iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 head feed/drive not working well

Started by Dan_Shade, March 05, 2018, 08:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm wondering if the bearings that ride against the rail are damaged, is there any easy way to tell?

I was having problems with the hydraulics running too.  I'm afraid that I may have had a bad ground that was arcing through the bearings ... 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

barbender

Hmm...well, I'd check the carriage drive belt first, then the bearings for the carriage.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

An easy way to check the bearings is to remove the carriage drive belt and hand push the head rig.  It should roll smoothly.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Or take a flat bar, and lift the head up a little, put the bar on the main tube just under the bearing mount, turn the bearing with your finger. 

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

WM rep told me a sensitive way to check the cam follower bearings is, even if they are rolling along when you push the head, to apply ATF to the rails and check again, if one has a problem it might start sliding rather than rolling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!