asked me.  Www.geocaching.com

JuniperBoss

That's like going out and looking for something isn't it? Kinda like a treasure hunt? Doesn't sound like much for me. What's it like?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

GeorgeK

I know people that love that game but I flew airliners from GPS point to GPS point for years. Been there done that is how I feel.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

say_what My wife has some Plastic Tupperware, that I'm usually hunting a lid for.

Does that count?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnM

Ock, my wife and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago.  We want to start doing it with our kids this Summer.  I've known about it for years but haven't tried it yet.  Plus it gives me an excuse to get a new GPS! 8) :D  Mine is a 15 year old Garmin that's never had an update. :o :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Okrafarmer

Quote from: JohnM on February 03, 2013, 09:07:56 PM
Ock, my wife and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago.  We want to start doing it with our kids this Summer.  I've known about it for years but haven't tried it yet.  Plus it gives me an excuse to get a new GPS! 8) :D  Mine is a 15 year old Garmin that's never had an update. :o :D
JM

:o It might not even be using the same earth we're on now!  :D

My dad and little brother and sister got into a little bit for a while, I think. I don't think they've done it much for a while.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SPIKER

My  GF's Cousin came in from out of state and was into doing the geo-cashing and found one that was local to the family reunion location so we all walked down to it.   There was not MUCH in the cash but we had a good time walking the long way around to get to what was dang near visible from the pavilion the reunion was in... :D ::)

That has been my only experience with it but like most people stated it was some fun to spend with family...

Mark 
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ocklawahaboy

Caches come in all shapes and sizes.  Unfortunately, there isn't much in any of them anymore.  It's mostly about the fun of "the hunt" now.  Any GPS will work, as long as you can put a waypoint in there.  Newer ones work better though.  Smart phones work ok too.  Just like hunting fishing or milling, it can be a very social activity or done all by your lonesome.  You can enjoy it in a parking lot or on a 3 day hike with 10,000 ft elevation change.  My geocaching has been severely curtailed since I got the mill but I plan to do some in the next few days. 

I've spent my whole life going out and about in the ocala national forest but geocaching has taken me to some places I had no idea about.

justallan1

I've never done it, but have heard about it and am interested to learn more. What do you do, go to a certain point and set the memory on a gps and then have someone go find it?

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: justallan1 on February 06, 2013, 08:57:37 AM
I've never done it, but have heard about it and am interested to learn more. What do you do, go to a certain point and set the memory on a gps and then have someone go find it?
The hider uses their GPS to mark the location.  Most hiders follow the guidelines of www.geocaching.com so that their coords may me posted there.  The finder goes to the site via a computer and loads the coords into their gps for the search.  More and more, folks are using their smartphone via an app, to get the cache information.  Once the cache is found, a log book is signed and the find is logged on the website.  There are many other aspects of the game but those are the basics.

justallan1

Thanks Acklawahaboy. Sounds interesting with a few quirks it could be fun.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: justallan1 on February 08, 2013, 09:07:40 PM
Thanks Acklawahaboy. Sounds interesting with a few quirks it could be fun.
Quirks like:
Finding a cache in a blown up safe in the middle of the woods.
Getting to the coords and finding out you have to climb 20 ft up a tree to get it.
Following reflectors through the woods at night to find the cache.
Getting to the cache and needing a black light to get the combination to the lock that's on it. 
And many more...

Most are straightforward though.

Okrafarmer

Oh, if I had 1,000 lives to live, I'd geocache in one of them!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

justallan1

Those quirks would sure be awesome, obviously some folks have as good as an imagination as myself.
I'd probably have people swimming to an island or doing a zip-line. :D

SwampDonkey

Actually, Danny_S, a member I have not seen on here much since he moved to another job, built a saw mill and was a Geocacher to boot. You just did not go deep enough my friends. But, yes there is a Sawmillers' Geocaching thread on the forum already. I will let you dig for it though. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!